When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

One more vintage PP for the collection...

Lovely watches, but either I'm seeing things or on the first dial pictured, it looks like the markers run through the '15'? Are these gen or rep parts? I can't tell :) Richard

An itemized breakdown on build per watch.

8483544940_aa33aa641b_c.jpg

-Genuine dial in original untouched condition

-Orignal raised/hard enameled fonts/minute chapter/small seconds applied in champleve technique.

-minimal surface damage present and aged/patina shadowing around the markers.

-18k YG numeral hour markers intact and tarnished from age.

-Genuine hands; minute angled to reduce parallax error.

-Genuine 12'''120 movement ca. 1940's

-Custom fabricated steel case

-Genuine crown

-Genuine modern CF Patek Philippe matte brown strap

-Genuine period correct 16mm steel buckle

8531775675_475641f3c1_c.jpg

-Genuine dial in partially retouched condition

-Original raised/hard enameled fonts applied in champleve technique present only on 'PATEK PHILIPPE GENEVE' text.

-Outer minute chapter retouched/reprinted.

-Original vertical brushed surface finish (subtly) present.

-Dial has a small chip on the leading edge between :14 and :15; this is a chip, not a refinisher's indication notch.

-18k YG arrow hour markers intact and tarnished from age.

-Genuine hands; minute and second angled to reduce parallax error

-Genuine 27SC movement ca. 1950's

-Genuine crown

-Genuine period correct 16mm steel buckle

-Strap selection is undecided/pending

-Genuine dial in original untouched condition

-No champleve fonts; this is period correct.

-Dial is on an 18k YG base and is signed/hallmarked as such on the underside of the dial.

-Original vertical brushed finish present.

-Dial has wear patina at the edges where the YG base is showing through; small scratch at 8:00.

-Dial has subtle color changing properties much like the Nautilus dial; it shifts from dark blue to grey depending on light/angle.

-Genuine hands; minute angled to reduce parallax error

-Genuine 23-300 movement ca. 1960's

-Steel case is from an old obscure watch, repurposed for this project

-Genuine crown

-Aftermarket 16mm WG chveron buckle

-Needs a new strap (undecided/pending)

-Aftermarket custom made dial

-Dial is completely fabricated and printed on a new base plate.

-No champleve hard enameled fonts (this era of watch ca. 1940's/1950's should have the hard enameled raised font); dial text/fonts/chapters/graduations pad printed.

-Dial has artifical wear/staining to emulate a 60+ year old dial that has lived life in a case that is not waterproof.

-Markers are rhodium plated.

-Genuine hour/minute hands only; center second and subsidiary hands are custom made.

-Valjoux 23 (which is what the PP 13'''130 is based on).

-Genuine modern CF Patek Philippe shiny black strap

-Genuine 14mm steel buckle

Genuine Patek parts are difficult to find; exceedingly more so than a number of other brands out there. When genuine dials pop up (even with minor flaws/touch ups etc), I don't hesitate to pick them up, especially when priced accordingly to reflect said flaws.

On the last watch (the chronograph), the majority of parts fitted are merely place holders for the time being. As I find other parts along the way, the other watches are all subject to upgrades as well as long as the new parts are an improvement to what I already have.

Lovely. Yes, did you fabricate the cases yourself? CNC'd or old fashioned hammered, filed and polished? :) Also how does a dial get wear on it? I've only ever seen one watch with the same kind of shadow type wear round the numbers and that was my dads. He went blind over a number of years and had a watch where the front crystal could be opened and the user could then feel where the fingers where and tell the time. Richard

I was mainly curious about the 1940s watch, that amount of "dirt" (I really don't think it is dirt though) would only get there after months of handling. I'm guessing its just the 1940s light paint on the dial reacting to the dark metal or paint of the numbers. Good to see the progression of the design over the decades, like the crown wheel going from thick to thin and back to thick again :) Richard

Also how does a dial get wear on it?

The dial is 60 - 70 years old. Who knows what it's experienced in it's life time.

There are a number of gens out there that exhibit dial wear... Most likely from watchmakers over time not taking the proper care or precaution to protect the dial as there was likely never any thought given to the fact that these would someday not only be collectible, but also selling in the $15k - $30k range:

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=301&auctionid=266

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=104&auctionid=262

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=331&auctionid=256

Or perhaps exposure to elements, which somewhat segues into the dials themselves. Some folks have asked me what champleve is. Essentially, it's a form of enamelling where you have a base metal foundation that is carved/engraved and those engravings are filled and fired with enamel. The foundation in this case is the dial which serves as the frame work for the enamel. So... Why choose this method for dial print? During this era, genuine PP and a host of other brands did not have a waterproof case. As such, the dial was produced in a manner that would persevere possible water damage (or contact to other elements), or at least survive to the point of being a candidate for surface refinishing. Since the dial print was hard enamel, it would survive and at least maintan the overall appearance of the dial layout. I also believe this method was employed to prevent fading, etc as well. Or so I've been told.

Here is what champleve looks like:

8416026556_149b237c2e_c.jpg

8414930289_dd2b5234d8_c.jpg

Note that the print and chapter are raised.

That 60s dial looks sexy as hell!

Wow, and I was impressed by your 201... These are serious business. Well done!

Thank you kindly, sirs. Much appreciated  :)

• Like 1

Thank you ubiquitous, always love learning from someone who knows their stuff and obviously likes their hobby / work.

That champleve dial is fantastic, such obvious craftsmanship and skill went into making it.

Richard

My other dials are champleve, but less evident cased/under a crystal in photos:

8483545116_590c3b206c_c.jpg

In these macros, you can actually see the engraving/channel cuts:

I am sure it was a costly method to implement.

What period is this one from?

That dial is late 40's for a 12 ligne movement.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...