When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Traveling to the USA

danhobson17

Hey everybody,

As some of you may have already noticed i have asked questions about traveling with reps before. Ok..... I admit..... I am Mr Paranoid. I am heading to the other side of the pond on Monday and just wondered if i am likely to get any hastle at customs if im wearing my DSSD.

Cheers guys.

As MD2020 said, nobody is stopping you to check the authenticity of your watch at the airport. Maybe if you had multiple watches still in packaging in your luggage they might try to ascertain the value. But otherwise, no worries.

I've traveled to and from the US repeatedly and I've never seen or heard of this or anything similar.

Fret not thyself!

I clear US customs weekly. Granted I get less scrutiny than others but no one would ever notice a watch. They aren't even looking and wouldn't know anything about the watch anyway.

The only time I ever got anything close to questioning regarding a watch, was just after 9-11. At the first passport checkpoint, the officer asked me what time it was. Now since he also had a watch on his wrist, and seemed totally disinterested in the actual time, I could only assume that the question was designed to make sure that what I was wearing was actually a working watch and not a modified detonation device. Put that down to the security paranoia that was prevalent at the time.

Apart from that, nothing.

As someone who travels regularly with small amounts of marijuana I can tell you a wristwatch is the absolute last thing to worry about. Especially because the piece on your wrist is genuine, right? Damn those counterfeiters!

Non-Issue.  You will be fine.

Also, when traveling, I tend to wear long sleeves.  NOT because of reps, which it would hide, but consider the following;

1. If you are sporting serious bling, it will make you less of a target of would be petty-crime or mugging.*
  2. I really don't want my bare skin touching a.) the guy next to me on the plane, b.) grimey arm rests for 4+ hours.
  3. A long sleeve button down or sweater can be more fashionable / professional.  If you look like a mature traveler or business guy, less issues

Again, you will not have an issue...  *And America is actually safer from "petty-theft/crime" than say the pickpockets in Pigalle. ;)

Man, don't give it a second thought. The customs agents aren't going to be worried about watches on someones wrist, they are much more concerned  about someone bringing in contraband food fruit,, stuff like that. I travel through Atlanta on a fairly regular basis, and Ihave carried several watches in my carry-on bag and one on my wrist, never has anyone raised a question. I suppose if you had a dozen brand new Rolex watches in their boxes with papers, etc., in your carryon they would probably take notice especially if you didn't declare them. they might get you for that, but a reasonable number of used watches , no problem. 

Another thing with the sequester BS starting in the USA, I would bet that you are going to see long lines at customs as well as security checkpoints, the agentsare going to be so pressed to get folks through the lines, they aren't going to shake you down for a watch!! Don't be surprised when you deplane, the customs lines are a mile long and pity the poor guy who has a short connection, because he probably isn't going to make it!!!

I traveled to Poland last year and had a brief layover in Zurich. Wore my IWC rep all around the airport and managed to take it off several feet from the IWC boutique. Plopped it right back on once I stepped outside.