When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

James Bond "Goldfinger" replica

Seanpnichols

• 2 months later...

I have finally completed my first 6538 build with a few mods! 

It doesn't look as good as some of the others I've seen here, but I'm happy with it for now. 

It certainly needs more work and I will have it done over time.  What I have done so far includes:

A complete build from Silix with a case that I aged a little.

I sanded down the plexiglass crystal, scratched it up a bit, then I softened the scratches with "Softscrub." 

I may have overdone it with the bezel insert however. 

I installed a replacement dial from Rafflestime with yellow lume that I aged slightly with a few seconds in my toaster oven and a little brown watercolor paint.

I have a vintage-looking lizard strap on the way and eventually I will send it off to have the lugs beveled and maybe have serial numbers engraved.

post-51997-0-83998500-1433195144_thumb.j

post-51997-0-90269700-1433195146_thumb.j

post-51997-0-16185100-1433195148_thumb.j

post-51997-0-62347100-1433195149_thumb.j

post-51997-0-05059300-1433195151_thumb.j

post-51997-0-17797600-1433195152_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

HELP!!!

After enjoying my Silix ROL245 007 build for a few years now, the DG2813 movement that came with it stopped working. :(

I need to replace it but I really need some advice:

1.  Where may I get a replacement DG 2813 movement for a good price?

Rafflestime has been out of stock and there are so many to choose from on eBay.

2.  What kind of movement would work better, last longer and actually fit my Silix ROL245 that I already have?

Where may I get such a movement?

Are you able to replace the movement yourself or will you need to get the work done? A straight like for like swap is the simplest way forward. Fitting a different movement, while possible, isn't so easy.

http://www.allwatchparts.com/-Chinese-Automatic-DG2813-Mechanical-Movement_p_925.html

alternatively Otto Frei should be able to supply one.

• Like 1

I'd probably have someone else to replace it for me since I'm not that good at putting the hands back on.  Been there done that.  LOL

This is my very fist build and getting it to work so it will look good is cool for now.  But whenever I decide to make a better build I'll certainly use a better movement.

Thanks for the link!

• 1 month later...

I got the new DG-2813 movement in really quickly.  But before I install it, I have a few more questions.

While preparing to buy a replacement gilt dial from rafflestime, only because I broke off the little pins that attach the dial to the movement, I see that they now have Rolex marked rotors which I would love to add.  So far they only have them to fit an ETA 2836 or 2824, not my DG-2813.

From my understanding the ETA 2836 or 2824 are both better movements than the 2813.  Will either of these fit the same case as well as my DG-2813 movement?