When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

James Bond "Goldfinger" replica

Seanpnichols

Hi folks.

New guy here with first post after my introduction earlier.  I'm about to purchase what I think is my best choice for a replica of a vintage James Bond "Goldfinger' Submariner. Its Trusty Time's model ROLSUB054.

I'd love to hear some opinions about it first like how happy have purchasers of this watch been overall.  Also could I find a more accurate one somewhere else and what sort of mods should I consider if I want a totally accurate timepiece.  Also, any hints about aging it would be appreciated.

Sean

post-51997-0-87445800-1363052033_thumb.j

If you want a "run of the mill" 6538 rep, this one is OK. it's not very accurate, and it's difficult to mod. It uses non gen construction and it's hard to get gen/aftermarket parts to fit. i would suggest that you read a lot before ordering anyrthing. there have been some awsome 6538  builds herem, but you need to read about what it takes to make and accurate "James Bond"

• Like 2

The Dial on the 6538 is a dead giveaway that its a rep. But if its your first foray into reps then its is a good price. I bought one ages ago but didnt like it so sold it and saved up to buy a more convincing one.

I reccomend that you wait until the dealers have the better 6538 back in stock and that would be a better starting point. Member Daz can mod it for you once they become available again to make it way better. A bit off topic but I was reading an old thread from another forum where some dealer came across this box of goodies. There's really not much I wouldn't do for one of these dials let alone the entire box, wtf!?

post-38788-0-12970700-1363062082_thumb.j

post-38788-0-54903900-1363062097_thumb.j

Just ordered this watch from http://www.theonewatch.net ,as far as I can find this the most accurate James Bond Rolex rep I could find, at least by basic looks (large crown with Bevet on it, no crown gaurds, non-graduated bezel, correct markings.) Might be hard to mod, but since its already so close to the exact Bond Rolex, and I'm only buying it for style, I think this will do me just fine.

I looked on that site vinnie, the only 6538's are these two and they are far from accurate imo. There's actually so many things wrong I'm too lazy to list them all... But a pic is worth a thousand words, I hope the one you ordered was not one of these.

post-38788-0-80268100-1363098575_thumb.j

post-38788-0-60901700-1363098583_thumb.j

post-38788-0-05931300-1363098592_thumb.j

post-38788-0-40529000-1363098600_thumb.j

post-38788-0-55356500-1363098610_thumb.j

I looked on that site vinnie, the only 6538's are these two and they are far from accurate imo. There's actually so many things wrong I'm too lazy to list them all... But a pic is worth a thousand words, I hope the one you ordered was not one of these.

No, I was this one, a 6205, sorry a bit off topic http://www.theonewatch.net/Watches/Swiss+Catalog/Rolex+Swiss/SUBMARINER/ROLEX+-+Vintage+50s+James+Bond+Sub+6205+SSAndNato+Blk+A-2836_10569.html

Edited by vinniegeorge138

Isn't that the exact same watch I found on TT's site and posted a pic of earlier but cheaper?  Even the the pics are the same.

Most likely, thats why I brought mine up. I originally was going to use TT, but if I remember correctly they don't take Paypal, and thats what I wanted to use. After A LOT of searching I found this watch on that site for way cheaper than other sites had it, with free shipping, and they take Paypal. I'm still waiting for the watch to show up (fingers crossed that its exactly whats pictured) but so far they have been amazing with keeping in contact and answering questions via email.

This is the Cartel Big Crown

file_zps91f8bcee.jpg

I find the case in no way inferior to the Silix to be honest.

Takes the same parts as the Silix case does and I'm 90% positiv it's actually the same case as Silix ETA version, just more expensive.

(A & J are always more expensive)

Both dials need work and aren't exactly 1:1 ;)

Edited by Akira
  • Like 2

Sweet! I'm learning that many of these dealers carry product from the same factory or the same dealer may have more than one site. I can get a little confusing if you're a stickler for detail like I'm trying to be.

I think this may be a great one for me to start off with, until I gather enough nerve to actually build one. I already have the corrct 18mm NATO strap on order as well.

• Like 1

Sweet! I'm learning that many of these dealers carry product from the same factory or the same dealer may have more than one site. I can get a little confusing if you're a stickler for detail like I'm trying to be.

I think this may be a great one for me to start off with, until I gather enough nerve to actually build one. I already have the corrct 18mm NATO strap on order as well.

I also already have the correct strap, (remember green stripes outlined in red on black, not the widely believed gray stripes!) Was very surprised by how thin a 18mm strap really is. :)

Vinnie, the only one that is close is this http://www.theonewatch.net/Watches/Swiss+Catalog/Rolex+Swiss/SUBMARINER/ROLEX+-+Vintage+50s+James+Bond+Sub+6205+SSAndNato+Blk+A-2836_10569.html

They call it a "6205" but that is the wrong watch for a 6205, and you want a 6538. I don't think it matters much as the 'look' is about the same. But it does say what they know - and don't know. They list one in 'asian' but have no picture. 

They list the bezel as being unidirectional, but it should be bidirectional and no clicks. They say it is a hacking movement, it shouldn't be but I'd guess most other dealer's watches need that mod as well. 

This is not one of our recommended dealers, so you are on your own. I hope you get your watch, and it's close to what you wanted. . 

• Like 1

I also already have the correct strap, (remember green stripes outlined in red on black, not the widely believed gray stripes!) Was very surprised by how thin a 18mm strap really is. :)

Actually if you compare, the strap is more likely a 16mm, not 18mm as so many, including me, believe. I read quite a few sites about the watch, Bond and Broccoli, etc., and found only one site said that the strap was 16mm and blue, NOT black. I went with 18mm and black anyway. 

post-16926-0-75299700-1363109241_thumb.jpost-16926-0-99831100-1363109265_thumb.jpost-16926-0-21948400-1363109283_thumb.j

• Like 1