When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

James Bond "Goldfinger" replica

Seanpnichols

Vinnie, the only one that is close is this http://www.theonewatch.net/Watches/Swiss+Catalog/Rolex+Swiss/SUBMARINER/ROLEX+-+Vintage+50s+James+Bond+Sub+6205+SSAndNato+Blk+A-2836_10569.html

They call it a "6205" but that is the wrong watch for a 6205, and you want a 6538. I don't think it matters much as the 'look' is about the same. But it does say what they know - and don't know. They list one in 'asian' but have no picture. 

They list the bezel as being unidirectional, but it should be bidirectional and no clicks. They say it is a hacking movement, it shouldn't be but I'd guess most other dealer's watches need that mod as well. 

This is not one of our recommended dealers, so you are on your own. I hope you get your watch, and it's close to what you wanted. . 

Thank you for the info, but I am only buying it for looks, and the unidirectional bezel and hacking movement are more than fine to me. I understand it is not a recommended dealer, but I've read a handful of the reviews off this site and others about it and everything is positive. They have kept in contact, and answered every question honestly and I have a Fedex tracking number. They guaranteed its exact as what pictured, and can return it within 30 days if anythings wrong. I also paid with Paypal which has its 45 day dispute claims if I have any problems. I understand even with all this something can go wrong but as of now I see no reason to feel uncomfortable about my buy. I do appreciate every ones concern and wishing me luck and in time I will either be posting pictures of my new watch or writing the seller a nasty review on here.

I was also concerned about the incorrect hacking, bezel direction and clicking.  But I figure these things would be addressed once I send it off to get modified.

I am concerned now that since I just went through a lengthy process of registering and tried to order from Theonewatch, I'm taken to a window that says "We are sorry to inform you that: This transaction from www.theonewatch.net is counterfeited and rejected by the system.

What does this mean???

I was also concerned about the incorrect hacking, bezel direction and clicking.  But I figure these things would be addressed once I send it off to get modified.

I am concerned now that since I just went through a lengthy process of registering and tried to order from Theonewatch, I'm taken to a window that says "We are sorry to inform you that: This transaction from www.theonewatch.net is counterfeited and rejected by the system.

What does this mean???

No idea, I didn't run into this problem at all. I do know if you email their Gmail account they should get back to you with answers within the next few hours.

I've placed my order as well and sent payment today. I've even ordered my first Spring Bar Tool to use when I receive the black "Dr. No" crocodile strap.I'm about to order from TT.  This may be fun.  lol

Good to hear about the quick fixes on the hacking and clicking.

I've placed my order as well and sent payment today. I've even ordered my first Spring Bar Tool to use when I receive the black "Dr. No" crocodile strap.I'm about to order from TT.  This may be fun.  lol

Good to hear about the quick fixes on the hacking and clicking.

haha I was planning on doing the same, however that watch has a fixed lug bar I think, not spring.

I just noticed something pretty interesting.

I've always thought that Sean Connery wore a black croc/alligator/leather strap on his 6538 in "Dr. No," and "From Russia with Love." But after looking at these pics I'm beginning to wonder if the strap isn't actually a dark brown instead.

Thoughts?

post-51997-0-13710100-1363243407_thumb.j

post-51997-0-33042500-1363243423_thumb.j

Isn't there a 6241 movedel that we can use for this build that ACTUALLY has a gen like bezel construction?  I love the big crown Bond, specially being a skin diver and spear fisherman. I love wearing an old watch for its simplicity and history as well. The Bond is still a grail, but waiting for a good canditate. Already build a 6538 and a 6200. The SIlix is not a bad candidate, but just doesn't cut it for me.

Just MHO

E

Take a look at the 'cartel' 1655 that is being used to make the 1675. I have one that I have removed the crown guards on to make a 6542 case. The case looks very close, it is gen like crystal/bezel mount, but still needs the coin edge bezel, and I can't find one of those for under $300 - yet. 

Watch is on the way, correct NATO strap , 18mm and 20mm, on the way,  person to do a few modifications already contacted.  Now that I've pretty much decided to go with the dark brown crocodile strap I need to actually find one.  The best one I've found so far, with the Rolex crown on the buckle is from TT.  But its way too light.  May have to learn how to darken it maybe with dark brown show polish.

Any suggestions about the strap and/or color?

post-51997-0-87622200-1363565796_thumb.j

Yuki has the brown croc like strap, then you just add the Rolex buckle

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/6784664/8586801.htm

Also, check out http://www.fredawatchstraps.com/

Some of those Hadley Roma straps are good- you just need to make sure they're 20 x 16

Last time I watched Dr. No, I could have sweared that the strap on Bond's Rolex was black croc, but either looks good, but I'm partial to dark brown myself.

I've always thought the strap was black, until I saw the pics I posted above.  I always thought Sean's hair was black but I see its dark brown also.

And one thing I really like about the strap from TT is that it has all the correct Rolex markings on the inside.  I've found some interesting gen straps on ebay.

Well, lesson learned not to go outside the trusted dealers. After finally recieving my order from theonewatch, I ended up getting a Sub that was nothing at all like what was pictured. They told me they would pay to have it shipped back (which they did) and would mail me the correct watch. 3 days later they email me that the manufacturer is all out of the watch, and refunded me my money. So now I am back to ground zero :(

If anyone can send me links where I can find this watch, or build one under 250 I would greatly appreciate it, preferably places that accept paypal. It's so weird that such a famous watch is one of the harder ones to find good reps of.

Edited by vinniegeorge138

"It's so weird that such a famous watch is one of the harder ones to find good reps of."

That's one of the reasons why it's fun for me to make them, the reps are not good and so it's a real challenge to get one right. I would just wait for the better versions to be available again and then get akira or Daz to work their magic and make it better. You'll need a bit more money but you have some time to save up

• Like 1

Hey vinniegeorge138, I just got an email this moring saying the same thing about the watch not being available.  I was also offered a refund but decided to go with a replacement Omega Speedmaster instead.  Hopefully we can call it even because of the troubles.

I also know of another site that has the 6538 and they're actualy a trusted dealer here.

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11&products_id=6694

Until we're ready to start building our own, this may be our last resort.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The replacement Omega Speedy is on its way, and Andew from TT confrimed that he has the 6538 in stock.

Will critique the Speedy in another post and will continue the hunt for the 6538 here.

Still doing research on building a 6538 eventually and may need advice on rep parts, gen parts, etc.

The replacement Omega Speedy is on its way, and Andew from TT confrimed that he has the 6538 in stock.

Will critique the Speedy in another post and will continue the hunt for the 6538 here.

Still doing research on building a 6538 eventually and may need advice on rep parts, gen parts, etc.

I also went with an Omega, the Skyfall Seamaster with glass back. Good to know TT deff has the Rolex.

Joey, may I ask where you got your Bond-esque strap? I've been looking for that color scheme (black in place of blue) but in the 20mm size. I see several on EBay that look OK, just not sure if they are junk or not.

As it turned out, it was the least expensive on Ebay at the time. I didn't check to see if he had any other sizes. It seems fine to me. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190799622360?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Like 1

Thanks Joey, I went with this one from the same seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nylon-Buckle-20mm-James-Bond-BLACK-MOSS-Nato-Ballistic-Military-Watch-STRAP-/190819993562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6dc207da It's just like yours except 'moss' in the band instead of 'green'. Comparing the two in pictures 'moss' appears to be more olive drab green.