When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

James Bond "Goldfinger" replica

Seanpnichols

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about getting one of these, but I was checking some sites and by my, really poor, knowledge, the various dials, bezels, are not accurately made. Also the strap seems to be different, keeping in mind that's a single shot taken from the film, where the watch is illuminated by a lighter.

The biggest differences I noticed in the various reps are the two rows "200 metres... " being placed too above, too far from the 6 marker. Also the numbers on the bezels are too big than the originals and they all connect, or almost connect, against the inner part of the bezels while the originals are almost against the outer side.

So I'm looking if there might be something useful to make this beauty.

This is the link to one of the many sites talking about Bond's watches: http://rolexblog.blogspot.it/2005/02/chapter-3-sean-connerythe-original.html

Hope it's not already been posted.

B)

there are reports on homageforum that the tiger case only accepts 28mm dials... i believe the rafflestime one takes their own 29mm dials... I had wanted to do a helenarou sterile 6538 bond gilt dial in a tiger case but it looks like it isnt possible unless you either grind down the edges of the helenarou dial (in which case the chapter ring on the dial will still be too close to the rehaut) or else open the rehaut on the tiger case AND machine the inside of the dial area out to 29mm...

joeyb, what dial did you use in your tiger cased mod up there ^^ ?

Edited by shadeone

I like it. Is the raffles standard? Or do you need to ask for the "branded" version?

Make sure to ask for a branded big crown. I like it, too. The Athaya is probably closer to gen. But it's nice and substantial. And you don't have to go through the whole redrilling and tapping like you do with Athaya.

It's the same case from Rafflestime. It will take a 28.3mm dial, but the maximum is a 29mm. I made my own from sheet brass and 29mm is a flush fit. 

I finally got a response back from tiger concept directly regarding this....

I quote:

"the largest dial that fit this case is 28.2mm and the opening area that can see the dial is 26.5mm"

Someone on homageforum stated that the brown jiao-dragon dials that tiger concept sells seperate on their site (http://www.tiger-concept.com) do not fit the big crown cases they sell because the dials are 29.2mm

joeyb, how old is your case from them? I know they used to have one with a huge tropic-39 superdome type crystal on it but now they are correct profile for a 6538... im thinking maybe they switched the dial stuff too?

Mine is from over a year ago. I received a PM last night from jerkstore telling me that he received a "v2". So it could be they switched.  Back when I bought it I had PM'd onlinestorehk and he seemed reasonable. I know Ken at Rafflestime is very good. I would trust Ken more just because he knows RWG gives him a lot of business. I'd PM both and ask.  Always politely let Ken at Rafflestime know you are a member here. It will help.