When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Preview - My Superfranken DSSD

chiman12

I have scaled back my project time substantially due to my new position at work.  I try to capture precious moments to spend with the family and complete projects that have been stalled for extended periods of time.

I've always had a fascination with the DSSD.  The watch itself is an engineering marvel and this is why I purchase an ultimate noob DSSD.  This rep, IMO, is the closest to the original in terms of engineering.

But I was never quite satisfied with the small "nuances" that came along with the noob ultimate.  In particular is the bezel assembly...and this will be the first phase of my DSSD superfranken project. 

I purchased a genuine DSSD bezel assembly of fleabay and test fitted it on the noob case...no shocker here...the claimed 1:1 nood DSSD isn't really 1:1...

DSCN1063_zpsd89f9e66.jpg

The genuine assembly doesn't fit all the way down to the case.  So the endeavor to modify the case to make the gen bezel assembly starts...

After a few hours and a tiny chip on the crystal...success!!!

DSCN1126.jpg

Those bold and bigger fonts on the genuine insert can't be matched by any rep insert...

DSCN1128.jpg

DSCN1127.jpg

Side profile of the case with the genuine crystal.  The genuine insert fits perfectly around the crystal.  The crystal protrudes ever so slightly above the insert.

DSCN1130.jpg

DSCN1129.jpg

Stay tuned for phase two of the project...replace the factory date wheel overlay and installing the genuine dial...

• Like 1

Chiman you've got all the right parts now for the ultimate franken! Kudos. Theres no mistaking the depth and bold font of the gen insert.

Agree the noob DSSD case and especially first bracelet link is the most accurate.

How do I remove bezel assy on my noob DSSD? Tried to pull off with much force but no luck. Any tips? Thanks.

Edited by m5smg2

Cool. How to you mod the case to accept the gen assembly?

A lot of sweat, tears and pain!  No...actually the top part of the crystal opening was machined with more of a slope to accept the gen.

Chiman you've got all the right parts now for the ultimate franken! Kudos. Theres no mistaking the depth and bold font of the gen insert.

Agree the noob DSSD case and especially first bracelet link is the most accurate.

How do I remove bezel assy on my noob DSSD? Tried to pull off with much force but no luck. Any tips? Thanks.

What I did is used two bergeon caseback tools and slowly worked around the bezel until it came off. It's a pain, but it will come off and the bezel will most likely be bent.  To straighten out the bezel, put it between to blocks of softer wood (pine) and slap it into a vise and squeeze...

• 8 months later...