When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scotch Lovers - What are you drinking?

Rick James

What's everyone drinking these days? Here's what's on my office counter:

Fl8Joaf.jpg

Scotch wise we've got:

Lonach - Bunnahabhain 1968 (40 years)

Lonach - Tomatin 1965 (43 years)

Duncan Taylor - Strathisla 1968 (43 years)

Duncan Taylor - The Octave - Caperdonich 1972 (38 years)

Also about to enjoy a 2004 Chateau Pontet-Canet, it's just ripe :).

Damn, I don't have access to most of those scotch, the government controls all alcohol sales in my province.

I have

1) Bowmore 100 degrees proof - my special occasion drink. it has a really nice smoky flavor, got it from Heathrow airport in London.

2) Tobermory Isle of Mull - my regular drink. pretty ok, some spicy flavor.

Edited by praetor

I can`t stand alcohol.... But you guys make it sound delicious!

If I drink it I scrunch my face up, and I would be a lousy hardass cowboy in bar in the old west *lol*

Having been a bourbon man for year I have recently developed a taste for Chivas

Chivas is not a bad drink. Certainly worth an order if that's what the bar has.

Glenrothe!

I like Glenrothes, it's a good choice for Speyside, especially if you like a sherry finish.

Those are some seriously nice drops you have.  Wow.

Is there a connection between Houston and Aberdeen, Scotland there?  The oil industry is massive in Aberdeen, and so much of the whisky is not far down the road.

Damn, I don't have access to most of those scotch, the government controls all alcohol sales in my province.

I have

1) Bowmore 100 degrees proof - my special occasion drink. it has a really nice smoky flavor, got it from Heathrow airport in London.

2) Tobermory Isle of Mull - my regular drink. pretty ok, some spicy flavor.

Thanks guys, I am pretty lucky! Not sure if there is a connection between Houston and Scotland, but if there is a massive oil industry in Aberdeen then it stands to reason there is. Houston is huge in the energy/oil trade. The way that I have access to these bottles is through the massive Specs liquor store in downtown Houston on Smith st. It's a HUGE store and they carry basically everything you can think of from caviar to booze and cigars. They spoil us with selection of wine and spirits that I've never been able to find so readily in one place. i.e. I can go in and buy a bottle of wine from a small estate that you'd never see in a store, or a bottle of scotch from a small batch of 50 made.

I've never had Bowmore or Tobermory, I should try them out.

Oban, but on a regular basis, or just after work either McAllan 18, or Highland Park of the same age. For an everyday highlands Scotch, the prices are ridiculous where I live and the smoothness coupled with a nice cigar is alright by me.

I love Macallan 18, the sherry finish is amazing. Also I'm a fan of Highland Park 18 too, it's also very good. Personally I'd pick a Macallan 18 over the highland park if you take money out of the equation, but if you pop the money back in the Highland Park 18 is so much value for your money.

Wow would really like to try that Bunnahabhain of yours! The 12 year old I have its amazing... Also like mckallan and jonnie walker gold label is a personal favourite. Also like Tallisker :-)

What I really like about the Bunnahabhain is that it's so different from the traditional Islay. It's just so delicate and smooth compared with what you normally expect from an Islay which is overwhelming peat and smoke. This on the other hand is very smokey, but in a very refined way.

Damn, now i have to drink one!! :) and i have only a very bad Chivas.... :( all the rest is gone.....since it was really cold! :)

You have a great collection Sir!

Thanks! Chivas is a good go-to drink for sure.

Lagavulin 16 for me.

I like Lagavulin 16, the smoke and peat is great. It's almost like having a mouth full of smoked meats, delicious.

Wow ! That's an impressive collection.

I'm Irish so I usually drink whiskey. Bushmills is my usual, their 16 yo is sublime.

Thanks! This is whiskey too, just Scotch whiskey instead of Irish whiskey. I do enjoy Irish whiskey at times.

Balvenie Double Wood is one of my favourites. And a nice Laphroaig from time to time but that's not for Whisky beginners... ;)

Laphroaig 18 is great, but yea not for beginners.

I can`t stand alcohol.... But you guys make it sound delicious!

If I drink it I scrunch my face up, and I would be a lousy hardass cowboy in bar in the old west *lol*

Lol. I think most of us were that way at some point, especially when younger. First time I tried a beer I didn't really like it and I couldn't imagine how I would have reacted to a sip of whiskey. I was just lucky that my parents had good stuff at home so when I started to sneak beers/wine it was good beer/wine and not bud lite. So I developed a taste for the good stuff early.

Not really a fan of Macallan until I had this, ACE'd in Chateau Petrus casks.  :tu:

post-19479-0-23076900-1363585751_thumb.j

Currently on shelf:

1984 Yamazaki*

Lagavulin 16yr

Ardbeg 10

Bowmore Darkest 15yr

Hakushu 12yr*

Yamazaki 12yr*

Bruichladdich Laddy 10

Tullibardine 1993, Sherry Wood

*Technically not Scotch from Scotland, but the Japanese are doing wonderful Scotch Method Whisky.

Wow, you guys have some awesome bottles.

My modest scotch collection includes:

1. Ardbeg Uigeadail - The best whisky I ever tasted, and by far the best one I have.

2. Ardbeg 10 YO.

3. Talisker 10 YO.

4. Lagavulin 16 YO.

5. The Glenrothes Select Reserve

6. Highland Park 16 YO

7. Glenfiddich 18 YO

8. Cutty Sark Imperial Kingdom

9. Cutty Sark 12 YO

10. Islay Mist

11. Teachers

12. Jack Daniels

13. Chivas

14. Grant's Ale Cask

15. Grant's Sherry Cask

16. Bruichladdich 1994 - Worst whisky I ever had. Bruichladdich has some amazing whiskies, just not this one.

@rickjames I meant I drink Whiskey as opposed to Whisky ,

There's no "e" in Scotch Whisky ;)

Meh, it's all the same, Scotch just gets written as whisky, it's the same family of drinks that includes rye, bourbon etc... Canadian whisky is also spelled without the 'e', but it's not scotch. I know many will disagree, but to me it's the same word spelled differently, ie. color vs colour, check vs cheque, aluminum vs aluminium, etc.. But yes you're right, Scotch labels Scotch specifically as 'whisky' instead of 'whiskey'.

Not really a fan of Macallan until I had this, ACE'd in Chateau Petrus casks.  :tu:

attachicon.gifsmP1010736.JPG

Currently on shelf:

1984 Yamazaki*

Lagavulin 16yr

Ardbeg 10

Bowmore Darkest 15yr

Hakushu 12yr*

Yamazaki 12yr*

Bruichladdich Laddy 10

Tullibardine 1993, Sherry Wood

*Technically not Scotch from Scotland, but the Japanese are doing wonderful Scotch Method Whisky.

Not a bad selection :). That Macallan looks delicious! I should try some of the Japanese offerings, I haven't yet.

Wow, you guys have some awesome bottles.

My modest scotch collection includes:

1. Ardbeg Uigeadail - The best whisky I ever tasted, and by far the best one I have.

2. Ardbeg 10 YO.

3. Talisker 10 YO.

4. Lagavulin 16 YO.

5. The Glenrothes Select Reserve

6. Highland Park 16 YO

7. Glenfiddich 18 YO

8. Cutty Sark Imperial Kingdom

9. Cutty Sark 12 YO

10. Islay Mist

11. Teachers

12. Jack Daniels

13. Chivas

14. Grant's Ale Cask

15. Grant's Sherry Cask

16. Bruichladdich 1994 - Worst whisky I ever had. Bruichladdich has some amazing whiskies, just not this one.

That's a pretty decent list :). The Lagavulin 16 is a great bottle, so is the Glenfiddich 18 and Highland Park.

Edited by Rick James