When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scotch Lovers - What are you drinking?

Rick James

Haha! Yup they are ridiculous nice. I had lunch at the French Laundry near Napa CA last year and snapped that pic in a room by the bathroom. TFL is in a French country house with a huge private organic garden used for ingredients across the street. Here's another pic of some spirits.

3uvy2u9e.jpg

For those who didn't know, TFL is consistently ranked by many different reviewers as a top 10 restaurant in the world for over a decade.

"The French Laundry has recently added a spirits program, geared toward after-dinner drinks to be enjoyed with cigars and mignardises in the courtyard. The Scoop has the details, and it should go without saying that this is a high-roller's list of booze choices, with everything from 60-year-old agricole rum, to 70-year-old vintage Chartreuse. Glasses of Scotch start at $75 (for an 18-year-old Macallan in Lalique), and go up to $1,950 (for the 57-year-old, mixed vintage In Lalique III). Also, there's a 1950 Old Fitzgerald bourbon for $1,750 a glass, and a 100-year-old Queen's Silver Jubilee Cognac from Hennessey for $1,450. There are some more reasonable options, like after-dinner wines starting at $20 a glass, but then you get to the cigar menu, with the "pre-embargo Cubans" section at the rear, which includes an 1868, five-inch cigar for $595. Should you be looking to drop $10,000 on dinner, The French Laundry is happy to help you spend that sum. Behold" PDF http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/files/2013/05/French-Laundry-Spirits-List-4-27-13.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fire ball tonight , nice change of pace!

fireball_whisky_by_everythingphotos-d3dm

Fireball... mixes well with any of the Apple Ales, try that for a change of pace.

As to Scotch, personally I enjoy Glenmorangie 'The Quinta Ruban', interesting finish due to aging two years in Port casks; not bad, in fact very fine for a 12 year old.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just had a glass of Yamazaki single malt by Suntory.

I would say that this Japanese whiskey can stand up to most scotches out there.

ee7464997521ab3d67d05ee26a197fb0.jpg

The Japanese scotch scene has exploded in the past decade. Their whiskey bars are full of energy, tightly packed with amazing selections on their shelves. Really doing great things over there, especially in Tokyo and inner Kyoto.

If you want to sample some other Japanese fare, I highly recommend the 15 yo Nikka Yoichi. Alternatively if you prefer peat, the 12yo Hakushu is a stand out.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, tried the Lagavulin 16 and the A'bunadh cask strength - highly, highly recommended! The A'bunadh is great - 120 proof and a wonderful blend of cinnamon, cloves, and orange rind; the Spanish sherry casks really come through. The Lagaluvin is kind of your typical islay - a hint of peat with some great citrus notes behind it.

Tried Balvenie 12 year double-wood... Eh...

Good, but nothing to write home about; not like the previous two I recommended. Those were fantastic. This one, while good, was kind of lackluster. Tiny hints of vanilla in the rear palate but nothing besides honey on the mids... Kind of reminded me of a weak Jameson's. (is that sacrilege to talk about Irish whiskey in a scotch thread?)