When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scotch Lovers - What are you drinking?

Rick James

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a bottle of Macallan 12 year; was good, but not quite to my taste (I need to note that I'm not much of a drinker to begin with, and my palate is quite unrefined). I ended up giving that to my mom-in-law.

Looking to try Macallan 17 year next, and Glenmorangie Nectar D'or on the advice of a friend.

I have chivas and put ice on it. i also have royal salute and JW blue

what are the rules for drinking scotch?

On ice or plain Jane?

Further are single malts better?

I have tried jw- black, blue, gold, double black. Love the JW blue taste.

You can drink scotch, whisky, etc.. with ice or even a splash of water. Most people wont drink expensive scotch on the rocks. However a mid-high end scotch will be cask strength, high proof, and you could use a VERY SMALL piece of ice to cool it down just a hair and water it down a tiny little bit.  You may find certain single malts (extremely peaty ones) can benefit from a small amount of ice or water. of course it's all personal choice, use as much ice as you like.

I also know people that like those whisky stones, but IMO the ones I've seen are all [censored], because the math/science says they can't work. Maybe there are some better stones made out of other materials, or ones containing a core made of something with a high specific heat. The reason ice works well to cool a drink, is that it's specific heat is high and as ice melts into water it's specific heat actually gets higher.

Whether or not single malt or blended drink is better, is also a matter of personal choice. Some people love blends, blends tend to be more consistent taste wise through the years. They also tend to be a bit gentler on the palate. Single malts that are cask strength, especially the boutique ones can vary quite a bit cask to cask and year to year in terms of taste, quality, color, alcohol content, etc... Mass market single malts don't really vary (i.e. Macallan, Glenlivet, etc...) with the exception of some of their small batch special bottles. I personally prefer single malts as I find a lot of blended drinks have less character and are less interesting. The cool thing with a good single malt is that its going to be very representative of what it is, how it's made and where it's from.

Edited by Rick James

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...