When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Davidsen New 111 H With New Front Dial

t

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it is a hell of a lot closer. Aah, the "A". :)

That's one small step for mAn, one giant leap for mAnkind. Wrong font or right font..Davidsen has gone where no repmaker has dared venture before, the uncharted territory of the correct A's. :3a:

Is it the wrong font? I've looked at so many fonts recently, I couldn't tell the difference beteen Arial and Wingdings.

ON EDIT: On the downside, Davidsen seems to be charging a $40 per "A" premium over comparable models...

NO NO NO NO NO WAY!

This font is terrible.....what is the deal with davidsen....why does the attention to detail end with dial print...

When he provides the correct font i will be the first in line...

this looks like a chinatown dial...

This looks much worse than the old font to me. It looks almost hand printed. The letter spacing is wrong and inconsistent.

I think that the efforts he's going to, to accomodate are commendable.

As far as the font, to be honest, I can't see that much of a difference between the new and gen. Can someone explain what I should be looking for as they look pretty good. (Still looking for my first Pam and thought I might try this one.)

As far as the font, to be honest, I can't see that much of a difference between the new and gen. Can someone explain what I should be looking for as they look pretty good. (Still looking for my first Pam and thought I might try this one.)

I believe these are the same fonts, but different kerning and boldness applied to them. Maybe OP uses Bold Condensed? Davidsen's letters should definitelyt be squeezed a little--not the spacing between them, but rather each letter itself. Also, it looks like the gen definitely uses the bold version of the font while davidsen tried to copy the thickness by adjusting the letters. Doesn't provide the same look.

If anyone can tell me what the OEM font is, I'd be happy to make a 1:1 vector file and email it to anyone w/ dial printing capabilites by the end of the day.

Below is a side by side of a Davidsenjpn dial and a gen.

post-53-1164300148_thumb.jpg

Due to the number of detailed discussions on here about watches and gen vs rep and small details I am SHOCKED some people cannot see this or do not care...?!?

the font is wrong, the spacing is wrong and the size is wrong.

The color of the font is also wrong.

anything else?

great!!!

maybe you could work with davidsen to actually get his dial to match the quality of his other parts...

that would be amazing!!

thanks for any help

I believe these are the same fonts, but not the same version of whatever font OP is using. Maybe OP uses Bold Condensed? Davidsen's letters should definitelyt be squeezed a little--not the spacing between them, but rather each letter itself. Also, it looks like the gen definitely uses the bold version of the font while davidsen tried to copy the thickness by adjusting the letters. Doesn't provide the same look.

If anyone can tell me what the OEM font is, I'd be happy to make a 1:1 vector file and email it to anyone w/ dial printing capabilites by the end of the day.

Below is a side by side of a Davidsenjpn dial and a gen.

Well I've just pulled the trigger.... it will be shipped next week and I'll post a review soon as it arrives.

JG

Edit: just asked Davidsen to explain whats going on with the crown- must admit it looks odd

Update: just had email from Davidsen confirming that the crown in his pictures is a prototype and the watches he ships will have a perfect crown. He is going to upload new pics later.

I can live with the font!!

JG

Due to the number of detailed discussions on here about watches and gen vs rep and small details I am SHOCKED some people cannot see this or do not care...?!?

the font is wrong, the spacing is wrong and the size is wrong.

The color of the font is also wrong.

anything else?

Chad, the font itself is not wrong. There are several ways to "set" a font that makes it look different from its "base" look. You can tell by the A the P and the N that Davidsen figured out the right font. He just did a wholly inadequate job of setting the typeface, thus the spacing and size problems you're seeing.

The color problem, I bet, is because Davidesen does not have the capability to print using a pure white spot color--when that happens people use the lightest shade of yellow or gray they can.