When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Black Dial Stainless Steel Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph 43mm

SSTEEL

Hi guys, as some may of already read in the link below, I received my Tag Heuer Carrera Chrono today from Trevor, and promised in that thread I would post some eye candy of the watch, and share with you my impressions of this timepiece.. 

For those who have yet to read it, here's the TD Review of my buying experience from Trevor.  The watch came very well packaged, and 11 days from payment to wrist.

Onto the watch.  This is the Tag Heuer Carrera Chronograph Automatic rep with sec@9, and fully functional chronograph. It's the plain black dial model, with black bezel, stainless steel bracelet, and see-thru case back.

I was already well informed on the flaws of this rep (thanks to the many of you who have shared their experiences with this model, and reviews of it), and I have to say, although knowing of them did not put me off my purchase at all, as I really loved the look of this rep. Kind of reminded me on an old Swatch I had many moons ago, but better :)

Upon receiving the watch, it had all its protective covering on, the bracelet, dial, bezel, and back case all were protected.

My first impressions of opening the package was wow, just wow, what a beautiful watch, it reaps of quality, weight solid feel, and certainly has prescence on the wrist.  Talking of which, the bracelet needs a link removing as it wears a little loose for my liking, so if anyone would like to share on a good pin removal tool, that would be great.

In case you are unaware of the flaws/tells of this model Tag, they are as follows..

1. The letter G of the name TAG on the dial above the day/date window is missing it's pointy arrows that the gen has.
2. Blue screws in the movement are visible through the case back window.  Gen are silver screws.
3. The rotor of the movement has the incorrect amount of bevels engraved, two or three less than gen.
4. The red paint used on the tips of the chronograph big hand, and the smaller hands of the 6&9 sub-dials are a darker red colour than gen, the gen is more of a bright blood red.

Given the above flaws/tells, as said earlier, these alone did not put me off buying this rep, its stunning in the flesh, and my photos below simpley don't do it justice.

The bracelet, and clasp are of great, solid quality, with a positive click fasten and unfasten of it's clasp.  Good engravings.

Anyway, I have a bad habit of rambling on, especially about something I have passion for, and that is watches.  Ok ok, I hear ya!  Onto the eye candy.  I tried to capture this watch as well as I could for you all, sorry about the smudges etc, enjoy, and thanks for reading/looking. ;)

SANY0318_zps9352294c.jpg
SANY0319_zps6fca3d6e.jpg
SANY0320_zpsc115ad7b.jpg
SANY0321_zps9985a420.jpg
SANY0322_zpsb4282bf6.jpg
SANY0323_zps4f95bae3.jpg
SANY0324_zps2ebf8497.jpg
SANY0325_zps004de22c.jpg
SANY0326_zps577e33e6.jpg
SANY0327_zps7d0946a2.jpg
SANY0328_zpsb04d5803.jpg
SANY0329_zps1edbdb8d.jpg
SANY0330_zpsdfea6d19.jpg
SANY0331_zpsdd3630a5.jpg
SANY0332_zpsf4a8b882.jpg
SANY0333_zps2107b607.jpg
SANY0334_zps93967b90.jpg
SANY0335_zps7d411443.jpg
SANY0336_zps6b4e21a5.jpg
SANY0337_zps7b193b77.jpg
SANY0338_zps5b5058ab.jpg
SANY0339_zps9a903801.jpg
SANY0340_zpscab045e8.jpg
Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 2

Great looking watch, the dial on this looks better than the dial on my DayDate, better colour, I think the AR on the crystal is better on these newer versions as well. I ordered one for a friend and the one that came in looked a little better than mine.

I did notice that the Subdial hand for the Chronograph Hours is misaligned, pretty easy fix if you have the tools, pop the hand off and install it at Zero, otherwise it looks really great.

Great looking watch, the dial on this looks better than the dial on my DayDate, better colour, I think the AR on the crystal is better on these newer versions as well. I ordered one for a friend and the one that came in looked a little better than mine.

I did notice that the Subdial hand for the Chronograph Hours is misaligned, pretty easy fix if you have the tools, pop the hand off and install it at Zero, otherwise it looks really great.

Yup, AR seems to be much better on the newer ones.  I noticed the sub-dial hand @6, I will in time correct that as I will be putting in an order for the tool kit, and other gear from the RWG shop soon.

I forgot to mention too about another flaw/tell, and thats the day/date font.  Again, this does not bother me, but being the perfectionist I am, I will no doubt correct all the flaws, then I will be smiling like a cheshire cat :)

Edited by SSTEEL

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I have got the franken bug big time for this great watch.  So far I have ordered the following gen parts for this Tag Heuer.

Gen new bracelet (paid)

Deposit paid for the following..

Gen Dial

Gen complete hand set

Gen crown

Gen pushers

Gen rotor with correct Geneva stripes.

Ordered from Cousins..

Silver replacement screws.

Future plans once all parts here is to even replace the movement for the Gen decorated ETA 7750 too.

I must be mad, but why the hell not, should be fun biggrin.png

• 4 weeks later...

Well no turning back now.  Just dropped this lot on my gen parts which are being shipped out to me tomorrow.

null_zpsa970983d.jpg

Well, not quite the full amount above on gen parts, some of it has gone for my TC Sub LV Type II with DWO V3, and Canon Pinion 4 smile.png

Regarding the franken build, I will keep all progress updates within this thread, however, for the up and coming side by side comparisons I plan to do (Gen Vs Rep) parts, I will start new threads within the Tag Heuer sub forum to serve reference to RWG members just like I did with the Gen vs Rep carrera bracelets.

Some Gen parts eye candy heading my way tomorrow biggrin.png

DSCF1599_zps8702abf1.jpg

DSCF1598_zps97a3a76d.jpg

DSCF1597_zpsa154e8c8.jpg

DSCF1596_zps974a9939.jpg

DSCF1595_zpsed5210b0.jpg

DSCF1594_zps950a1449.jpg

The Gen locally here in Finland costs around €4500+

EDIT - Just checked the bay of flees, and my model can be snapped up for just under €2700 NEW here

So all in all, with the cost of my rep Carrera originally, plus the cost of gen parts, I'm still well below half that lowest price for a gen, but its not all about money here, I really enjoy the hobby I share with many others who franken their reps, its damn addictive, but for filling at the same time :)

I totally understand. This thrill of the chase and watching it all come together is worth the price of admission sometimes. I'm just debating whether or not to throw my hat into this ring, in the future. Therefore it's good to know how much the gen would cost. 

Just like how a member built a badass Omega chrono w a lemania/tissot 831 movement. I was wondering if i should go through the whole (sometimes heartbreaking process when parts don't fit) journey of doing so, if the gen were not that much more....

Thats just it, I am unsure if the gen crown and gen pushers will fit, but only one way to try, right ;)

Another thing to mention about Tag Heuer, and this Calibre 16 7750 ETA. Tag now have the Cal 1887, which is an old SEIKO movement that they bought the patents for and then modified, they are killing off the Calibre 16 (ETA 7750). They have just announced a new Carrera version like mine, but with a ceramic bezel and the cal 1887.

It has lost the day function, but looks much the same. 
Tag Heuer are owned by LVMH who we do business with from time to time and I have been promised staff discount (which has never materialised). LVMH also own Zenith so I think TAG will be looking to go down the El Primero route on the higher end watches. 

Thanks to my friend, Craig over on RWI who is quite knowledgable about Tag Heuer, and shared the above with me recently. I have to admit, after watching many of Jack Heuers videos, and reading interviews, I am starting to have passion for the Brand.  They started off on the wrong foot, but they are up there with many of the big names now.

Cheers guys, currently waiting for my parts to clear customs here in Finland.  Looks like I may need to pay some duty on them, but we will see.

As to this build, I will be posting a lot of eye candy for you all, including a series of side by side comparison posts/photos, gen vs rep.

Ok, grabbed just a few photos/eye candy for you all of the gen parts.  Put the kettle on ;)

SANY0501_zps57da4358.jpg

SANY0502_zps2b4adcf1.jpg

SANY0503_zps2851ac6b.jpg

SANY0504_zps4514c6c7.jpg

SANY0505_zpsee08c35c.jpg

SANY0506_zps31290fce.jpg

SANY0507_zpsbec6a992.jpg

SANY0508_zps165415d7.jpg

SANY0509_zps7ef2184a.jpg

SANY0510_zpse4d438c6.jpg

SANY0511_zpsd043f271.jpg

SANY0512_zps334da26b.jpg

SANY0513_zpsf1e41fab.jpg

SANY0514_zpsc5289345.jpg

SANY0515_zpsede91815.jpg

SANY0516_zps72dad6b4.jpg

SANY0517_zps3090cd98.jpg

SANY0518_zpsddcc03db.jpg

SANY0519_zps0e876e16.jpg

SANY0520_zps062e18a7.jpg

SANY0521_zps26f526d0.jpg

SANY0522_zpse2f35630.jpg

And now onto the heart. a genuine Swiss ETA 7750 movement..

SANY0523_zps224b57cb.jpg

SANY0524_zps17be206c.jpg

SANY0525_zps9de51a2f.jpg

SANY0526_zpse66b45ea.jpg

SANY0527_zpscad22e7e.jpg

SANY0528_zps147e9d78.jpg

SANY0529_zps1cca3b78.jpg

SANY0530_zps3e8f9f81.jpg

SANY0531_zps61d914c6.jpg

Now onto the gen dial..

SANY0532_zpsebc6c82a.jpg

SANY0533_zpsfbfa86fb.jpg

SANY0534_zpsbfa974c3.jpg

SANY0535_zpse3a7c426.jpg

SANY0536_zps55f90b5a.jpg

SANY0537_zps31ed62c0.jpg

SANY0538_zpsf9a7f4c5.jpg

SANY0539_zps306e0708.jpg

SANY0540_zps428cf279.jpg

SANY0541_zps06fb7591.jpg

Quick photo of the rep dial, and TAG badge

SANY0542_zps320d7dc6.jpg

Reset rep pusher

SANY0543_zps07ea1ea0.jpg

Start rep pusher

SANY0544_zpsc24c9108.jpg

Rep crown

SANY0545_zpscc4cbfab.jpg

Asian 7750

SANY0546_zps7a95f68f.jpg

I will get side by side comparison photos which will have their own threads in the Tag Heuer section as and when I carry out the transplant.

• Like 1

Very excited to see how this turns out, for the money this is the way to go. The rep is already very good but this watch will be incredible when it is complete.

You and me both mate :)

Don't forget about the AR bro. That's probably my next mod (I've only done the screw colour so far)

AR is fine on this late model, its not blue like the early ones ;)

Good luck with the build SSTEEL! It is going to look incredible when finished. And I bet it will also be quite interesting as you'll learn how everything works and can easily modify your watches in the future also. :) And you're saving a lot of money too. Are there any flaws in the case? The only thing I notice is the Y in TACHYMETRE,

• Like 1

Thanks, its going to be fun thats for sure.  The case is pretty much spot on, so happy with that, I am now contemplating replacing the bezel, chapter ring, and crystal for gen now too.

Love to see how everything is coming together. With Your attention to detail this is gonna be beautiful time piece. Never been into TAG myself but after watching Your Carreras, posts and photographs (not mention the TAG Heuer AD on my way to work with vintage Autavias, which I can see passing by almost every day) I want one myself :)

Good luck with the build and continue to entertain us with new updates and photographs!

Thanks, I will get some photos during the transplant, just hoping the pushers fit.  Need to invest in some small cutters to cut the stem, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I have pair of steel cutters which I has been using to cut steel elements while I was into building scale models. They small but powerful enough to do the job I suppose. There is always Dremel tool with a cutting disc.