When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Milsub 5517

seraphe

8579224078_e643cddf08_b.jpg

Got this done but wondering what else I can do for it...

Watch case: MBW

Movement: ETA 2846

Dial: Yuki

Hands: Omega Seamaster 300

Insert: Aftermarket from classicwatchparts

Crystal: Watchmaterial

Lug bars: Self made using 2mm marine grade steel bar

8578230897_440deedab7_b.jpg

Jobs done:

- Drilling lug holes

- Microwelding of steel bars

- Sanding edges of lugs to flatten ends of lug bars

- Reshaping of CG

8578230645_b90afdb3a5_b.jpg

8579346618_08873fba42_b.jpg

So what else can I do? Vintage relume of hands? Vintagizing the insert?

Thanks! It's one of my favorite vintage Rolex any day.

Excellent work. For improvements, I would consider some 'enhanced patination' & try to get a closer match for the color of the hand lume & dial lume.

Sounds like the inevitable. The more I look at it the more I feel it needs more realistic vintage lume color.

Fade the insert. Match the hands. Tritium pearl.

Looks fantastic by the way. Amazing job on the fixed bars.

Where can I get the tritium pearl? Should I get one of the aftermarket ones from eBay?

Great job, my SBS 5513 says hello! :):wub:

post-24760-0-81889400-1356435655_thumb.j

post-24760-0-82480000-1353939079_thumb.j

I have a very similar setup, except for an Ingod dial and gen crystal. Omega seems to have altered the SM300 hands, I remember ordering mine from Ofrei instead of cousins, because they still had the older style hand when I built mine.

I'd bleach the insert a little, add a Yuki pearl and match hands, dial and pearl color. After that you'll be pretty much set and have the best possible ETA-powered Milsub. :)

• Like 1

Where can I get the tritium pearl? Should I get one of the aftermarket ones from eBay?

Well.. To be honest they rarely come up and they are expensive. Best bet it to lume a Yuki pearl so you can match the dial and hands.

But yes... I would fade the insert. I've faded gen inserts in drano before. Turned out fantastic.. PM me if interested and I will tell you exactly how I did it.

Here's a gen 1675 I used to own with an artificially faded black insert.

IMAG0550.jpg

IMG_20120329_142646.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie Lurker says Hi.. to the 5517 rep guys out there.  Ive been wanting (like everyone else) to build a almost perfect replica of the 5517, when I say perfect I mean as close as damn it to the original externally.  Im wanting to run a swiss eta movement so advice on the best sword hands combination and where to get them would be a bonus.

The two milsubs shown here look fantastic guys, really lovely so hats off to you and wear them well.  I take it these are based on MBW cases then they are modded ? cg's ect.. 

Being new, im not sure who MBW is or where I could get a 5513 case to start the build.. any ideas guys?.  PS can the MBW cases be waterproofed for swimming at pool depth?.

Cheers mac

Newbie Lurker says Hi.. to the 5517 rep guys out there. . .

Being new, im not sure who MBW is or where I could get a 5513 case to start the build.. any ideas guys?.  PS can the MBW cases be waterproofed for swimming at pool depth?.

Cheers mac

Hey Mac:  MBW = Maria Best Watch.  DO a search on "Maria Best Watch" and select "Rolex Forum" and you get some additional info.  See the URL link below and few comments/explanation from some members here.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/150120-explanation-please/?hl=%2Bmaria+%2Bbest+%2Bwatch#entry1144512

JKAY:  Maria was a dealer here several years ago. He ran "Maria's Best Watch" = MBW ... this dealer has not existed in at least 3 years.

He sold watches which he sourced from the "MBK" shopping mall in Bangkok .. the letters are an acronym for "The Mall of Everything"

You can still source the same watches or watch parts from MBK via various dealers here.

WOOF:  Narrika is the main dealer that sources the new ones called MBK.