When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch tools

fraggle42

So I thought I'd pick up a few old movements, "for spares or repair" kind of thing, get some suitable tools and see how many I break before I figure out how to put one back together :)

Got the movements sorted, there's loads of people selling job lots of them cheap on the bay, just need the tools now.

Before I spend £80 or so on ebay, I thought I'd ask if any people trading in here sell the tools required? Basically a whole starter set, screwdrivers, holders, case openers, tweezers, bracelet link tools, oil pens, oils, grease, hand removers & locators, etc, etc?

Richard

+1 Offshore will help you get started wit the right stuff. He has good quality tools at a good price. As you get further into repairs, overhauls, etc. you may want to upgrade some of your tools, but for a start he's the guy  i would go to.

@fraggle42,

Don't forget to register at www.watchbitz.com as an RWG member, and then wait until you receive an "upgrade" email before ordering.

Our tool kit, which sells at $129.95 is sold to RWG members at under $100.00.

We have sold many hundreds of these to forum members with no issues.

Supplying quality items, and standing behind out products is the secret!

Offshore

• Like 2

@fraggle42,

Don't forget to register at www.watchbitz.com as an RWG member, and then wait until you receive an "upgrade" email before ordering.

Our tool kit, which sells at $129.95 is sold to RWG members at under $100.00.

We have sold many hundreds of these to forum members with no issues.

Supplying quality items, and standing behind out products is the secret!

Offshore

Thanks Offshore,

I've registered at your shop.

Had a look around, but annoyingly the pound is so weak against foreign currency at the moment I can put together the same items at 2/3rds of the cost (or rather the postage takes the cost upto that point) so have ordered from a UK watch supplier.

When the £ rallies again, I'll use you.

(hmm, that may sound a bit wrong lol)

Cheers,

Richard

May I also suggest getting ahold of a cheapie Asian 6497 to start with? It's large, low cost and easy to work with. I taught my kids how to tear one down and put one back together if that tells you anything.

Will keep my eye out for one when the tools arrive, thanks.

Richard

Had a look around, but annoyingly the pound is so weak against foreign currency at the moment I can put together the same items at 2/3rds of the cost (or rather the postage takes the cost upto that point) so have ordered from a UK watch supplier.

Can I suggest that you have a very close look at the quality of tools you are being supplied?

The Chinese pack 6 or 7 different levels of quality in 1 standard pack.

For instance, the screwdrivers we sell as "budget" are in the same packing as our top quality set which goes with the tool kit, but I can assure you they are worlds apart in quality.

I spend a few weeks each year in China, sorting out these very factors, and I know we are buying quality for less than our competitors, and certainly not putting on the margin they do,.

The post cost can sometimes pull the price of our tools almost in to line with local suppliers, however we still believe the quality of tools supplied overcomes this.

I do understand that some tools look similar, however I can assure you they aren't....I fight many battles with suppliers over this quality issue.

Offshore.

Can I suggest that you have a very close look at the quality of tools you are being supplied?

The Chinese pack 6 or 7 different levels of quality in 1 standard pack.

For instance, the screwdrivers we sell as "budget" are in the same packing as our top quality set which goes with the tool kit, but I can assure you they are worlds apart in quality.

I spend a few weeks each year in China, sorting out these very factors, and I know we are buying quality for less than our competitors, and certainly not putting on the margin they do,.

The post cost can sometimes pull the price of our tools almost in to line with local suppliers, however we still believe the quality of tools supplied overcomes this.

I do understand that some tools look similar, however I can assure you they aren't....I fight many battles with suppliers over this quality issue.

Offshore.

Thanks. Believe me I would have preferred to buy from you but the difference in price allowed me to add a bit more to the money saved and buy a 1000 series watch timer (the cheap Chinese variety)

Where I got the stuff from is very similar to your own shop, I've no idea if they do the trips to source decent parts like you do!

Screwdrivers I went for are these:-

http://www.tickintimeworldofwatchtools.co.uk/watchmakers-watch-repair-screwdrivers-set-of-9--stand-anchor-watch-tools-18-p.asp

One down from the most expensive ones they had in (they're included in a 4 piece kit)

It's a pity there isn't a cheaper postal option that you have confidence in.

Richard

don't waste your money..just go with watchbiz..i have bought countless times from them and i have to say...i abuse my tools and i have not replaced anything yet.....the qaulity you will get will be double what you expected.These tools should last a log , long time.....

Yes I know that supplier, and those tools are from Anchor in India.

We would sell that driver set around A$12.00, I have looked at it, and think I get better value from my other suppliers in screwdrivers.

Its all about consistency, and being able to trust continuity of quality.

I agree with you about a cheaper postal option, unfortunately we have a Labour Government in power, with a mad Welsh born woman prime Minister, who is spending billions more than she has, (typical woman) so the under ministers are jacking up prices everywhere to pay for her largesse.Our post charges are jacked up 10% every 3-6 months, which unfortunately only encourages her to spend more.:)

O/S

• Like 1

Got most of the tools now, and got the bag of movements to practise on.

I didn't realise quite how small they were in the eBay picture:-

I foresee a few ping-fuggits happening as I take them apart :)

Richard

Ya, I was all ready to buy that awesome kit of yours but $38.55 in shipping on a $99 product is too rich for my blood.

Funny thing though, I'd probably be okay if it was $10 shipping on a $128 product

Yes, indeed, we unfortunately are hearing that far to frequently of late.

In our defence, that tool kit would sell at around $150 -$160 if supplied by anyone else.

Also if you look at the cost of shipping 1.5kgs even internally within a country you see post cost of around 1/2 that amount, so its not all bad.

Wish we could find an alternate cheaper shipping option.

Offshore.

Wish we could find an alternate cheaper shipping option.

Offshore.

So do we all :)

I suppose the only way of doing it is finding someone who you can trust to hold a stock of maybe 3 kits + a few of the most popular tools.

Shipping them all in bulk in one go should reduce the price per kit for the end buyer to about 1/3rd.

Restocking could be a problem, the "drop shipper" (can't think of a better name) would have to be sent a bulk order, but what to put in it might be a headache.

Or the drop shipper could pay up front and just do it out of their good nature, relying on the saved costs on shipping to sell the kits / tools.

I'm just about to do the latter with some X10 booster kits (electronic home automation stuff). Only going to get 3 kits to start with to see how we'll they sell, they're a fortune to buy via the one place in the UK that imports them.

I'm in the UK so a good jump point for the whole of the EU, but I know I'm new here and I wouldn't trust me if the positions were swapped :)

Richard

Yea when it comes to tools my father allwyas told me buy the best from the begining and dont waste your money on the crappy stuff, it will save you a headache, but if your only having fun playing around and just starting to learn about movts. I would say dont by the crappy chinese stuff. It will fall apart on you. Better off spending a few more dollars on some half way decent tools and they will last you. I spend about 300$ on a set of tweezers and the difference between them and the crappy chinese ones is night and day. The swiss metals dont bend and they work wonderfully, also alittle tip definitly buy the better screwdrivers, this is a very important tool and the chineses ones chip, bend and break very easily. Go with offshore it might cost you a few more dollars in the begining but youll be happy, and think about it this way if you buy crappy tools and they break youll have to buy them again and spend the same amount you would if you bought the more expensive stuff from the beggining. Either way have fun. I love working on watches and i wouldnt do anything else for a living. 

$300 for a pair of tweezers?!!!?

Good god man, I hope she at least cooked you a good meal and poured a nice drink before she left at 2am in the morning for that much!

And, my friend, don't worry, we all have problems from time to time. Just because you need a pair of tweezers to find it doesn't make you any less of a man! :hands::clap:

Seriously that is a huge amount of money for tweezers. I know a lot of mechanics that swear by Snap-On tools which are extremely expensive, when I query what it is about them, it turns out it's the genuine lifetime no questions warranty that makes the cost worth it.

Ever thought of setting up a rep tweezer business? :)