When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Expert Repair Help - Ceramic Sub Bezel

247Tinker

I could use some expert advice on removing and replacing the Ceramic Bezel on my 116613 SUB TT with Swiss ETA 2836-2, purchased from Andrew.

One of the link screws came out and the watch slid off my wrist and hit the pavement almost flat on the Crystal. Not a scratch other then the Ceramic Bezel Pearl Dot broke off/shattered and a piece of the Bezel came with it. I temporarily glued it back on with a tinny dab of super clue. So I ordered a replacement Bezel from Andrew.....and here I am

let me qualify that I love this watch! keeps great time and looks awesome!

Need the Help on:

1) Good Procedure for removing the old Bezel.

2) Procedure for Replacing with the new Bezel. Also recommendations for adhesive.

I have been reviewing the posts and read where you remove the pearl and use a dental pick to lift off the old Bezel through that opening. Confirmation and or better step procedure would help.

I have also seen pictures or reworks where it looks like the Bezel was glued on.

I would hate to screw this up - some part of me wants to just purchase the lesser expensive Asian movement equivalent (no offense, I have several others and so does my son) and just swap out the movements which should be straight forward.

If I understand it correctly, you just need to replace the broken ceramic INSERT, right? Koz there's no way you could break the SS bezel!

It's really very easy, use a Paint and Varnish stripper, apply it around the top of the broken ceramic, but more on the part where it chipped or broke,

let it soak for a bit....then use a flat screw driver and slowly peel it off. After you're done, clean up the bezel real good, make sure there's no left over 

glue or debris.......blow dry it a bit!

Now apply a dab of Gorilla glue around the perimeter of the bezel ( do not put too much), just a smidgin.....or else you'll glue the bezel to the case,

let it stand for a minute or two, now press in place the new Ceramic bezel and move it around slowly to spread the glue, align the 60 sec marker,

and let it settle and dry for a whole day! If you have a 30mm crystal press disc, put it on top and put like 1lb weight that you could balance well.

You're good to go in a day. These what I did with mine and it worked great!

If I understand it correctly, you just need to replace the broken ceramic INSERT, right? 

This! DO NOT TRY TO PRY OFF THE BEZEL the way MD2020 suggests... the case you have is almost certainly not gen-style construction (if it is, MD2020's suggestion is the right way to go). The bezels are nearly impossible to get off of most Sub-C cases without bending.

Since your insert is broken already anyway, just go after it with a screwdriver and remove it in chunks. Use a q-tip and some acetone to clean out the bezel ring, then put in the new bezel. I prefer GS hypo cement over gorilla glue but whatever glue is fine.

Ive replaced 3 and Im getting ready to do the fourth one. First, the part you are replacing is the insert, not the bezel. The bezel is the rotating part that your insert is attached to. Now,, since you have lost your pearl, that is a perfect place to start. Get youself a single edged razor blade, take a small screwdriver or even a toothpick. Pry up in the hole where your pearl was, it will begin to lift up. When it does slide your razor blade under the insert between the bezel, and the bottom of the insert. Lift up gently and it will begin to seperate. The glue strip they use is not that tacky. Clean your bezel good, remove any glue that is left, you wand a clean area to put your new insert into. Buy some 3M emblem adhesive at autozone. It works great. Put a pin size hole in the tube. Run it around the flat spot on the bottom of the new insert, less is better. Line up your pearl and gently apply pressure. You can take an alcohol rag to wipe off any excess and your done. Do NOT take the bezel off, that is a whole new set of problems. What you want to do is really easy. Good luck

Great input guys! To answer some of the questions: Yes it is just the ceramic insert within the rotating bezel. Per Andrew and his description everything is interchangeable? (But I have read that the description and actuality are slightly .......a stretch. Do not know for sure). I did not want to start prying that whole thing off. I have done it on some old style Subs with the metal insert but not the new ones and especially a TT. I have used automotive emblem adhesive before. Have never used Gorilla Glue. I have acetone - my question is will the acetone blemish the crystal or the gold plating? Again - I appreciate greatly the input

Ok - So here is the plan and correct me where I am wrong.

I will use a dental pick to start to lift off the ceramic from the bezel ring progressing to more heftier tools like a screw driver as needed. I will clean off the old adhesive as best as possible with some nylon and/or delrin scrapers only using an acetone solvent as needed for final cleaning before applying the ne insert.

I will pick up some GS hypo Cement - looks like good stuff and for a few bucks worth getting stuff made for the job.

Apply GS hypo Cement sparingly to the same areas on the metal bezel and the contacting surface

Set the bezel insert into place and align

Use 2 small pieces of masking tape to keep alignment

Use appropriate crystal press insert (~ 30 mm) and apply light consistent pressure overnight to let set up ( I have about a 1lb bag of steel bird shot in a cotton bag I use for just that purpose)

After 24 hours - clean up and wear with pride!

Again thanks guys! I will take picture and write a good process for others!

LOL - OK here is what I will do. I will do a pull test using both adhesives on a piece of stainless and see using the scrap ceramic bezel insert pieces

I have used the 3M Emblem Adhesive ( on car restorations) and can probably get the spec sheet on it really easily.

However the GS Hypo cement (regular - non UV cure) I ordered from the jewelry supply (5 bucks) is specifically for watch and jewelry repair and settings. I liked that it had a fine applicator.

Once I get the GS Hypo here I will try to find the spec sheet and compare.

You guys are killing me! Thank god I am not asking what color to paint my car - lol

Still thanks for the help, I needed a place to start

• 1 month later...

The GS hypo cement holds fine with other stuff. Why would it not work with the bezel/pearl? Its jewellery glue, it holds things, thats whats its designed for, and thats why it has so many satisfied customers? or am I wrong and its basically a placebo? 

Edited by papab34r

• 1 month later...

I have had the same thing happen with the pearl breaking off. I ordered a new insert and took off the bezel but broke one of the [censored]s that has the springs on it, plus putting the bezel and insert back together as been unsuccessful. Anyone's know a place in US I can send it to for repair?

My advise: send Andrew a mail. Explain the problem and give him your order number and send a pic of the damage. Ask him what to do. He knows what you can and cannot do. I saw that you are located in the USA. You can also search for a watchmaker here on RWG who is located in the USA or ask TC or BK for advise. You can find them on RWG Trusted Dealers. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Do not remove the bezel assemble without proper tools ! If you only have to change the bezel ceramic insert, then remove the pearl, put a toothpick into the pearl hole on the ceramic insert, then pull it off. When it has been removed then you can clean the bezel with removing the glue. Apply on the bezel in the distal part from the sapphire crystal, hypo glue cement, then you can put the new insert on the bezel, make sure everything is dry and clean. If you want to change the bezel assemble, them you will need proper tools, it is a little bit complicated. Take a look at this: 8edy8y2u.jpg