When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Phong cases - be careful before buying, some advises & my experience about it

Valty

"the rotor on the movement he helped me source is making a funny noise. (Maybe it just needs oiled?)"

If it is 'chattering' it needs to be cleaned and oiled...take the autowind assembly apart and c/o it being careful not to switch reverser parts around. Make sure you c/o both rotor jewels.

Rotor axle and intermediate wheel uses (NYE) PML 163 or equivalent. I use Mobius D5, a thick petroleum oil. D5 oil will last a long time so do not worry about it being 'old style' petro oil. I do not have any PML 163 or PML 80.

Intermediate wheel can also use PML 163. I use D5 here too.

Intermediate wheel = the brass wheel with a steel gear that winds the mainspring.

Reverser pawls and pivots use Mobius 9010 etc...M9010 is a thin $ynthetic oil.

If it is 'rattling' the rotor post may be worn or a rotor jewel broken...inspect these parts under a 10x loupe and look for drag marks on the outside edge of the movement where the rotor has been dragging.

To test for rotor rattle...hold the watch (without bracelet) dial up or dial down beside your 'good' ear, shake it up and town and listen for a rattling sound caused by the rotor flopping up and down on the rotor axle. A dry aw assembly will make a little more noise than one that has been recently oiled. You really need to shake a watch known to be in tip top condition for a reference before shaking your watch because they all rattle a little bit.

Watch crooks have been known to put a dial washer between the rotor and aw body to quiet down rotor rattle.

PML 80 has replaced PML 163 in many service manuals.

http://shorinternational.com/WatchOilGrease.php

It ain't cheap! That's why I use D5.

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/newbie-lubrication-q-647540.html

The right upper case was the last one I received from Phong for my 4th Super-Franken. You see the problems: much too fat, lugholes too close to the case, endlinks didn't fit. But it was no problem to return it and receive a new one which was slimmer and the right lugholes for 571 endlinks. I then ordered another one with the same specs and it was ok too.

Left upper case is a perfect 6239 from Phong, both beneath are wonderful DW Cases. All have V72, of course :-)

daytonas2.jpg

I am a firm believer that upscale parts suppliers like Phong often suffer the same problem as many in China. Sometimes they are forced to use different suppliers and sometimes there suppliers simply have bad runs. What I have seen is that those who stick to it with him, return items they are unhappy with or actually ask for custom orders end up happy. But there is no question there is a fair amount of luck and effort involved. But until someone else offers better.....

If someone knows what tools to use to retap and redo the threading for the pushers, it would be much appreciated...

I'll try to find someone here to do it - can't accept to keep aftermarket pushers on this case !!! :)

Edited by Valty

I am a firm believer that upscale parts suppliers like Phong often suffer the same problem as many in China. Sometimes they are forced to use different suppliers and sometimes there suppliers simply have bad runs. What I have seen is that those who stick to it with him, return items they are unhappy with or actually ask for custom orders end up happy. But there is no question there is a fair amount of luck and effort involved. But until someone else offers better.....

i think their parts are finished by hand from a mold, i have seen asymmetrys in my case batches, between thicknesses, sometimes the grind away too muhc --or not enough, drill lug holes slightly off. cases made on monday may differ from the same manufacturer if made on a friday. just my experience

I have a set of 2 taps made for Rolex cases & I have always used the 5.3mm for pushers. That said, I have run into 2 cases (1 from DW & 1 from Phong) whose pusher holes were drilled too large. The only option was to fit a larger set of pushers that I got from Ofrei. Unfortunately, the thread pitch is not indicated on either tap, so I cannot tell you what it is.

I have a set of 2 taps made for Rolex cases & I have always used the 5.3mm for pushers. That said, I have run into 2 cases (1 from DW & 1 from Phong) whose pusher holes were drilled too large. The only option was to fit a larger set of pushers that I got from Ofrei. Unfortunately, the thread pitch is not indicated on either tap, so I cannot tell you what it is.

My watchmaker told me gen pushers (P302) were 4,5mm - but I don't know much more about it. Phong pushers were 4,4mm, so I guess 5,3mm is a way too large for gen pushers

I hope Janeto will get an answer from The Zig, I would love to know what is the right tool to doing it