When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Being relocated to Asia

redroom

So my work is relocating me to Asia for the next three months! Ill be based out of Kuala Lampur with regular trips to Singapore and Tokyo. And of course the big thing on my mind is reps! I did some research on the forums and it looks like there are some market places in KL where I can find high end stuff. Anything else? Does anyone know about getting a bespoke suit? What are other cool things I should be sure to do? Any members in any of these cities who can meet up?

Suits are a tricky one. On one hand, MY is tempting due to price and on the other hand you may be better off getting them in SG due to language. The thing is, unless you go to a high end tailor (for which you'll pay similar prices to the west anyway), your suit won't be properly tailored in the way you're used to. It will be poorly stitched in Indonesia likely with inferior fabric from china,  shipped back for one sizing then back to indo for any alterations before being handed over. It's pretty quick - you are lead to believe it never leaves the country -  but no better really than rack bought.

IME, these types of tailors are good for fashion suits and throwaways, but you're better off using someone from 'back home' for highly tailored suits. Tailored shirts are worth it though.

Best to ask friends or fellow expats, like any city, there are gems who are worth your money and time. The trick is finding them. Take a stroll around Far East Plaza (on the backside of Orchard) you might get lucky.

TBH, if you're from the west, Department store shopping in SG and MY is where the real bargains are, however if you're ang mo (white person - get used it - not offensive), you'll find off the rack sleeves are too short.

All in all it's a well worthy experience to seek out a tailor in the near east and try your luck. Not always worth repeating.

Edited by mastrmindalliance

Thanks I'm really looking forward to it! Legendkiller, ill drop you a note when I'm in town!

and we shall paint the town RED when you come. Unless of course you are adverse to beautiful women, drinks, and cigars.. 

If that be the case, we have extremely good libraries as well :lol:

Hmm yeah maybe I'll just pick up a couple cheapie beaters for fun while I'm there. But I am interested in getting bespoke suits and shirts made anyone know the best place for that and is there a guide to ensuring I the best for my money? <br />As far as booze ill be packing my own from NYC :). Any other cool things I should be on the look out for in these countries?

Hmm yeah maybe I'll just pick up a couple cheapie beaters for fun while I'm there. But I am interested in getting bespoke suits and shirts made anyone know the best place for that and is there a guide to ensuring I the best for my money? <br />As far as booze ill be packing my own from NYC :). Any other cool things I should be on the look out for in these countries?

red, for the coolest stuff you can can think of, pm me when you are here. I will take you and I will be your new best friend for the night :D :D