When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6154 case options

mellons

There has been a fair bit of discussion in some threads about 6154 shapes, domed plexi options and casebacks etc. so I thought I would do a trawl through a few bulds and combos I have tried in the recent past. These are no way exhaustive and are mainly variations of athaya's 6154 case set. There are some other super builds out there and I am sure other will chime in with super builds (oyang case, river and silix modded etc) but I thought it might be interesting and informative to show a few different options for anyone planning on doing a 6154 build. Most of the cases shown have been modded (softened and creases removed etc. with minor work on lugs). As the gens are quite varied I think it boild down to personal preference for combinations of parts. I like both main options: high plexi + thick caseback; and also thin low plexi and thin caseback. IMHO the thin build-up shades it for me but I will probably end-up with two separate versions, one "thicker" and one "thinner".

Here's a previous older build using athaya case- slim athaya display back, slim bezel etc.

this is probably my preferred configuration for the 6154- it accentuates how slim the mid case is. Some hf'ers hav actually slimmed the mid-case down again also.

solid caseback (athaya slim one)

IMG_3933.jpg

IMG_3932.jpg

IMG_3927.jpg

here it is with slim plexi + athaya thick caseback (not as attractive imho)

IMG_3891.jpg

with a higher dome + slim display caseback

IMG_3841.jpg

IMG_3842.jpg

comparisons

IMG_3853.jpg

IMG_3858.jpg

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3863.jpg

thinner solid plexi + thin caseback

IMG_3822.jpg

IMG_3844r.jpg

modded athaya case- looks very slim

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3813.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg
Edited by mellons
  • Like 2

I've been back and forth for some time debating about trying a build on a 6154. The last time I was lurking I was looking at Athaya's cases but it seems his site is gone, River has not posted in a long while, and Silix does not have any on his site either. Who is the source now for a 6154 case set? I guess the only options would be SS as the bronze cases seem to be as rare as the original 6154's!!

Athaya still is around and active- he is a sponsor over on hf and still has ss cases afaik

River also is still active and has 6154 case sets

The other type (not posted) is oyang- these were cery limited and no longer available

The reshped silix case set makes a nice 6154, silix called them 6154. They need a lot of work but can look relly good- nightwatch poated a great one

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Ps. Athaya currently has cases on hand including

- 6154 ss and bronze

- 3646 ss and Damascus

- hornlugs

You can refer to me to increase chances for his reply. I am taking with him about 3646 now. He can recognize me.

Yim

af98a22966ef660a3e152df98d140fb8.jpga6b909ef0440ab9c23223d0931c8d78d.jpg1fc6849e36079108d27e0bfc9f2afa61.jpg4dd94f76378a5747897e9f239754b5c2.jpgf4ecb44921975d8de4e74f31b6ce390b.jpg

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My post before the previous post was lost.

I just ordered 2 cases with dial and hands from him

You can pm him and mention my name. He told me he was outside of town past few days.

Good luck

Yim

4de7c314e83b58f4e20782edbfe067f6.jpg

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

This is my vdb 6154 I've had for many years below in pics in varying bezels. I still need to find the proper bezel with a less sharp angle. I think the 2 piece bezel Athaya sells is probably going to be the closest to the correct shape but the one on it now, "the taller one" hasn't bothered me that much so... One day I'll get around to it.?

As for the case.,, Stephan "VDB" really did the best lugs I've seen anyone replicate to the gen look. I think there was also another 6154 case years ago that was similar that was done by Oyang but a few others more recently have managed to mod Athaya's 6154 case to get decent lugs that remind me of these but it takes some talent. The 6154 is a tough nut to crack, it's hard to nail all the subtle beauty the gen holds. I think it can  be done with the right combo of modded current available parts if motivated. So  unless a VDB or Oyang 6154 midcase pops up for sale the best bet is a properly modded Athaya 6154 case with the right lug profile mod and shallow 2piece bezel. That along with Athaya's best 8mm Brevet crown and tube and skinny solid caseback and shallow domed plexi crystal "like the one seen in my pics below" would be the best building blocks to get a solid 6154 case build.

Ive seen a few case modders get the Athaya case to the right lug shape so it's really about finding the right lug whisperer out there...

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...