When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

just finished my custom seamaster 300m quartz...take a look!

bamcky2k

ive worn a seamaster 300m in some form or other for almost 10 years now, be it automatic, quartz, blue, black, rep, gen etc i have a big love of this watch. of all the situations i like to wear my watches in (shallow diving, hiking, climbing etc) the seamaster was often left behind though in favour of my g-shock or seiko skx009...i always wanted the seamaster on my wrist for these, but, there were a few niggles that always put me off, niggles which alot of others have stated too...mostly the scalloped bezel and lack of AR on the outside of the crystal. the bezel was almost impossible to rotate when wet-not good whilst diving/swimming to time incoming/outgoing tides (i rarely do scuba diving so timeing for air isnt an issue...) or while out in all weather to time waypoints on a map to keep pace etc...ok the AR isnt really an issue, but it does pic up ALOT of glare indoors or on cloudy days...so i searched on google for some ideas...

what i found was that the planet ocean 42mm crystal fitted the smp case-with the use of the smp gasket, and also that the 42mm planet ocean bezel was a direct swap without modification...the smp insert though needed the inner lip filed off to fit the PO bezel ring...(note to newbies-see, searching will give you all the answers!) so online i go to cousinsuk and order the crystal, bezel, and while i was at it new caseback gasket, crystal gasket and battery...a day later they arrived...and 2 hours later it was finished...believe me-customizing gen watches with gen manufacturer parts is SOOOO much easier than reps!

below is the result, the whole watch now has more presence on the wrist, more "built" so to say, the waves on the dial have alot more pop to them too due to the crystal...the watch is also now functional bezel wise while wet, the crystal is incredible and the whole watch still looks "factory built", it will probs be my go to watch for the summer...i tried it on a hirsch heavy calf strap, but the the new harder image of the watch i think will suit a carbon strap more...so i then mounted the watch to an omega 20mm mesh bracelet to add that tool like look, overall, im very very pleased with the outcome...anyway pics say more so take a look below, comments and critics welcome, enjoy!

391095_297399647060449_162389054_n.jpg

575360_297399653727115_92327771_n.jpg

383184_297399603727120_142426107_n.jpg

644622_297399713727109_1856107207_n.jpg

408581_297399263727154_2114413126_n.jpg

934768_297399383727142_321094809_n.jpg

374621_297399467060467_1665162021_n.jpg

375007_297399423727138_566049437_n.jpg

935222_297399450393802_1470345642_n.jpg

419251_297399913727089_654527321_n.jpg

935637_297399280393819_805303056_n.jpg

375151_297399313727149_1707959838_n.jpg

Holy crap!  Thats amazing.  I made sure I read everything you wrote before scrolling down to view your photos, (note to newbies to do the same;) ).

Where did you find that valuable info about the cross reference parts fitting?  Omegaforums?

Looks outstanding my friend.  Great job!

thanks guys, if i can mod a watch-even gen-to fit a purpous i need it for i will! found the info by searching google...on the images for seamaster 300m, i noticed a pic that had the black 2254 model with a planet ocean bezel insert...or so i thought, when i read the thread on WUS it actually had the entire bezel assembly, i then thought that if that fitted surely the crystal should too as its the same diameter...so i search "PO crystal in smp case" etc and found some info...after reading through and confirming i commited to the custom build, and this was the result...research first people! the net is a big place and chances are if youve thought of something-someone else may have already done it!  ofcourse my quartz seamaster i used was well out of warranty etc so i didnt mind going ahead, plus the quartz is easy to work on anyway in service terms-i wouldnt have gone ahead with this on my co-axial model...

the next customization i have in mind for this watch is the blue lume hour/minute/seconds hand from the black smp quartz (to give it the blue/green lume combo of the new smp ceramics, and also the ploprof deployment clasp for the mesh bracelet...

Edited by bamcky2k
  • Like 1

expensive custom build though, the bracelet, bezel and crystal came to over £600...but worth it to get the look and function i wanted. the crystal gives the "disappearing crystal" effect at certain angles which is very cool with the dial...and despite the mods, it still retains the look and feel of the seamaster pro...as a side note, the crystal sits higher than the standard smp bezel, and the PO bezel higher than the smp crystal...so the mod has to be done together (change both bezel and crystal) to keep a sleek look. the smp insert is the only part that needed modding by fileing off the inner lip to fit the PO bezel...thats it though, everything else was a straight drop in replacement.

well i just ordered the ploprof clasp for the mesh, special order item though so gotta wait for it :pardon: the blue lume seamaster hands will arrive tomorrow though! i was gonna replace all the hands, but i think i'll just do the minute hand...going for the green/blue double lume colour of the new smps and PO's etc...pics when ive done it all!

So I'm paging down wondering what was different on this one  :g: Pics first then read, looks really really well thought through mate :clap2:  whilst still looking factory the subtle improvement with the bezel makes it all the more usable too, I have seen the Planpro build and loved it, got that one tucked away for a build at some stage!

Great piece mate !  :notworthy:

cheers sgt, its more of a functional improvement for me...just so happens it looks cool at the same time! its a subtle change that not many would notice unless you point it out which i guess is why it works and looks "right" its a great custom build if you have it in mind though, well worth doing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In a word; beautiful.

The versatility of that watch is amazing. With the mesh bracelet it looks like jewellery, and with the calf strap it would work perfectly with a suit.

I take my hat off to you sir for a fine job.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...