When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Where to get bezel (not insert) for 6542

GarrettP1

Can anyone suggest a source for a 6542 coin edge type bezel?

Jewelry and watch has them, but too expensive for the rep I'm building.

I see some stainless copies on ebay too, which are inexpensive, but stainless rather than the plated brass

originals.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Nanuq,

That's the price range I am seeing from other vendors.

I was hoping there was a new option out there somewhere.

A question also: were there 6542 watches produced with stainless bezels?

I ask only because during this same time period (in the 1950's), there were Rolex subs produced that had plated bezels AND some that had stainless bezels (in the same series I mean).

Thanks,

Garrett

• 1 month later...
 ---- That's the price range I am seeing from other vendors. ---

I'm coming in late on that topic and hoping to get a hint: I'm looking for an original brass bezel for a 6542. Couldn't find any by googling - I'm grateful for pointing me into a useful direction. E.g. how to contact Natalie who was mentioned in this thread.

Many thanks!

Welcome to my ship Garrett, where we are still searching for the cheap alternative. Lol. All jokes aside, the $350 is negotiable(you can submit an offer) but they never accept one for less than 300.

I would be more than willing to do a group buy. I meed one for a bog crown build.

Check rep sellers' listings for 6542s. Some have pretty accurate bezels (that can be improved further with a bit of modding) & the cost of the entire rep is often less than the cost of an aftermarket bezel. Or check with some of the aftermarket parts sellers (like CWP) to see if they will sell their bezel without the insert.

So far, no joy. I've been trying to find an inexpensive coin edge bezel for a while now. freddy's idea is best so far, buy a rep with the coin edge and modify it. Most of the coin edge subs were a 'long' coin edge, while the 6542 was beveled top and bottom. I used a 'Tiger' case and beveled the bezel on it, but the case would not allow the insert to sit low enough. The bezel might be adapted to another style case. It does mount with the bent wire.  

The Silix case I used for my Phase I '42 had a nice bezel (it was better than the $300 bezel/insert combo I bought from CWP)

6542crystals0032__-2_tonemapped1.jpg

(gen on left, slightly modded Silix on right)

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you what the Silix number was, but it was sold as a Sub with a Cartier Sub dial

rols1760161.jpg

1 of my original Phase I construction threads (there were several) has the Silix model number. As I recall, it was from their budget line (ie, relatively cheap).

My first was also from Silix, ala freddy,  the 'Turn-O-Graph' model for $198. There were some 5 or 6 coin edge models they had, all using the same case/bezel, and  engraved in between the lugs '6542' and '1066' . I was told that those were discontinued, the new ones are not the same.