When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Proper pronunciation of Heuer

rionrlty

I Love TAG Heuer and have a number of these reps.  I'm especially fond of the Carreras and have 4, but also have a link 42, and an Aquaracer 500.  I've also had several gens in past years.  I have a 20 year old watch magazine that gives phonetic pronunciation for all Swiss watch brands.

It claims the proper pronunciation for Heuer is "Hugh-er" 

My watch repair guy says the proper way for Heuer is "How-er"

Another friend who also collect the brand thinks it should be pronounced "Hoy-yer"

Is this one of those mysteries where no one know's for sure, or is there a definitive, correct way to pronounce the name? 

I suspect that the best answers will come from one of the members in Germany or Switzerland, but I would appreciate any input at all.

If possible I would like to settle this question once and for all.

rionrlty

The 'r' at the end of Heuer (and r's in general) are not pronounced the same way in German as they are in English.

Depending on where you're from, the 'r' sound can be more or less guttural, but it's nearly always in the back of the throat.  For English speakers, it's very difficult to approximate without sounding comical.

The easiest way to have an American-English speaker say 'TAG Heuer' would be to approximate it as 'taag HO-yah'.  (The accent is on the first syllable of Heuer)  If you run 'ho-yah' into one another fast enough, it's a pretty good match.

I Love TAG Heuer and have a number of these reps.  I'm especially fond of the Carreras and have 4, but also have a link 42, and an Aquaracer 500.  I've also had several gens in past years.  I have a 20 year old watch magazine that gives phonetic pronunciation for all Swiss watch brands.

It claims the proper pronunciation for Heuer is "Hugh-er" 

My watch repair guy says the proper way for Heuer is "How-er"

Another friend who also collect the brand thinks it should be pronounced "Hoy-yer"

Is this one of those mysteries where no one know's for sure, or is there a definitive, correct way to pronounce the name? 

I suspect that the best answers will come from one of the members in Germany or Switzerland, but I would appreciate any input at all.

If possible I would like to settle this question once and for all.

rionrlty

I'm an ambassador for Tag in the Greenville South Carolina area. It is, in fact, pronounced "hoy-yer", the same way you pronounce lawyer.

I was just a bit shocked that's all, I am glad you responded.

Really the two worlds should not meet but I know they do!

A bit like a gentleman and a 2 bit hooker

But reps cost a bit more than that lol

lol yeah. I actually have two Grand Carerra reps in my watch winder. So just to see the difference between the reps and a gen, I ordered this in two days ago

947070_10151407429073045_404608279_n.jpg

283953_10151407443243045_182650162_n.jpg

Now that I have a gen, the reps are terrible lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Didn't know hookers were so cheap over there in the ol' US of A. ;)

It isn't fair to the rest of us world citizens when you fellas pay less for everything.......cars, electronics and now wimmen...... B)