When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I think sometimes we worry to much!

Hey guys,

Was thinking and reading a few posts lately as you do and I came to this conclusion as I'm sure it's been said before:

The classic question: Is this Gen Looking enough?

My observations:

1. Most have never held a Gen, and most wouldn't know a insert from an insert.

2. On the wrist, well not a lot of people can tell, unless you have super bionic eyesight!

3. Most people even collectors and watch shop people have never seen a red submariner, DW Daytona etc etc, so I don't think you need to worry, but again don't wear a rep into a AD.

And the last rule, if you wear your rep into the Basel watch fair, your a real [censored], because you will get caught out there! Lol lol

If you are a 17 year old kid and you drive a bike and you work at the supermarket in town with a 10.000 USD watch on the wrist, they know it's a rep. I think it's the guy who wears the watch who makes the watch look like gen :)

• Like 2

I think you are absolutely correct. It becomes a game to most of us. That' why you see lots of " grail" watches come up for sale. Folks get all excited during the parts search and build, but over time interest wanes.

AFA accuracy, sometimes our obsession for accuracy borders on the ridiculous, and I speak from experience as I am as guilty as anyone else. I live in a small community and I have seldom even had a second glance at one of my watches, much less have someone ask if it' real or not.

If you are a 17 year old kid and you drive a bike and you work at the supermarket in town with a 10.000 USD watch on the wrist, they know it's a rep. I think it's the guy who wears the watch who makes the watch look like gen :)

Totally agree. It's the man that carries the watch.

I agree we do obsess over the minutia on our pieces and for what end ? Our own enjoyment ;)  No one else these days gives a rats what you have on your wrist except other people like us !

I'm now in my 40's......just 'cough' so can pretty much carry most brands that I would want to and not have to worry whether or not someone would call me out, the last time I was asked was by the guy who cleans my pool he was shocked to see me getting my hands dirty whilst giving him a hand with the filters and wearing a Rolex, I let him know it was a rep but only after he checked it out and was amazed by how good it was...........it was my old SD 1665 which has so many tells it's not funny  :)

The vast majority of people who see your watch in the wild will never comment on it. But, as I have found, there is a large (& growing) number of (silent) WIS types out there & just because no one calls you out does not mean your rep has not been ID'd as a fake.

• Like 1

I agree with Freddy. How many times have you suspected yet NOT called someone out. Do people even call people out? It takes some balls and a particularly rude character to be the person to make a direct call out on a stranger, even on an aquaintance. Socially, I'm not sure many of us would even want to be that type of individual.

To that end, I agree with freddy once more - there are a growing number of us 'silent' out there. I see guys wearing what I suspect to be a rep and the first thing I think? "I wonder if they are on the forum circuit, hell I wonder if I know them". You never know.

Personally, It would not even dawn on me to engage someone to seek authenticity confirmation on their watch. To be honest who cares if their watch is rep or gen? I don't. As long as the watch is carried off well by the wearer...

A few years ago, I ran into these 2 teenagers, who wanted to know about my car. As we were talking about the car, 1 of the guys spotted my Bond Sub & started reciting all sorts of details about vintage Subs that only a hard-core WIS could possibly know (or care about). Because of their age & fashion sense, I would never in-a-million-years have guessed these teens were into watches, let alone vintage Rolex. So, believe me, these days, pay attention to the details of your builds, because, clearly, others do.

I agree, why sweat the small stuff like 'Happy Feet' - no one can really even see something like that. Nor do they know what to look for anyway.

I can't understand why somebody would pay $100 to mod a PAM mov't, merely for cosmetic reasons.

I have a number of Gens too, so I realize the reps are always going to be off  in some ways.

I think for most..with even a "stock" TC or BK that even the well studied watch enthusiast couldn't tell as it sits on your wrist.

If they get up close and look at it or hold it then yes, just looking though and it'd be a hard tell. Add a gen crystal, insert and crown and you'd "fool" 99% of the public at a glance.

Like others said and I've said before...I wore a BK GMT IIC for a month which has a few obvious tells even at a distance and lately a WM9 16610 with gen crystal and insert and not so much as a look. One person (male flight attendant) said "nice watch, I wish I could afford a rolex." That was the extent of it. No one else so much as acknowledges that I even wear a watch...they simply don't care.

I think for most..with even a "stock" TC or BK that even the well studied watch enthusiast couldn't tell as it sits on your wrist.

If they get up close and look at it or hold it then yes, just looking though and it'd be a hard tell. Add a gen crystal, insert and crown and you'd "fool" 99% of the public at a glance.

Like others said and I've said before...I wore a BK GMT IIC for a month which has a few obvious tells even at a distance and lately a WM9 16610 with gen crystal and insert and not so much as a look. One person (male flight attendant) said "nice watch, I wish I could afford a rolex." That was the extent of it. No one else so much as acknowledges that I even wear a watch...they simply don't care.

There is always the possibility of WIS like Freddy's two teenage boys who you would never suspect having the slightest interest and or knowledge of watches, especially vintage would surprise you with their knowledge. I also suspect that where you live and where you work are a big factor in your comfort level. If you work in and environment that is well populated with guys wearing high end watches and a significant number of folks who are or appear to be knowledgable about watches, then as Freddy said, you better pay attention to your builds, because someone may look at your watch close up, and realize it is not a gen. More than likely civil people would never dream of "calling you out", but they may decide that you are a posseur by wearing a replica. 

If  I have a watch that's not up to snuff, I probably wouldn't wear it to places where "watch people"  are likely to scrutinize it. i would wear either a well modded franken, or a gen. Fortunately for me, in the rural area whereI live, I have never felt like there were folks around that were really interested in the watchs folks were wearing. I do notice watches, but I feel like I'm very much in the minority.

If you are uncomfortable wearing a rep, then I would wear a gen in those situations. I wouldn't let my choice of  watches spoil my day, worrying about someone noticing my rep.

When I was a senior in high school I knew someone that had a Gen Rolex platinum day date and drove a a new M3 . He lived in the worst part of town and had the best prom party of all time . Back then I would believe it but now a days nah . I would shake my head when I saw the "RISTI's" with there MINT 3646's posing as gen's and asking vaction home prices . 

When I was a senior in high school I knew someone that had a Gen Rolex platinum day date and drove a a new M3 . He lived in the worst part of town and had the best prom party of all time . Back then I would believe it but now a days nah .

"That's not an M3!  That's a Pontiac Grand Am with a body kit!"

• Like 1

If you are a 17 year old kid and you drive a bike and you work at the supermarket in town with a 10.000 USD watch on the wrist, they know it's a

rep. I think it's the guy who wears the watch who makes the watch look like gen :)

I agree! Unless they have rich grandparents.