When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My Interim Review of Ordering/Purchasing TC's Type II LV Sub

SSTEEL

I have a gen black insert you can borrow (while you're waiting) if you want. PM me and we can work it out.

Thanks for your great offer my friend, but my understanding is the black gen insert requires a little fettling/sanding to get it to fit the TC LV Sub Type II whereas the gen green LV insert snaps straight in.

Thanks for your great offer my friend, but my understanding is the black gen insert requires a little fettling/sanding to get it to fit the TC LV Sub Type II whereas the gen green LV insert snaps straight in.

Not sure if thats accurate?  My LN insert went in with no modification required.

Not sure if thats accurate?  My LN insert went in with no modification required.

It would appear there are micro differences in size from year to year, this is what maybe causing problems.  Identifying the years of the inserts you are buying is a tough call to find out too, unless of course someone can identify/decode the Rolex numbers on the packets on sealed inserts?

I've already got it on my TC now. So it's not a problem if you want it.

• Like 1

Ok cool.  Will let you know, as I guess I will want to wear my new pride and joy.  Its just a shame you are US based, and I'm EU, I don't want to risk you losing your gen insert during shipping to me, and shipping back mate.

Got tracking number from Thomas just now, and its showing that it arrived in Helsinki on Friday 26th, so hopefully it will be at our local post office sometime today.

Will update with photos, and brief impressions once collected, and admired :)

• Like 1

You're going to be VERY impressed by the packaging. Trust me. I'm used to getting reps wrapped in plastic and styrofoam. This is a completely different experience.

Take pics of the packaging and post them...it's seriously impressive. Like the guys do with new gadgets. An "unboxing" video.

Collected my TC Sub this afternoon, and was like a kid at Christmas.  I have shot an unboxing video, which I am editing at the moment, so once done, and uploaded, I will post it here.  

In the meantime, here are some photos of the TC Packaging, and Case Set protection, and bracelet protection.  There are clear film strips on all polished areas of the case, which at first I thought there were scratches, which you will see in my video.  

SANY0936_zps0de3e214.jpg
SANY0937_zps7700c714.jpg
SANY0938_zpsd3cb4ec6.jpg
SANY0939_zpsf7159f93.jpg

Also picked up my new goggles from the opticians today too, and wow, I can see clearly again.  Only 8 years since my last pair, whoops.

I will post video when done, but will warn you, I do ramble a bit in it lol.

Having a mare with the video, after editing I was still way over the limits of Youtube @ 22 minutes, YT only allow 10 mins, so edited a bit, and got it down to 18, so still over.

Finally decided to upload to Vimeo, which should be done in the next couple of hours.

Quick wristie :p

null_zpsdbc76e43.jpg

And next to my Sub C

null_zps38c3679c.jpg

Lume shot, and not charged with a super-duper led torch either, just my desk lamp whilst resizing the bracelet.

Will update in more detail after I have worn it a while to see how long the charge lasts.

Tomorrow is photo shoot day, so be ready for plenty of close up, macro shots of my TC sub.  If there are any areas you would like to see in particular, let me know.

9402863154_c4e024b17f_b.jpg

Right, before I start the photo shoot today I wanted to post some personal thoughts, and opinions now the rose tinted glasses are off.  

Some of the below findings can possibly be resolved, which I highlight in brackets.

01. The bracelet feels quite light in comparison to other subs I have owned, gen, and rep. (Not held a Y series 2002 Sub LV though, so could be right?).

02. The folding Rolex stamped two fold part of the clasp is quite tight. (WD40 bath may fix this).

03. The V4 Clasp, whilst very nice to look at, again is very light, and feels unfinished.  Especially the fold over safety clasp, its fitting pin appears to be 0.5mm too big each end, which is quite obvious upon close inspection. (it is a prototype version after all).

04 The fold over safety latch mentioned above in, 03, this is very very sharp, and also unfinished. It actually protrudes about 1mm either side of the edges of the clasp itself.  (photos detailing this later).

Thats about it for now on the negatives.  I will highlight the above findings in photos, and video later today.  I will also shoot videos showing the bezel rotation, and second hand sweep.

The positives far outweigh the negatives with this particular TC sub, and those negatives are all related to the bracelet, and V4 clasp, but having said that, we need to remember, that the V4 clasp is indeed still in prototype phase.

Everything else as of right now, I am extremely happy with.  The time keeping is spot on thus far, been wearing the TC sub since putting the clasp on lol.  Only in the house though due to waiting for insert.

If you wear a big watch normally, you will find the TC sub wears quite small, even smaller than a Sub C, this is what I found after wearing my Carrera regularly, but again, this is due to the particular model Submariner the TC mimics. Y Series, 2002 LV.

The areas I was most impressed with for those who didn't watch my video, were the crown, and tube, very very smooth upon unscrewing and re-screwing the crown.  The time adjustment of this new TC2824 movement was also a positive experience.  Nice solid feeling/feedback in the crown/stem, with resistance whilst turning the hands to the correct time.

Date function is also a pleasure to set, again, nice tight crown, and stem, no wobbly bits here, and the date flicks over nice and positively.  The new DWO V3 looks spot on to my eyes right now, and again, I will cover this is photo Macro shots later.

When you receive your TC sub, don't be alarmed at first when you inspect the case of it, as it looks marked out of the box, but this is due to the thin, clear film pieces which cover all sides of the case.  (Reminder of photo of these below).

SANY0939_zpsf7159f93.jpg

Decided to give my TC Bracelet and V4 Clasp the Spa treatment, as the tightness hadn't loosened during wearing it for several hours, besides, I always like to give them a good soaking, and clean.  Due to this, photos of the bracelet, and V4 clasp will follow later today.

For now, I have taken many photos of the TC Case only for your viewing pleasure, some shots below have been taken of areas that have been requested by members.  The DWO @ 19 is one such example.

Please excuse any dust/marks etc, I did try and keep things clean, but due to my bench lamp, its picked up some crap.  Will get a photo box eventually.

Here we go, enjoy!

First up a quick video demonstrating the bezel rotation, and how it performs.  Its not too loose, or too tight, and in my opinion is just right.  Also in the below video is a quick look at the seconds hand sweep of the TC2824, and a look at the CG's.

th_SANY0973_zpsd524ec75.jpg

Now the photos..

SANY0941_zps9fbacdbf.jpg

SANY0942_zps8255f956.jpg

SANY0943_zpsdc5980a8.jpg

SANY0944_zps99f65c28.jpg

SANY0945_zps598abfe4.jpg

Now some close up shots of various areas..

SANY0946_zps199c8430.jpg

SANY0947_zpsbaa7eb0c.jpg

SANY0948_zps4c57139b.jpg

SANY0949_zps81799dcb.jpg

SANY0950_zps53b127af.jpg

SANY0951_zps807ae0b3.jpg

SANY0952_zpsed8a6737.jpg

SANY0953_zps7cbca617.jpg

SANY0954_zpsf76a85bd.jpg

SANY0955_zps052e860c.jpg

SANY0956_zps06217530.jpg

SANY0957_zps5d0e75bf.jpg

SANY0958_zpseba1f290.jpg

SANY0959_zpsc55c9002.jpg

SANY0960_zps3e481779.jpg

SANY0961_zps322c2222.jpg

SANY0962_zpsa99937ac.jpg

SANY0963_zpsbfa612c6.jpg

SANY0964_zpsbe98c169.jpg

SANY0965_zpsaf0ae7d7.jpg

SANY0966_zpsc950df80.jpg

SANY0967_zps0fdb8e98.jpg

SANY0968_zpsc3ed36d1.jpg

SANY0969_zps0c93e601.jpg

SANY0970_zps29fca7f8.jpg

SANY0971_zps31a07548.jpg

As mentioned earlier, once my TC bracelet and V4 clasp have been cleaned, and lubed, I will provide some photos of it, and highlight the area of the clasp which I feel lets the bracelet down.  Very sharp folding safety clasp which is also ill-filling due to a combination of being a prototype, and a long fitted retainer pin.