When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

POCKET WATCH MOVEMENTS IN NEW WRIST WATCH CASES

astonjenks

Hi guys

I have been playing with some old pocket watch movements and found some guys who make quite inexpensive ss cases that take a 44mm dial/movement. The attached photos are of the first piece that i have nearly finished all that is required is the new dial with the Roman numerals in the right position as this particular movement had a top crown and stem so required a 90 degree rotation. The lady making the dials uses the correct porcelain method and although an unmarked Swiss movement, she is copying this dial and placing the lovely small script of IWC on it which will make it look superb.

Labour aside, the total cost of this particular project (dependent on movement cost) will be around $600, however, if you used an old IWC movement or Rolex movement that cost will be significantly higher, but where else are you going to get such a cool wristwatch with a 47mm case and stunning Swiss movement?

Best regards

AJ

post-48021-0-21360900-1368298554_thumb.j

post-48021-0-66643100-1368298577_thumb.j

post-48021-0-19535800-1368298601_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks very nice. there are some folks in Ukraine that seemed to have started quite a cottage industry converting old pocket watches to wristwatches. These are way to big for me, but for you guys with bigger wrists they would be just the ticket.

You should be wary of starting a pocket watch to wristwatch conversion project. Recently there was an article on askmen that outlines the risk, mainly pocket watches were meant to be sitting vertically, this may affect the timing; also most pocket watch movements do not have shock protection that is common to all wristwatches, so an accidental shock could break the movement. There is also the issue of such projects have little re-sale value. 

Many thanks japanic

Interestingly I never started with values/selling in mind, however these are regularly trading from what I see on the bay for between $1-2000 sometimes more depending on the movement, there are several listed ending soon from the guys in the Ukraine that were mentioned earlier in the thread.

I would also suggest that immaterial of being vertical, horizontal or any other plane, as would have been in a 'pocket'  these movements were made robustly and have not lasted for 100 years or more for nothing and were often made to time the railways and indeed used for military purposes. That is not to say today's movements have not been improved in some ways, however pocket watch movements are still currently available and relatively inexpensive. The one pictured above runs for over 48hrs, horizontal and vertical and without being 'regulated' has run to within 15 seconds over that period. Personally I would rather use one of these true handmade Swiss movements with beautiful detailing than an inferior mass produced movement all day, this is where movements started and why 'Swiss made' become synonymous with quality.

Regards

AJ

"I would also suggest that immaterial of being vertical, horizontal or any other plane, as would have been in a 'pocket' these movements were made robustly and have not lasted for 100 years or more for nothing and were often made to time the railways and indeed used for military purposes."

Most of the higher grade pocket watches were adjusted in 6 positions so the resting position is not that important imho. What is important to these movements are the shocks and knocks encountered in everyday wear. I have a friend who is a gen-u-ine pocket watch guy (50 years at the bench) and he told me he has replaced at least 500 balance staffs in pocket watches...500!

Why?

Because they are so fragile.

Otoh...

There are some beautifully finished 12 size pw movements around and almost all are stem set. The 12 size is a lot easier to find a ww case for and do not look like a 'biscuit on the wrist'.

Size 12 Hamilton, Waltham and Elgin are still very affordable because watch traders do not like 12 size watches and parts are everywhere (in the USA). These movements are about the same size as the Unitas/Eta 6497 etc.

Railroad watches...

Railroad Approved movements are not as suitable to wristwatch conversions because they are lever set.

More or less universal USA RR Specs:

18 or 16 size

21 or 23 jewels (some RR allow 19 jewels)

must have cap jewels on escape wheel

lever set

stem wind

adjusted 6 positions

accurate within 15 seconds per day

Must be inspected by RR Approved Watch Inspector once a year and c/o every two years (some RR c/o every year).

'Transportation Grade' watches are the same externally as RR watches but usually have a 17 or 19 jewel movement, pendant set, and are not RR Approved...Hamilton 'Traffic Special' etc.

With the advent of quartz RR watches, many of the pocket watch rules are no longer enforced.

I have a Hamilton 992 (made in 1907) that runs on my desk pendant up and is always 6 or 8 seconds fast per day. The pocket watch guy made it out of odds and ends and put it in a Hamilton signed model 15 stainless steel case from the 1960s, it still has the original porcelain 'double sunk' dial, blue hands etc.   

The 992 had screwed in jewel settings and a regular alloy hairspring until the early 1930s when they were renamed 992E (E = Elinvar hairspring), then the 992B came out 10-15-1940 with friction fit jewels and all had the higher grade Elinvar hairspring. The 992B was easier to manufacture and was made from 1940 until 1969.

Some 992 info:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/american-vintage-watch-forum/38272.htm

What did the Conductor say after he crawled out of the train wreck?

"I don't know whether to sh*t or wind my watch."   :pimp:

• 1 year later...

Hi AJ/all,

I've picked up a couple of old pocket watch movements which I'd like to recase as wristwatches. Nothing super valuable and is all for fun and interest, but struggling to find the path that links to people who do this. I sense its done in Eastern Europe relatively cheaply but cant see anything more. In the US they seem to recase but work to known US movements. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Many thanks JS