When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Last Piece of the Puzzle

omgiv

I finally received the last remaining piece of the puzzle for my 1680 build.  It came yesterday, but I am actually too tired to do anything with it today.  It is killing me because it has taken over a year to find all of the correct pieces.  But....I know that I will be in a better frame of mind to work if I get a little sleep.  Here she is in all of her glory....

IMG_1327_zps670085b8.jpg

IMG_1332_zpsf99d32e4.jpg

IMG_1333_zpsb4c5e334.jpg

Here are the other pieces to the puzzle (all pieces are new or NOS)...

IMG_1334_zps86fae894.jpg

I know that I could have bought one for the price I paid for all of the parts, but there is no fun in that and it would not be as nice as this one will be.  I will keep the thread updated with pictures as I make progress.

Agreed, the fun is taking the time to do things the way you want, as if you cut corners, it will always bug the hell out of you.  Get plenty of rest, take your time with it, and all will be good.  Looking forward to seeing it all together mate.

Good luck!

The downside (other than the additional cost) to building a gen out of parts instead of buying a complete watch is that you (or a future owner) may have trouble having it serviced by an RSC due to the numbers not matching (RSC checks movement & case serial numbers prior to performing work). If you want to experience assembling a Rolex, I think it makes more sense to buy a complete watch & then learn how to overhaul it yourself. That way (assuming the overhaul is performed properly), you get the best of both worlds without any of the downsides.

I don't really see it as an issue.  This is one of the few watches that will never be sold.  I also don't know how much longer RSC will service these older models.  If they do give me a hard time, I can always do it myself (parts willing) or find someone with an account that can.  I wanted that NOS feel and buying a watch and adding parts was too cost prohibitive.

The downside (other than the additional cost) to building a gen out of parts instead of buying a complete watch is that you (or a future owner) may have trouble having it serviced by an RSC due to the numbers not matching (RSC checks movement & case serial numbers prior to performing work). If you want to experience assembling a Rolex, I think it makes more sense to buy a complete watch & then learn how to overhaul it yourself. That way (assuming the overhaul is performed properly), you get the best of both worlds without any of the downsides.

Not doubting that they check serial numbers to see if they match, but I thought they didn't service vintage pieces anymore.

That baby looks plenty snazzy!! i agree with Freddy, however there are a ton of good Rolex trained watchmakers with parts accounts around that will service your watch (Sbhould it ever need anything beyond what you can do). I doubt verys seriously that they look at serial numbers, looking for matches like a RSC would. Sometimes i think that RSC's go out of their way to look for any little discrepancy that will allow them to either, 1) Turn your watch down, or 2) Sell you a bunch of parts that will replace  other genuine, perfectly OK but non matching parts. 

To set the hands, I have a single Horotec hand press. There are cheap copies on eBay that probably work just as well. They even have a triple press so you can leave everything in place.

My method is to set the time until the date clicks over. That is midnight, so I pseudo set the hour hand to 12. I turn the crown 24 hours to make sure it is set to exactly 12. If it is, I press it on fully. I then set the minute hand and make sure that it lines up with the hour hand. The second hand is done on an adjustable movement holder that has a support for the sweep second pinion.

It's not too hard but you have to be careful not to scratch the dial or hands. It also helps if the hands are an exact fit, with no broaching or closing. Hope that answers your question.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, i have one of those single hands pressers on the way, but was wondering how exactly they work.  Do you attach the hand into the nylon part of the press first, and then lower the press down, and gently press onto the pinion?  If so, I'm guessing the different tips for different hand holes?

The above is what is puzzling me at the moment, and was even considering using my manual hands press stick with a tiny amount of Rodico on it, but would prefer to wait until my hands press arrives before finishing my franken Carrera, which has 3 small sub dial hands. 

The nylon tips don't actually hold the hands. You just have to select the tip that will fit over everything but overlap the size of the hand. The larger tips are for hour hands since they have to fit over the canon pinion. I normally use a piece of rodico to place the hand in place.

What this press has over the hand held press is that your press stays in a vertical orientation (assuming your movement is level). With a hand held, there is a chance of slipping or pressing hands on crooked.

Chrono hands are a pain because they always want to wander ever so slightly. Just use lots of caution, patience, and don't get frustrated.

• Like 1

Thanks again for clearing that up mate.  I have been practising on an old 21j for the last few days, and getting the hang of it, but with over €1000 in gen parts for my franken Carrera, I will await delivery of my hand press before carrying on with the work on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to snapping some pictures of the finished product.  I have to say that I really love this watch.  I have been wearing it for a week now and cannot believe it took me this long to get one.

IMG_1384_zps0ae59e60.jpg

IMG_1366_zpscf85d07f.jpg

IMG_1372_zpsb8299cfa.jpg

IMG_1389_zpsb53f9c58.jpg

Ha! You are probably right. I had two other 1680 service dials that simply had Rolex (once) on the back with a coronet. I assumed that these were later dials since they matched my 16610 dial back marking. So is it safe to say this may be an early Rolex made dial?

Ha! You are probably right. I had two other 1680 service dials that simply had Rolex (once) on the back with a coronet. I assumed that these were later dials since they matched my 16610 dial back marking. So is it safe to say this may be an early Rolex made dial?

I would date your dial as Late 90's service dial made by Rolex, as it is Luminova

My Dial is the same as yours ("L" far left of the crown, Blatant Open 6) BUT my Service Dial was made by Beyeler for Rolex  - Circa 1978 (Tritium and does NOT glow)

Luminova came out around 1998. Before that it was tritium. I've seen luminova dials marked Swiss- T<25 which I would think are early- I have one in my 16800. After that I've seen 1680 service dials marked Swiss, which are luminova also, just later. Rolex quit supporting the older watches quite a few years back- parts are no longer available- which means they'd rather sell you a new one.

1/2 life of tritium is 12 years so any dials from the 80s are pretty much dead at this point- might have just a slight glow but very weak.