When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Daytona Purchase

nicnick

Hi All! I've been haunting this forum for a couple years now and finally pulled the trigger. I ordered a white face Daytona from Joshua and I received the package delivery tag on my door yesterday. I can't wait to pick up my watch from the post office in the morning.

I'll post pics the moment I unwrap her. Question though, is there anything you all would recommend doing with a fresh out the box rep? I know I've read the bracelets usually need to be soaked in oil. Also, this is my first automatic... My daily driver right now is a gen breitling colt quartz. Any tips, tricks or hints would be very much appreciated.

Stay tuned for pics!

Awesome, thanks Freddy! I will search them now. I've been reading through various A7750 threads and started think I have bit off more than I can chew. But I'm sure all will be fine, I'm trying to not let my ecitment get the best of me. I really want to take the time to make sure my first rep is a great experience. Josh has already started me off on the right track. He was very patient with the hand holding I needed.

Not sure where your based but if your in the EU then i'd strongly suggest you to contact Rolexman who's based in the netherlands. He has serviced a lot of these potentially disappointing Daytona's and has a very high success rate at keeping them ticking!

Not in EU, California here. You know, I like to think I'm mechanically inclined. I've been reading a lot from The Zigmeister and I've read a lot of Freddy's grafite treatment. I'm going to do a lot more homework and try to tackle this myself. There is a future with these reps and hopefully a few gens and I'd like to know my way around them. So get used to me fellas.

Good news though, I picked up my daytona from the post yesterday and it's beautiful. Joshua is a great businessman and I can't thank him enough for my purchase.

I took it in to get it sized and the watch store had a white daytona used in their case. The dealer was very nice and I was upfront with him. I asked if I could compare it next to the real deal he had and it was spot on. The gen was on the lighter side, but I do prefer the heft of the rep. Other than that the rolex crown in the face was a little more refined next to the rep, but without being side by side you'd never know. I'm going to be posting pics tomorrow.

Not in EU, California here. You know, I like to think I'm mechanically inclined. I've been reading a lot from The Zigmeister and I've read a lot of Freddy's grafite treatment. I'm going to do a lot more homework and try to tackle this myself. There is a future with these reps and hopefully a few gens and I'd like to know my way around them. So get used to me fellas.

Good news though, I picked up my daytona from the post yesterday and it's beautiful. Joshua is a great businessman and I can't thank him enough for my purchase.

I took it in to get it sized and the watch store had a white daytona used in their case. The dealer was very nice and I was upfront with him. I asked if I could compare it next to the real deal he had and it was spot on. The gen was on the lighter side, but I do prefer the heft of the rep. Other than that the rolex crown in the face was a little more refined next to the rep, but without being side by side you'd never know. I'm going to be posting pics tomorrow.

Awesome :)

and the case size is thicker on the rep than on the gen

It is not a good idea to show your rep to an AD (gen dealer). Especially, in the case of a Rolex branded item, the AD may confiscate it &, in some cases, because it is illegal contraband & infringes on Rolex's trademarks & patents, you may also risk potential problems with Rolex attorneys.

It is not a good idea to show your rep to an AD (gen dealer). Especially, in the case of a Rolex branded item, the AD may confiscate it &, in some cases, because it is illegal contraband & infringes on Rolex's trademarks & patents, you may also risk potential problems with Rolex attorneys.

+1.....wow! :fool:

My lighting isn't is a bit off. The face is a very bright snow white and crisp looking. The steel rings on the chronograph are sharp and shinny. I'm also surprised at how bright the lume is.

I have to say, I'm pretty impressed at the detail in this little guy. Since this is my first rep I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. I didn't think I'd get a horrible watch, but I can't say I expected something with such great detail. I'm going to turn my attention to getting to know the movement for the next few weeks. But from the surface, this is definitely a keeper.

I would heed the advice of the experts here about having it serviced at a non rep friendly watch repair shop. just because you have a rapport with them relative to genuine watches, doesn't mean that they won't react negatively to a rep. Another thing, I doubt seriously that a watchmaker who isn't familiar with the idiosyncrasies of Chinese modified movements is going to tackle one of these. While he may be willing to service an ETA 2834 or 2836 in a rep watch, he probably won't fool with the modified A7750 Daytona. Most watchmakers aren't interested in tearing down a movement that they don't have a ready supply of parts for. This is a complicated movement and with the sec@6 mod, it's even more complicated. I would try to find someone here in the USA that is a rep friendly watchmaker who is willing to do the mods to make this a reasonably stable movement. 

Help me out here.  I am not disputing but rather seeking understanding. 

I have read this on this forum several times and I realize that an AD "might" cause an individual some minor legal problem (might even result in the loss of property), but, after all, he's a "jeweler" and a jeweler, in my locale, is not empowered to "confiscate" anything of mine.  I realize that one might cause a tense moment if an he takes his/her watch off and hands it to the jeweler.  I am sure that an altercation might ensue. However, if there is legislation afoot that gives a jewelry store owner (an AD) this kind of police power, I would like to be aware of it.  I'm sorry, but I just do not understand how that works.  Law enforcement would have to be involved at some level. 

I would think that the AD would need to go back to Rolex and file some sort of an internal complaint against me. Rolex might then elect to come after me with a legal action of infringement; and then, whatever the remedy was found to be would need to be accomplished, under court order, through a duly authorized enforcement agency of some type. But a jewelry store owner is just not empowered to take something of mine.

Has someone on this forum, actually, surrendered his/hers wristwatch to a jewelry store owner upon their demand?  Or how did it develop?

If your local jeweler repairs Rolex watches with genuine Rolex parts, he likely has a Rolex parts account. 1 of the (many) requirements for having a Rolex parts account is that you apprise Rolex SA of cases of trademark/patent infringement. Failure to do so, can result in loss of your account. Just sayin'.

Help me out here. I am not disputing but rather seeking understanding.

I have read this on this forum several times and I realize that an AD "might" cause an individual some minor legal problem (might even result in the loss of property), but, after all, he's a "jeweler" and a jeweler, in my locale, is not empowered to "confiscate" anything of mine. I realize that one might cause a tense moment if an he takes his/her watch off and hands it to the jeweler. I am sure that an altercation might ensue. However, if there is legislation afoot that gives a jewelry store owner (an AD) this kind of police power, I would like to be aware of it. I'm sorry, but I just do not understand how that works. Law enforcement would have to be involved at some level.

I would think that the AD would need to go back to Rolex and file some sort of an internal complaint against me. Rolex might then elect to come after me with a legal action of infringement; and then, whatever the remedy was found to be would need to be accomplished, under court order, through a duly authorized enforcement agency of some type. But a jewelry store owner is just not empowered to take something of mine.

Has someone on this forum, actually, surrendered his/hers wristwatch to a jewelry store owner upon their demand? Or how did it develop?

To answer your question in the USA No AD has the right to confiscate your watch! Period! Read the law guys and know your constitutional rights. However they can ask you to leave and never return. It's called trespassing.

Noob question but should the chrono hand and secs@6 be running in sync?

Only if you start the chrono at the exact same time the second hand hits 12 on the subdial. Then in theory the will both run at the same time. If you start the chrono hand at any point when the second hand is not at 12 it will be different. 

Why would you want them in sync?

Has someone on this forum, actually, surrendered his/hers wristwatch to a jewelry store owner upon their demand?  Or how did it develop?

I've always considered that an "old wife's tale". I don't believe anyone has given a retail store owner the legal authority to confiscate personal items from private citizens. And, it's perfectly legal to own or possess a rep in the USA as long as you aren't trying to sell it.

The store cannot just take a rep off your wrist because you walked into their store. However, technically, if you remove your rep to try on a gen Rolex & store personnel (who, in legal terms, are agents of Rolex) identify it as infringing on Rolex patents/trademarks, it can be seized. That said, even though they are trained to spot fakes, whether the average sales person is going to actually ID your rep &/or risk the potential fallout relating from mistaken identity is another thing.

Still, because Rolex is somewhat unique when it comes to the application of patent & trademark law (at least in the US), it is best to play it safe & never wear a rep into an AD or any establishment that repairs or sells Rolex watches.

Only if you start the chrono at the exact same time the second hand hits 12 on the subdial. Then in theory the will both run at the same time. If you start the chrono hand at any point when the second hand is not at 12 it will be different. 

Why would you want them in sync?

Cos in the pictures, they are in sync?

A few years ago I walked into Tourneau at Water Tower Place in Chicago, was browsing the Rollies, and the sales rep behind the counter began telling me about a recent seminar they all attended on how to spot fake Rolex.

She said "they showed us some examples, and we couldn't believe what excellent quality they were",

I'm like "really? I had no idea", trying to keep a straight face.

Anyway, I don't wear any reps into ADs, I'd be distracted and want to focus on looking at watches.