When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6263 Build questions

CptTripps

Hey gang. Looking for some advice from those that have been here before.

Assuming I can get my hands on a decent V72...

Case: Ingod or Phong? (Not much of a diff in price)

Dial: MQ, ND, or Ingod? (Pricing is all over the place, but is the extra $ for MQ worth it?)

Hands? No clue here.

Case => Phong or nothing. MQ or InGod are far away from the Phong work

Dial => If you want a newman dial, MQ. If you want a "classic" dial, DW if you are on budget, but if you go for Phong case + V72/6, I'll strongly suggest you to find at least a gen luminova service dial. It's worth the cost.

Hands => NEVER go for DW hands, these are bad quality. If you go with a V72, Phong hands might do the trick (be sure to ask photos before he ships, before his hands are not all good). If you go with V726, gen chrono hand is mandatory because the pinion of the movement is very large, and aftermarket hand will not like a strong enlargement :) If you go with gen dial, my best advise is to go with gen matching hands... because they simply worth the cost of never have "problems" like bent hands, or worse, broken hands.

What is pretty simple to understand is the two majors lacks of the majority of Daytona builds are dial & hands. Many people don't think it worth the cost to go with gen hands, but trust me, none of the aftermarket options are good. If you want a solid and durable build without any "trick" like gluing the chrono seconds hand, gen is the only way. And I don't mention fake hands are spotted in seconds... simply because they don't look good at all.

If your budget is restricted, I think it's better to going with aftermarket bezel, pushers, etc, because they are far more simple to change after. Once your $$$ dial is fitted on the movement, you don't want to swap hands too much time because of the risks...

Hope this helps !

Edited by Valty
  • Like 1

That's a big help actually.

Movement: No issue. I have 2 on their way right now, and may have a 726 by the end of the day.

I'm set on the MQ dial and hands. The Phong case may be tricky. I've bought a few from him recently, and had to send the last one back twice. It's still not right, but I'm done messing with him over it.

If I'm looking at doing 2 watches, it may be interesting to get one of Phongs and one of MQs to side-by-side.

That's a big help actually.

Movement: No issue. I have 2 on their way right now, and may have a 726 by the end of the day.

I'm set on the MQ dial and hands. The Phong case may be tricky. I've bought a few from him recently, and had to send the last one back twice. It's still not right, but I'm done messing with him over it.

If I'm looking at doing 2 watches, it may be interesting to get one of Phongs and one of MQs to side-by-side.

Dude you must have robbed the national bank ;)

G L with all of the projects!

Dude you must have robbed the national bank ;)

Not really. I'm not exactly "wealthy" but I'm used to spending $5-8K on watches that are worth...well...$5-8K. To spend that same $ on a nearly perfect replica of a $40-90K watch is a LOT of fun.

In my circles, it's commonplace to have high-dollar pieces, and they often know what to look for. That makes the 'hunt' all the more fun. I've also learned more in the 3-months I've been playing in "reps" than I did in 5 years of hanging around the Gen forums.

Honestly, if you are going all out why not pick up a gen dial on vrm? They can be found for around 2k which is a lot of money but you can always sell it for the same if not more than what you paid down the road.. And it looks way better. One watch with gen dial and hands would be better than two with mq dials imo.

Here's the movement that is on it's way.

Should work perfectly for what I'm building.

post-53458-0-83027300-1369847998_thumb.j

I ended up making a deal with Phong for a case set, dial, and hands. He's going to ship it tomorrow so I'll have it on Saturday. I'll have the movement tomorrow and should have a gen bracelet by Friday as well.

If (I ever) hear from Minh, I'll look at another dial at that point. I'm sure I'll always be able to off-load one of Phong's dials.

Here's the watch I'm shooting for...

post-53458-0-55577700-1369848194_thumb.j

I ended up making a deal with Phong for a case set, dial, and hands. He's going to ship it tomorrow so I'll have it on Saturday. I'll have the movement tomorrow and should have a gen bracelet by Friday as well.

Do post detailed photos of the case.  In the past, guys like Gimme and janeto72 have identified 3-4 distinct types of Phong cases.  (One theory was that Phong used a different case depending on the serial number you specified, but I'm not so sure about that.)  Some of these cases are objectively superior replications than the others.

I called an audible, and I'm changing direction on this build. I noticed that there was a 6264 dial that I could pick up...so I grabbed it and switched out for rounded pushers.

Here's the new aim for this build. (Now, a 6264)

post-53458-0-96408400-1369872314_thumb.p