When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Please explain to me why a pepsi insert is worth $1300?

grew

No, I was not speaking in jest, but I am incredulous as to how any long-time RWG member with any interest in Rolex could not be (at least generally) aware of the prices & values being assigned to vintage Rolex parts & watches. I mean, seriously.

Just in the past 30 days, I, alone, have posted 3 separate threads (1, 2, 3) discussing this subject. & that is just me.

Guest tomas415

Instead of answering my question you give a snarky response?

So how about a follow up question, does it have to do with the red backing? is that more rare than the blue backing?

Good on you mate ;) you just asked a simple question and you got a response like that, me to would have reacted like you did! Someone thats NOT snarky will have an aswere for you soon :)

Imo it's way overpriced, he's really reaching with that price. I see them all the time for 400-500$ on vrm there's no difference. It will not sell unless someone completely ignorant buys it

(Non-snarky :nono: ) It has 33 bids, most of the bids by one bidder who seems determined to buy it at any price. Either he knows something no else else does, ~Or~ he has too much money and not enough knowledge about watch parts. As cc33 said, the price is too high for a 1675 insert regardless it's condition. Might be someone from the far East where overpaying for luxury items is done regularly to impress others. 

(Snarky :whistling:) If you must ask, well then, you obviously can't afford it...( :black_eye: ) 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input guys, I was really curious as I know fat fonts do command a premium, but this to me seemed ridiculous. Would have much rather heard about some story about a super rare variant of the pepsi insert, but instead its just crazy bidders.

Here is my 16750. This is a naturally faded insert, as Freddy said, lots and lots of years of wear gives you natural aging, which by the way the guys on VRF are after. I try to go over to the VRF and VRM every few days, just to see what's for sale, as well as what everyone is talking about. I agree, asking 1300 for a faded Fat font GMT insert is pushing the envelope quite a bit. A decent 6542 bakelite maybe?

Vintage Rolex parts have gone out of sight!! Problem is, Rolex isn't making any more. Even to get a new insert, in most cases you have to take a genuine watch to a RSC or a watchmaker with a  Rolex parts account, so as time goes on, the vintage parts are getting scarcer and scarcer. At some point in time, who knows when, it will cost so much to replace parts in your old 1680 or 1665 that folks will be forced to use aftermarket parts, even though to the purist that is heresy, but it's going to either be that or toss the old watch in the sock drawer and forget about it. 

post-327-0-32232600-1369953772_thumb.jpg

to get a new insert, in most cases you have to take a genuine watch to a RSC or a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account

Case in point: my 1675 had a very rare "radial" dial. My Rolex AD called saying he had a gilt tropical dial for me; he intercepted sending it to Rolex as the swap dial for one he had recently got. I could have it but I had to give him a dial to send in. It was a tough choice, and I gave him my rare radial.

It was a completely unnecessary choice too, IMO. I can think of no legitimate reason they need a dial for every one they send out.

That's part of why vintage parts are getting crazy.

lets think about the good'ol days when the watchmakers were able to keep all the parts and didnt have to send them into the Rolex parts nazis

I suspect that those parts which were "hoarded" are many of the ones that we are seeing on The VRF marketplace, EBay and other sales venues. Rolex is trying very hard to dry up the supply of parts floating around. What makes me angry is their arrogance. They refuse to work on most vintage Rolex watches, but they want to control the parts so no one else can work on them either. All they are interested in is selling new watches

"Please explain to me why a pepsi insert is worth $1300?"

I know what you mean.

It is amazing to me that old faded out rolex dials, inserts, hands etc are worth so much. I think it is because so many of today's vintage sporty rolex owners try to look like the Tuff Guys that actually wore this stuff in the 1960s and 1970s...therefore the watches have to look the part.

Maybe not, but that's my guess.

(sporty rolex = 'tool watch')

Anyway, I paid less than $1000 for my last genuine 1675...faded pepsi bezel, bracelet and all.

...and the one before that, also sporting a faded pepsi bezel and a broken balance staff was $325.

The last new genuine pepsi insert I bought was $35.

Genuine vintage relax watches are out of reach for me now. It's Frankenstein or Nothingstein.

Maybe I am living in the past.

...or maybe I am a replicant. 

Question of the day...

Once you claim to be a replicant, can you recant?  :pimp: