When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacing the caseback of a DSSD?

georgelui7

Hi all,

I am looking to replace the caseback of my DSSD, as I feel the watch is too thick in general. I prefer the classic SD. Is there a way of replacing the thick caseback with something thinner? I have some submariner casebacks lying around, if that helps.

Thanks,

G

A normal sub caseback does not fit because the diameter of the thread is much smaller and it's only one piece construction. You can rework the two pieces of the DSSD caseback on a lathe and loose about 1mm in thickness. But you are loosing the engraved words, too.

I did this with a cheap sterile DSSD caseback. But it's only 1mm, you do not really feel it on your wrist. Only with a Nato it may be an advantage.

Here are pictures, the caseback was sanblasted again after reworking.

post-40043-137045118749.jpg

post-40043-137045119622.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply Ticktick! I am actually using a nato strap, which is why i'm interested in reducing the thickness. I haven't opened up the caseback of the dssd yet, do you know any casebacks that would fit it? and what's the diameter of the inner caseback?

The construction and diameters of the casebacks are not always the same. This considers to the manufacturer. I had 3 DSSDs which where all different.

The classic SD might be a good choice. If you do not want a real 1:1 rep you could try the DSSD v1. It's availible branded and sterile.

I builded this one from the v1:

post-40043-137052000052.jpg

post-40043-137052001758.jpg

Cheers

Andi

post-40043-137051996216.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

But that does not seem to be thinner at all? Also .. who the heck brushed the sides of your DeepSea ??  I have to assume that you don't care about the way the watch looks and are trying to "customize" it however you please.

JKay: This is my beater watch, I use it for sports, swimming, scuba diving, etc etc. I brushed it because there was a deep chip on the side with the helium valve due to a rock while scuba diving, and now it's gone!

For your information, It lost 3mm! it's now 14.xmm according to my caliper.

and come on, don't insult my 'customisation', I would have sanded the caseback down to produce a horrendous monstrosity if I hadn't found this method  :fool:

no worries, I am not a person who should be trusted with ANY watch, I have already destroyed a submariner! this will probably be reference to anyone who wants to find how to do this; I have found multiple threads on different forums regarding this caseback exchange.