When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tudor Black Bay, fresh from the AD, DOA!

Just a quick post regarding the recent purchase a friend of mine made. This is his first forray into the luxury watch market and he got himself an excellent deal on a Tudor Black Bay from a local AD. He shot me a message to show me a wrist shot and a couple other pics but was concerned because it wasn't ticking. He had given the watch a full wind of about 20 crown rotations, given it a gentle shake to get the balance going and he still had nothing. He assures me that there is resistance when he turns the crown so it's probably not a mainspring break and when he shakes it he describes the watch as "trying to sweep" normally, even without the main spring being wound you will get 5 seconds of sweeping just from the natural oscilation of the ballance wheel. but he's not getting even that. I suggested the possibility that the hair spring could be damaged or the balance could be binding and unable to move and if even one reducing gear is binding then the movement will be dead.

Do any of our experts have a suggestion as to what could be wrong with this watch, this is just out of curiosity as he plans to have the watch exchanged for a new one and wash his hands of the problem.

and for the record, this Black Bay on the distressed black leather strap looks incredible, I just love it and am kind of jealous.

It's always the Gens that give me the grief too  :inverted:  Crappy start for him but hey I'm sure they will sort it out sharpish for him ! Tell him Congrats on a fantastic looking piece from me   :)

I haven't handled the watch myself but he described it as a normal amount of resistance rather than anything abnormal. Also, I am pretty sure they are still using an ETA 2824. I'm as surprised as you are, this is a brand new watch from a Tudor AD. I'll suggest a quick slap in the palm see if he can get it going.

I wouldn't do anything except take it  back and exchange it for another one. If their watchmaker opens it and there appears to be any damage caused by "wacking it' on your palm or anything else out the ordinary, they are going to claim that it was damaged by the customer faster than greased lightning. It's covered under warranty, an if I were him, I would insist on a new replacement, not have them send this one back to a Service center and he has no watch for 3-4 months. Only a couple of days old, they should honor and exchange.

I think his plan is to have it replaced, it's actually only 1 day old and from the time of purchase it has never worked. I'm very surprised that his Gen Tudor is dead on purchase but I have been purchasing reps for 3 years and never recieved a watch that didn't funtion perfectly... ish :p

I can't believe he hadn't wound it and had it ticking right there in the store since he had been in to see it a half dozen times, the AD on the other hand, I can see them not knowing that the watch was completely dead or having never tested it

I can't believe he hadn't wound it and had it ticking right there in the store since he had been in to see it a half dozen times, the AD on the other hand, I can see them not knowing that the watch was completely dead or having never tested it

This with cream and cherries on top.

I would have had them wind, set and adjust the bracelet and I would have left the shop wearing it.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour from an AD.