When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Was thinking about getting a Gen but i had some questions

xxmanxx

Well i started working this summer and i get paid alot, enough to buy a gen Rolex, Omega,  or Breitling like ive always wanted but i started thinking. Would having a gen be any different than having a rep. Because i have some pretty nice reps but i dont wear them to often except when i go out to a restaurant or dinner party, you know with a  suit or something but since im in college and dont like to have something flashy on my wrist all the times. Would  it be worth it and would be i be more inclined to wear it becuase its a gen will anything change or will it be the same situation where im in love with it for a week then i just think of it was a pretty watch to put on during special occasions. So what im basically asking is is it even worth getting a gen instead of a rep becuase of the price differnce. And to people who have both do you see yourself using and wearing the gen more than your reps.

Gen's are always nice to have and hold different levels of attraction and pleasure for different people. From my personal experience, I prefer owning and having reps for several reasons.

Cost being the primary factor, I am able to purchase so many more reps giving me huge variety than the one gen I would otherwise have for the same money.

Since the reps are significantly less expensive, I find myself wearing them far more than any gen (I haven't worn a gen in weeks). The watches are for my own personal enjoyment and as such I find myself as happy if not happier when wearing a good rep as I am when wearing s gen. Once serviced the reps are extremely reliable and accurate which make the gens feel almost redundant.

Also, should something untoward happen to the watch then I wouldn't be a distraught as if a gen were to be damaged or similar.

Finally, I haven't found gen's to be a particularly prudent investment as I've taken fairly heavy hits each time I've sold one on (admittedly after a fairly short time of owning them). From what I've seen the percentage depreciation on reps is lower than for the comparable gen hence in a slightly unusual way, the reps make reasonable investment sense.

At least, that's my thinking/experience on the matter, your mileage may vary.

Well...if the money really isn't needed and you can spend it like this...then I would say buy a gen...but from my own experience buy a Rolex sporty (Submariner, SeaDweller, Daytona, Explorer,...).

Rolex sportys won't loose on value but will gain some...for example... Back in 2008 I bought a gen Explorer II black face from 1998 used but in good condition for 1850€. Right now one has to spend more then 3k€ for the same watch.

Same is with all the other sportys...

So what I'd like to say is...when you feel the need to have a gen then go for it, but beware of what you buy in case you need to sell it one day. Most brands will loose their value especially when they're worn as a daily beater...Rolex sportys won't or at least they didn't in the past so I don't expect they will in the future!

As others have said, if your in a position to buy a gen at such a young age my advice would be to go for it and hang on to it for life. When I was 21 I bought a gen datejust and a seamaster, but I proceeded to chop and change them over the next few years. This was fun at the time as I owned countless gens from Omega to Graham and everything inbetween, however as life started getting complicated (Kids, Cars, Mortgage, Wife, Wedding etc) the watches were slowly downgraded, I went from Rolex/Omega on to Seiko and micro brands such as Helson. Then when I needed funds for a business venture I sold everything and bought a rep. Now I have a few reps and im still happy, but I often think that I should have held on to those first couple of gens for life.

B3nj4min3 has some very good points, especially:

"Finally, I haven't found gen's to be a particularly prudent investment."

I found this to be true.

The only good watch 'investments' I made were watches bought 30 years ago and sold recently or solid gold models bought when gold was $300US+/- per troz plus a few vintage rolex watches that I stumbled on over the years when they were not worth much.

After what I said above, I will also say...if you buy a genuine watch, buy one that you:

(1) like 

(2) can find parts for

(3) will be fairly easy to sell if the time comes when you need $$

I am always harping on parts but many genuine watch owners have no idea how hard it is to find parts today, it is sometimes nearly impossible or too expensive to be worthwhile.

Reminds me of my college years, did a summer internship that at the time was good money, esp for a college kid. I needed to save most of it for the next years expenses, but managed to scrape enought together to buy my first pair of nice sunglasses. I got a pair of wire frame Oakleys, still have them today 15 years later. My wife wears them now, so I know that I have good taste, both in women and style!

Buy something that fits you and your taste, something classic that will stay with you for the years to come. I personally like the idea of the Omega PO ceramic, to me more taste than the current sub. If your set on a rolex, go for a new 42mm Exp II GMT. Nothing against the idea of an used or vintage model but buy new and it will be something uniquely yours that you can pass down to your kids.

And yes, buy it now, don't sell no matter how much you want the cash for another purchase because life will demand more from you down the road!

Get a nice rep.

Just for kicks instead of Omega, Rolex or Breit, get something like Patek Nautilus rep or whatever you like, get it serviced.

Take the "gen rolex" money you saved and put it into Roth IRA. As a matter of fact, since you are college age and you happen to make good money don't spend it on expensive watches quite yet.

I've only got one expensive gen which is a watch I've loved ever since I saw it over 10 years ago, and my feelings towards the watch hadn't changed when I had the opportunity to buy one a few months back, so i did. Breitling Aerospace. No reps exist (well, only very, very crap ones exist) so the choice was easy for me.

But I wouldn't just buy a watch because you want something expensive and an investment, otherwise it'll just sit in the drawer. Might as well buy a lump of gold or a rough cut diamond or similar.

Get something you love and will wear regularly.

The big problem I would have had at your age is my tastes were aligned with my age and have changed a lot over the years. What you think is great now may seem brash and naff in 10 years time. But once you have the gen, you can px it for another one in 10 years time, if you don't buy one and save the money it will find ways of spending itself!

Go for a gen if you can afford it, I've had a few real nice franken subs, tc bk ect which have all been super reps but nothing compares to a gen, I always choose the gen from the box over a rep which makes my frankens redundant......I would say tc and bk subs are so close to gen its unreal. :)