When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New fella saying hello, and a question

Hello chaps

New member signing in and to say hello.

I fancy a change in my collection, so I'm asking for your advice. I've a Rolex SD as well as a PAM 390 Boutique Edition which I frequently rotate. But i've always wanted a ROO. So the big question is, do I sell the pair to get a ROO? What are they like to wear as a daily wearer? Fortunately I don't have to wear a shirt & tie for work anymore, so it might be prone to the odd spot of desk diving.

So over to the experts. You!

Adam

Welcome Adam! As a daily PAM wearer who's flipped through a few Sea Dwellers in the past I am also curious about this. It seems like I would need about a grand to play the AP game nicely (nice aftermarket strap, movement serviced and modded for reliability). Are they worth it? I should prob head on down to my local AP AD and find out... A few pics to get this thread popping... 4edytaqu.jpgjype9yhe.jpge2u6ypuh.jpg Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Adam -- 

If you are looking for a daily wear AP, I would go with the Diver V3.5. I have several ROO chronos, but I don't think they make for good daily wear watches, mainly because of the movement. I wear mine for a day or two, then put them away for a month or so and all of mine have help up well because of this. The extra gear puts a heavy stress on the movement if worn too much in my opinion. Just something for you to think about. 

Yup, like just mentioned, a good start would be the Diver 3.5 to have a good feel and size of the ROOs and a very good rep rubber strap. Going the chrono route will require the higher price of watch (USD500+) itself and a need for aftermarket hornback strap (USD150-350) or even Gen hornback which will set you back USD500 because the rep strap is pretty crap.  

Aaa fairly new AP guy, I would say it is expensive. But not as bad as you'd think. Start off with the 3.5 diver. It's lovely.

As for the ROOs, strap needs instant replacing. Modding can wait, when you're bored. And don't overly stress about the chrono.

Just my 2 cents.

Masmannan

Ended up pulling the trigger on a v2.0 Diver the other day.  I am blown away by the quality.  The piece I have is from another trusted member, mods are relumed, rebrushed bezel, recessed bezel screws, colorless double AR on crystal.

I understand the gen may not have double AR on the crystal, but man it really lets the dial pop.  The build quality, fit and finish are excellent.  Can the build quality on the 3.5 be that much better?