When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I see alot of QC photos, but dealers ask buyers to not post them? what do mods think?

Ricardo L

When i get QC photos from Andrew his email states, please dont post these photos in a forum.

But I see lots of people putting up their QC photos and asking others to look them over .. is it because the mods and members think that the dealers can't ask for people to not share their photos? - or what?

Edit: Title should have read, what is the etiquette .. not what do mods think.

Edited by Ricardo L

As a general rule, the staff does not get involved in members' private transactions. That said, I was not aware that sellers were asking buyers not to post their QC pics. As this (posting QC pics) seems to have been a common occurrence since the QC pics began, you might address your question to the seller.

As a supplier Andrew can ask whatever he wants, you can choose to go along with him or not, it's up to you. That being said he can take what ever action he feels appropriate if you do post. I imagine this could include him doing nothing, not supplying QC pics the next time for you or not selling to you at all. I would think it depends on how strongly both parties want to take it(bad for businesses in both cases) I think some dealers just get a little tired seeing threads with every part of there product being picked apart by the knowledgeable and not so, for flaws real or imagined because some one says "Whats wrong with this". Especially when the person posting wouldn't know good one if it was sitting in front of them because they couldn't be bothered to do any research apart from picking out a pretty watch. JMHO

This subject has been discussed on this forum a number of times in the past few years.  I too, have been urged not to discuss QC photos with the forum by a number of dealers here.  

What I find bizarre about the QC issue is that obviously there is no way of determining whether the photo shown the customer will in fact be the watch that is actually shipped by the dealer.  So what is the point of asking forum members what they think of a specific photo?

The critical eye of members of this forum will always find something wrong with a rep dial.  But in fact there can be, and are errors or misalignment issues even with gen watches.

IMO buying reps on line is a crap shoot, but then so is buying a gen online.  

Best bet...go to an AD and study your gen purchase in your hands, and on your wrist.  

Having that luxury with a rep purchased online will never be the same experience.  

Spend your dime, take your chances, QC photos or not.

I do spend my dime but I am unwilling to take more chances than absolutely necessary. Now I am not a picky guy and have never refused a watch still good to put it out there for the crew. I have how ever seen some guys drive dealers crazy over bullshit, just not how I do things.

"You are paying the money, do whatever you want as long as you are not being an a**."  Exactly...............

Here is the deal : some people get too anal on slightest imperfections, forgetting that the watch in question is a replica. Then the buyer requests to replace the watch , then he posts again and the game continues. Dealers are pretty tired of this so they ask not to post.

Personally unless I'm familiar with the model I always post. I just disregard the nitpicking comments and look for more obvious flaws. I never asked for a replacement up until now.

Keep it fun, remember its just a replica watch. Your life doesn't dependent on it.

I have never posted QC pics before, the flaws I am looking for are physical damage or obvious imperfections. I just ok'd a Planet Ocean with crooked 12 o'clock marker after requesting a new watch because of a scratch on the bezel, pick your battles and decide what you can live with in your replicas. The real flaws are with functionality and those don't come through in pics. I'm thinking about starting to request QC videos ;)

• Like 1

"I think its because we point out the slightest mistakes and then want a different watch 5 times and its a pain for the dealer."

"You are paying the money, do whatever you want as long as you are not being an a**."

"What I find bizarre about the QC issue is that obviously there is no way of determining whether the photo shown the customer will in fact be the watch that is actually shipped by the dealer. So what is the point of asking forum members what they think of a specific photo?"

"The critical eye of members of this forum will always find something wrong with a rep dial. But in fact there can be, and are errors or misalignment issues even with gen watches."

All the above are very good points. I am not as particular as many but I would have a problem with something that is not easily fixed...dial blemishes, bad printing, case/bracelet damage, wrong type of clasp, wrong bracelet, etc and this usually shows up on 'QC' photos so they do have a purpose assuming you get the watch in the pictures.

As for 'going public' with the 'QC' photos...if it was me, I would take the watch if it looked Ok to me in the 'QC' photos, then post pictures of what I got vs the 'QC' photos if there was a cosmetic problem. Mechanical problems can not be seen and many times may have been caused by handling.

The better the watches get, the more perfection is expected.

The statement below sums it up and in reality we must accept it whether we want to or not:

"IMO buying reps on line is a crap shoot, but then so is buying a gen online."

I have rolled craps quite a few times.  :pimp:

The Mods can not enforce the will of the dealers. Use your head :p domain seizure, anyone?

This message board is for people who collect replica watches as a hobby. It is *not* a tool Dealers use to sell counterfeit watches.

Asking Mods to weigh in on enforcing Dealer requests is clueless and dangerous.

• Like 2

While we tend to be more anal about details than civilians might be, 1 of the primary reasons for RWG's existence is to educate the rep community. To that end, I think it is always advisable to get input from others (with relevant knowledge) before clicking the buy button. That way, both sides win. On the other hand, if the seller feels you are being unrealistic or if the issue cited occurs on all the seller's reps of that model & the buyer is unwilling to accept it, the seller can cancel the sale & neither side feels taken advantage of.

Well, look at it this way:

Imagine all the people buying from Andrew in a week.

Now imagine of all the threads being started in said week on all rep boards combined.

Now imagine how much time it would take to search through all the threads and then match the posted QC picture to the buyer (who might or might not have shared his username).

Whether or not you post the QC pics is simply depending on your good will to honor Andrews terms. 

That's about it... 

Edited by Akira

I am one of the guilty parties in that I have posted QC pics. My main reason for doing so (inspite of the general request not to share such pics) is to bring in people who have vastly more experience than me in spotting potentially serious flaws that I would not notice.

Having conducted a fair bit of research I know some things to look out for however I feel more eyes are better, especially more experienced eyes (and younger, sharper eyes!) could help.

After-all, one of the many reasons for joining a forum such as RWG, is the wealth of knowledge that many of the members here have. It makes sense (at least to me) to ask for help in addition to conducting one's own research until one is proficient enough to spot major flaws (if there are any).

As for the point raised that we cannot even be sure whether the QC pictures shown are of the actual watch we ultimately receive, I guess we have to take it on faith that the pictures shown are of the actual watch sent out to us. Although I cannot be 100% sure, I am fairly confident that the QC pics and the watch sent out are of the same watch.

If you need to ask " is this a good watch" then you have absolutely no business buying said watch. Are you going to take QC pics of a TV and ask is this a good TV? How about a game system ? Or maybe a desktop ? How about a mountain bike?

Those decisions could very easily over value a $300 rep. Yet, I presume you do your homework and make the choice on your own about any other purchase. Why is this any different? Our "TD's" have been around longer than some and will be around longer than most.

The thought of a "TD" being questioned nauseates me. These TD's have been through a plethora of libel from so many of the " knowledgeable members". Many of whom, have no tact, nor manners, and just speak their mind. (My kind of people, btw :) )

The TD's reputation far out weighs your [censored] ant $300 purchase.

Keys to success here. IMHO.

Keep quiet.

Listen or read.

Search the forums.

Evaluate your financial situation.

Browse the TD's website.

Make a list of " Possibles"

Research some more.

Be a gentleman.

Ask a couple of limited & educated questions.

Pay the damn man.

Shut up & wait.

Pretend it's Christmas when your watch arrives.

Post positive feedback for your TD.

Take lots of pictures.

Share your POSITIVE buying experience with us.

Repeat steps 5 more times. Then consider becoming a contributing member.

END.

********************** Note to self ******************

Research on becoming a contributing member.

• Like 1

If you need to ask " is this a good watch" then you have absolutely no business buying said watch. Are you going to take QC pics of a TV and ask is this a good TV? How about a game system ? Or maybe a desktop ? How about a mountain bike? Those decisions could very easily over value a $300 rep. Yet, I presume you do your homework and make the choice on your own about any other purchase. Why is this any different? Our "TD's" have been around longer than some and will be around longer than most. The thought of a "TD" being questioned nauseates me. These TD's have been through a plethora of libel from so many of the " knowledgeable members". Many of whom, have no tact, nor manners, and just speak their mind. (My kind of people, btw :) )The TD's reputation far out weighs your [censored] ant $300 purchase. Keys to success here. IMHO.Keep quiet.Listen or read.Search the forums.Evaluate your financial situation.Browse the TD's website.Make a list of " Possibles"Research some more.Be a gentleman.Ask a couple of limited & educated questions.Pay the damn man.Shut up & wait. Pretend it's Christmas when your watch arrives.Post positive feedback for your TD.Take lots of pictures. Share your POSITIVE buying experience with us.Repeat steps 5 more times. Then consider becoming a contributing member. END.********************** Note to self ******************Research on becoming a contributing member.

An interesting point raised and perhaps a nerve-or-two hit. Would it suffice to say that purchasing a rep is not analogous to purchasing a gen of any item? There are many magazines and websites where people ask for advice on purchasing said items. It isn't the mere value of the specific item, rather the fact that it is a replica.

Your presumption that homework is conducted prior to purchasing is correct and your approach to the purchase is certainly interesting. However, if one were not to ask certain questions then how could one learn? Throughout life we are taught, "ask and he shall receive". Unfortunately, it seems that one can receive a fair bit of flaming here. Not-to-worry, each to their own I guess.

Personally, if a trusted dealer ever took action for against me for posting QC pics, I would just buy the genuine watch, scan the receipt and email it back to them with a little note saying "this business could have been yours."

I doubt he'll even flinch. Or care. You're one man in a very long line of people interested in reps. Besides, we all have bought gens. I felt dumb doing so because why buy 1 watch when I could buy 10-15.

If you need to ask " is this a good watch" then you have absolutely no business buying said watch. Are you going to take QC pics of a TV and ask is this a good TV? How about a game system ? Or maybe a desktop ? How about a mountain bike?

The TD's reputation far out weighs your [censored] ant $300 purchase.

A TV and mountain bike are often manufactured by multi-billion-dollar corporates with a clear

statement of quality, service and return policy. Also you get them from a licensed seller nearby with a full-time service in case something goes wrong.

That's not the same then buying from a criminal dealing with illegal goods, which were obtained in a sweatshop miles away from your own location.

Relying on reputation in this trade is for naive people. Just because those dealers don't scam you doesn't mean they aren't trying to

slip in a few lemons from time to time.

• Like 1

An interesting point raised and perhaps a nerve-or-two hit. Would it suffice to say that purchasing a rep is not analogous to purchasing a gen of any item? There are many magazines and websites where people ask for advice on purchasing said items. It isn't the mere value of the specific item, rather the fact that it is a replica. Your presumption that homework is conducted prior to purchasing is correct and your approach to the purchase is certainly interesting. However, if one were not to ask certain questions then how could one learn? Throughout life we are taught, "ask and he shall receive". Unfortunately, it seems that one can receive a fair bit of flaming here. Not-to-worry, each to their own I guess.
How right you are Sir. We are all blessed to many a degree. But exercising ones due diligence and googling "common sense" will certainly be an invaluable habit. But, forgive me as I criticize your " Ask and you shall receive" statement. I am that guy that will listen attentively with great respect and admiration but when I'm being fed B.S, i'm gonna slam you. The statement " Ask and you shall receive" is quite possibly one of the most renown quid pro quo expressions in our English language history. The realization that people have bastardized it and diluted it from it's original and Intentional context is utterly grotesque and an abomination. This statement is from LUKE 11:9 in which you were consoled to " ASK GOD for his guidance, forgiveness, love and protection." ONLY then are you recognized to receive his blessing in which you have asked. Not to be so damn lazy you'd rather " Ask the most mundane questions of everyday life" and " Receive a handout, then to actually EARN your answer. Edited by L8terz

A TV and mountain bike are often manufactured by multi-billion-dollar corporates with a clear

statement of quality, service and return policy. Also you get them from a licensed seller nearby with a full-time service in case something goes wrong.

That's not the same then buying from a criminal dealing with illegal goods, which were obtained in a sweatshop miles away from your own location.

Relying on reputation in this trade is for naive people. Just because those dealers don't scam you doesn't mean they aren't trying to

slip in a few lemons from time to time.

You're joking right? Or you are drunk ?

Relying on reputation is EVERYTHING in this industry. So, our admins exhaustedly designed a forum for TD reviews. Member reviews. TD links. And have shared thousands of pics and advice condoning who to buy from and who's a scam for the sake of their health and not to preserve some sort of order and faith in collecting reps ?

So, every member who is actively on here is naive ? Isn't that why you are here ? To gain knowledge and purchase a rep from a TD with a great reputation ?

How did a 12 year old get on here is my question? You obviously are confused and must have thought this was a candy crush forum where reputations are useless and for the naive.

I doubt he'll even flinch. Or care. You're one man in a very long line of people interested in reps. Besides, we all have bought gens. I felt dumb doing so because why buy 1 watch when I could buy 10-15.

You're probably right, but it's a small world and a flight to Guangzhou is as easy as pie. In an increasingly connected world obtaining quality replicas is easier than ever ;P