When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Tale of 2 Franken 1665 DRSDs

danielv2000

One of my favorite watches is my 1665 DRSD with a gen 1570 under the hood.  I've been gathering parts to build a 1665 Comex to complement it for some time.  After several setbacks, I decided to pick up an already built 1665 DRSD (yes, I now have 2) with a beautiful 1570 in there as well.

As i debate which dial to sacrifice, I'm reaching out to all the experts.  Both dials are beautiful but very different.  My original one has only a faint tint of yellow in it - almost whitish creamy.  The new dial is more yellow/orange.  I like them both.   I swear they are the same dial except for the color.  Opinions, PLEASE!!!

Also, although i purchased both with supposed gen crystals, both are very different.  I will post pics later but the new one has a greater distortion effect.

My old one:

o2w2.jpg

My new one:

xh5g.jpg

My old one:

ysqa.jpg

lgpt.jpg

My new one:

l6u1.jpg

I have a Minh 1665 Comex.  I will try to find a picture or take another

Please do! I wanted to make a more accurate version of this (as the ndt/yuki versions aren't great), but couldn't find any high resolution pictures.

Haven't seen the Minh version, is it pretty accurate?

I prefer the whiter version also. Something about that orange colour I find "artificial" ;)

I know what you mean. Yet, I've seen gens with similar color.

I prefer the whiter lume, but it looks like the m in 610m is floating mid-way up the side of the 0 on both dials (it should be vertically aligned with the bottom).

True. These 2 dials are identical. It's really down to question of color.

Whats the specs on your two builds?

My old one is an MBW with gen 1570, crown, crystal, insert, springbars and what I think is an NDT dial. It also has a gen silver datewheel. No HEV. That's why I may transfer everything into a Phong mid-case with working HEV.

See here :

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/160345-phong-and-mbw-compatibility/

The new one is a Yuki case, gen 1570, crown, super dome, insert, springbars and a NDT dial. White silver datewheel. Working HEV.

I was hoping to like my new dial more. That way, the new watch does not need touching. I can take my old one, move everything into the Phong and swap dials.

Still not sure. I'll wear them both for a little while.

To top it off, I have an old MBW DRSD with a slow beat ETA. Not sure what this will become...

Both dials look to be CWP dials; the serif fonts being the key indication there.

Some other vendors sell/offer this dial as well...

Just checked out the CWP website and can't see any dials. I'll check my notes on my 1st 1665.

Both dials look to be CWP dials; the serif fonts being the key indication there.

Some other vendors sell/offer this dial as well...

Hi Ubi ~ please help someone who's still a newb after 4 years .. what's the acronym CWP stand for ?

Please do! I wanted to make a more accurate version of this (as the ndt/yuki versions aren't great), but couldn't find any high resolution pictures.

Haven't seen the Minh version, is it pretty accurate?

See this thread. Took a little while since the search function is down.

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/155540-comex-dial-options-which-is-more-accurate/

Clearer dial is a much more credible alternative, even if the "m" in 610m is a give away.

Yellower dial has a lume color that is not so credible, plus puffiness (looks like it but not sure, pics are so so) which is another give away. These dials, especially the Stern dials (Comex 1665s, Rail 1665s) have slightly textured lume plots, similar to a sheet of thick, quality paper, but never puffy plots. The "m" confirms it as a replica.

Most original DRSD dials, or 1665 dials at large, never have such dark yellow / caffe latte lume plots, or strong color transitions within the same plot. They are naturally aged, and look like 40 year watches, not 65 year watches (Bond Subs). After all, these watches are not that old.

There are many examples of dark colored dials in these pages that look pretty to the eye, and are proof of their owner's countless hours spent in taking care of them, but that are loud and clear giveaways, I'm afraid.

Edited by drainaps

Im leaning towards my original.

What about the crystals? The new one has a greater amount of distortion vs my old one. I know there are different types of crystals for these but any input would be greatly appreciated.

White creamy dial for me mate  :)  but both are really nice tbh ! 

As far as the crystals go I'm no expert but the flatter looks like a service T19 and the other a Superdome, trying to find a link I used to have for a comparison of them all for you