When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A Tale of 2 Franken 1665 DRSDs

danielv2000

How can you say that gen sd didnt have yellowish lume like that? Ive seen gens of all color types. From brown to yellow. Its not a give away at all. heres a few examples of gens that have orignal dials with different colored lume. You can never judge a vintage rolex because of its lume fade color. Theres so many differnt lume colors you never know what color it will fade to.

Hi again and thanks for your words and pictures. I believe I wrote "most" not "all" SDs, and made specific mention to Stern Dials. As for lume color being a give away or not, the debate can be long indeed. I'd never qualify a dial as original or else based solely on the lume color, but, at least in my case, it sets the bells ringing, especially darker yellow tones as the OP's recent purchase. In the part of the world where I live, I've seen far more reps in dark colors than originals, and a few of these have transitted through my hands or through dealer friend hands (your third picture is from a well known HK Dealer, the first one from another well known reference Dealer).

As said by JKay, how the lume evolves depends on the luminescent pigments that were exposed to the Tritium, and general consensus is that the longer the dial has been exposed to sun light, the lighter the color of the plots.

In any case, for the OP, keep what speaks to you, and in case you want to let go of the lighter dial/ watch, please PM.

Enjoy your day.

• 3 weeks later...