When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some serious problems with my custom 1675 :(

docthor

I managed to disassemble the retaining ring and the bezel and installed it without the washer...nothing changed...the bezel still isn't moving.

So I can say at least for my assembly it wasn't the washer...would have been to easy to fix :(

Yeah...that must be a different problem. I could put my bezel ring on without the washer and it would snap on fine, but it would just spin freely.

So... you took it apart, and it came apart, and that is somehow a "serious problem"? Having the bezel assembly come off when you slide a knife under it and pry it up is not a "problem" it's what is supposed to happen.

Yeah...that must be a different problem. I could put my bezel ring on without the washer and it would snap on fine, but it would just spin freely.

I've noticed the retaining rings from Gary are sort of all over the place. I usually just use the bezel ring and modify the stock retaining ring to fit the Clark bezel.

Yes Gary bezel assembly's are all the places. I know because I have tried so many times... But I found a guy who sells some bezel assembly here in nyc but a bit more expensive. I don't know if they are same one Gary sells but all the ones I got from this guy worked very well. Maybe I just got lucky.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I wouldn't recommend that wso bezel assembly... Not really good and it costs a lot more than the other bay guy

+1 wso bezel assembly's are floppy and NOT good they are realy bad!!! For my 1675 builds the gary clark was the best!

So... you took it apart, and it came apart, and that is somehow a "serious problem"? Having the bezel assembly come off when you slide a knife under it and pry it up is not a "problem" it's what is supposed to happen.

I've noticed the retaining rings from Gary are sort of all over the place. I usually just use the bezel ring and modify the stock retaining ring to fit the Clark bezel.

Well...it's a serious problem for me since I'm not in modding at all and didn't expect this to happen + that the bezel still won't move and the watch isn't waterproof any more :(

All I expected and am able to handle is a bezel that is coming off and maybe needs some sanding, cleaning, WD40 treatment, whatsoevertomakeitmove....

Okay...noted...do not buy from WSO...to expensive not good to use either...

It seems the best for me (and probably the watch ;) ) is to leave it like it is and hand it over to dutchguy2. He's way more experienced than I am and probably knows what to do or at least is able to change the whole assembly and have the watch waterproof again :)

M...I already managed to disassemble the bezel and retaining ring. Topokys advice was pretty good :)

I soaked both in WD40 for a few minutes but when I put them together the bezel still won't move.

So probably a new bezel assembly is needed...I don't know :(

Maybe I'll drop in at Domis next week and see what he can do to it...

I had the same problem with one of these bezel assemblies and the trouble was the same...the tension washer was a tad too small and was causing the rotating bezel to jam up. I cut the id of the tension washer out a little bit and it worked just fine.

Also had one where the tension washer was too thick and had to sand it down. The rotating bezel was too loose without the tension washer.

Lay the crystal retaining bezel and rotating bezel on a flat surface (glass etc) and see if they are flat. Not flat = binding.

Lessons learned:

After mounting the crystal on the case with the crystal retaining bezel installed...try the rotating bezel on for size without the tension washer and see if it works Ok and does not bind. If it works Ok without the tension washer, then binds up with the tension washer installed...the washer is the trouble.

If the rotating bezel has a few tight spots but otherwise is Ok, you can put some Simichrome polish etc inside the rotating bezel and on the crystal retaining bezel and usually smooth the action out after a few dozen turns in both directions. Remove the rotating bezel and clean all polishing compound off before final assembly.

Push down a little bit on the rotating bezel when turning it back and forth setting it to time etc to prevent wear on the two bezels where they snap together. 

"It is the last time that I have used the clark assembly. Next time I will try the WSO one."         

I recently purchased 1680/5513 bezel assemblies from Clark and ST and they were identical, matte finish, dimensions and all. Never tried a WSO assembly.

Recently got a 1675 bezel assembly from Clark and it was identical to submariner parts, matte finish and all...except for dimensions and insert.

Have an ST 1675 bezel assembly from three years ago and it came with a polished rotating bezel. It fit a genuine 1675 perfectly using the original crystal retaining ring and a genuine 1675 bezel insert snapped in just fine.

Did not try the Clark 1675 rotating bezel on the genuine 1675 crystal retaining ring.

(I bought the 1675 from the original owner after he knocked the rotating bezel off and quit wearing it. His wife gave it to him 12-25-79...with swiss jubilee bracelet.)

It sounds like you could just shave the OD of the retaining ring a little - sounds like its too big ,yes?   So the bezel is fitting on too tightly.    I had the same issue on my last 1675, using the rep retaining ring (for the 1680 style bezel it came with) , with a WSO bezel.   I just jury rigged a mount to get the retaining ring on my dremel and then sanded the outside a bit, now it turns fine. 

It sounds like you could just shave the OD of the retaining ring a little - sounds like its too big ,yes?   So the bezel is fitting on too tightly.    I had the same issue on my last 1675, using the rep retaining ring (for the 1680 style bezel it came with) , with a WSO bezel.   I just jury rigged a mount to get the retaining ring on my dremel and then sanded the outside a bit, now it turns fine.

This is what I've been doing- sand the OD of the crystal retaining ring or the ID of the bezel, or both. I've done this on the aftermarket 16610 bezel assemblies also. I use a 320 or 400 grit sandpaper (wet/dry) and do it by hand- nice and slow w/ some test fitting along the way. It usually doesn't take too long- 30 minutes to an hour, maybe.

This is what I've been doing- sand the OD of the crystal retaining ring or the ID of the bezel, or both. I've done this on the aftermarket 16610 bezel assemblies also. I use a 320 or 400 grit sandpaper (wet/dry) and do it by hand- nice and slow w/ some test fitting along the way. It usually doesn't take too long- 30 minutes to an hour, maybe.

I do this too, but I spin it using a drill, takes 5 minutes :) I've done a few by hand, and this way is better!

I do this too, but I spin it using a drill, takes 5 minutes :) I've done a few by hand, and this way is better!

Absolutely better.   Takes a 60 minute job and turns it into a <5 minute job when you mount it on the dremel or a drill.  

Plus it has the added bonus of staying round this way, instead of guesstimating when you're doing it by hand

Edited by tr573

That's not the problem. I have purchased two of the Clark sets and in both of them the washer is just a tad small to fit over the little rim on the retaining ring. The I. D. of the washer needs to be opened up.

Doc must have bent the retainer or the bezel while trying to force it on with the washer up over the rim of the retainer. Neither of these parts are overly robust and one must be careful with them. If it takes too much force to seat the retainer a modification either needs to be made to the inside of the retainer or to the outside of the crystal or you will break something. If the bezel is deformed any more than the thickness of the washer it will not work. The tolerance is very small.

Edited by preacher62

In defense of Clark/ST aftmkt bezels...

Genuine 1675/1680/5513 crystal retaining rings and rotating bezels are also easy to bend and any mistake, misfit, or misdeed that will bend aftmkt bezels will probably bend genuine parts too.

Because of close tolerances and the snap on design, they are not overly rugged to begin with.

From experience...

More retaining rings and bezels are damaged by removal than installation.

If your retainer is till true, will seat the crystal properly, then check and see if the mounted bezel is touching the case. That's what was stopping my bezel from turning, it was stuck on the top of the case itself. I sanded the bottom of the bezel, a little at a time, and it started to turn. When it would turn freely, not loosely, I stopped. The washer made it lock up, so I just left that off. As mine is now I apply slight downward pressure on the bezel and turn it either way to set.