When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

US Marines watch arrived

mastergod

Hi all,

here are some US Marine (off the bay) iphone shots and first impressions.

post-2870-0-73892400-1372671336_thumb.jp

post-2870-0-41526500-1372671389_thumb.jp

First of all, the bezel is non-click and I mean really non-click, as if it's broken. I am able to lift it 1-2 mililimeters with my fingernails (it is held down by the (in lack of a proper term) weird lug thingies.

Apart from that, it seems pretty good. 

The caseback used to have Tudor 7200 engraved. Also, a watchsmith has written GE04/07 and perhaps14217XXX next to it (by hand, over 7200), and 10/06 under 7200. Somehow, the caseback seems very substantial.

post-2870-0-38074300-1372671363_thumb.jp

Bracelet - I don't know. Definitely incorrect for this watch, but uncertain wether or not its gen, probably not (?)

Will take more pics later:-)

mg

Edited by mastergod

Whether or not to be true to the original design of a fantasy watch is an interesting dilemma in which a large array of considerations and motivations come into play...

My first plan is to sing my own tune by deciding a US Marine Rolex turned into a Rolex Commando.

Then, having collected the right parts, probably go "gen Tudor fantasy"

But you know what they say about ugly ducklings. Some become swans, other just remain ugly. With watches, IMHO this translates to the feeling you get when you put it on or take it off, whether it "connects".

So if after that it still gets no wrist time, it will be traded off and loved by an RWG or HF fellow enthusiast :-)

post-2870-0-81203400-1372710016_thumb.jp

mg

Edited by mastergod

That is a tank, for sure. Kinda like the Tudor Ranger on steroids! In terms of the band, it's a fantasy watch so there is no such thing as the "correct" bracelet. The one that is on it looks fine. A black bezel would be cool too. Is there an insert in that or is the bezel one piece? Looks like one piece.

That is a tank, for sure. Kinda like the Tudor Ranger on steroids! In terms of the band, it's a fantasy watch so there is no such thing as the "correct" bracelet. The one that is on it looks fine. A black bezel would be cool too. Is there an insert in that or is the bezel one piece? Looks like one piece.

AFAIK it's one piece. I guess the whole piece could be blackened provided sufficient grail-motivation was present :-)

Naw, needs the sport hands. Either the classic Mercedes or the 5514 arrows or the fat tudor arrow hands. The DJ stick hands just don't quite make it. I like the idea of an explorer-esq dial. But then that is my favorite Rolex dial overall.

• Like 1

Naw, needs the sport hands. Either the classic Mercedes or the 5514 arrows or the fat tudor arrow hands. The DJ stick hands just don't quite make it. I like the idea of an explorer-esq dial. But then that is my favorite Rolex dial overall.

post-2870-0-86133900-1372938365_thumb.pn

• Like 1