When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SD PreV dial interest

steph_dexter

The wait is over! Finally thawing out from the snowstorm the postman arrived today. Unpacked and shot some quick pics before starting to change out the dial. Great work Steven! Thanks for hanging in there and producing a great looking dial!

20140214_110743-1_zpsf5bfe868.jpg

20140214_110632_zpsd7b8e013.jpg

20140214_110706_zps0bd8168f.jpg

I will post more up after I get her in the case.

The wait is over! Finally thawing out from the snowstorm the postman arrived today. Unpacked and shot some quick pics before starting to change out the dial. Great work Steven! Thanks for hanging in there and producing a great looking dial!

the indices look very good~!

however, is there some smudging and quality issues on the text and the logo? It looks smudged but maybe that was snow that fell on it? Especially the P and the A of "Panerai" it's noticeable.

Yep the printer did SD no favors. The center of the p and o have ink bled into them. The original test dials had serifs also. As I understand it the guy doing the pad printing ruined an entire run. It is a pity that w hith all the work that Steven put in that they would make a mess of the cherry on top.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I am out. No comms, no updates, no proper photos of the offered product... Too much hassle for what it is, I know the guy tried to do his best but it seems like he is not up for the task and for 100$+ I'd rather wait for someone a bit more professional/capable of managing it to come along...

I'll give SD the benefit of the doubt here because he's the one doing the work and not me. But I see your point. The lack of comms and updates on this thread are a little strange. This thread and project in general had a lot of excitement until his pad printer crapped the bed. I still look forward to my dials. I've got an amazing grail Southy with some imperfection in the print, so I'm not scared of that. I build watches for personal enjoyment on the wrist more than under the loupe.

Edited by Grimlocktime

maybe you all remmeber what i said   ???

only a dial maker with oem swiss certificate can produce in the oem style and quality, also for the print.

this pad printing profession is a hard trainee profession and our has his master certificate.

and for our dials we have an engineer for all this dial work and long time employees with  skills and experiences.

this is not a sooo beside work.

top products need top maker.

also for the vector graphic,

the print clichee brings tolerances and the final print brings tolerances, and always important to use is swiss berlac AG paint for dial print.

it has the special viscosity and consistence and it is only made for the dial print.

no other paint can printed so exact. and the tolerances, you have to regulate it in the vector graphic before you start.

and also here only a professional graphic designer for technical design can make it perfect.

all other doings and persons are tinker  and only bad hobby.

regards

rolli

I am out. No comms, no updates, no proper photos of the offered product... Too much hassle for what it is, I know the guy tried to do his best but it seems like he is not up for the task and for 100$+ I'd rather wait for someone a bit more professional/capable of managing it to come along...

did forget to mention.

note:  high end oem dials must be the clichee made of stainless steel or made of glass, and the lettering recess will be made with deep etching.

the letter / lettering edges are professional straight and accurate.

but for the standard print for promotional products or  standard industry prints, the pad printers use a plastic cliche,

but this is not usable for precision oem dials. 

and to know is, a stainless steel or glass clichee costs minmum € 120 - 150,--

regards

rolli

• 2 weeks later...

After 180 days including 40 days for delivery, my dials finally arrived.

BE327FC6-8FEE-4CEA-BB62-55EBBC0E7ED2-114

Deep indices, Varnish fill, great lume color (yes they are lumed)

2018C1DD-1BC8-4868-9C60-F8DAA439FABF-114

201/A: this one caused every one to cancel their orders... Your loss. I think it looks great. The font is not as crisp as gen and there is only a hint of serif, but this isn't a gen. I'll proudly wear this Logo dial

EC836DF0-597D-4280-BA3C-982B8AE06859-114

202/A Non-matching: very faint lume due to the paint used to produce the non matching color.... the semi gloss finish on this one is probably the best of the set. Not sure if this will replace my Southy, but it will make some one very happy, no doubt.

82D9EC9F-25F6-40C3-9BB2-CF353869DB13-114

203/A: this one was a special request. And I must say, it is nearly perfect. Font is crisp with nice serifs, lume is perfect, number shape is perfect. Wow! Thanks SD for the amazing dials!

95B25FB9-64B5-4E6D-8DC4-01F6FCF20BAA-114

72A0272E-73CD-406A-BD43-659ACD29167F-114

Edited by Grimlocktime

Some pics of my 202a non-matching dial, some variation to what posted from Grimlocktime especially regarding lume application:

55j3.jpg

83rl.jpg

jxzw.jpg

FGD left, SD middle, Fitch on right:

582o.jpg

yhzr.jpg

63fh.jpg

Flash on, general apologies re pic quality - hope they at least tell something about these dials :)

zzq9.jpg

Markie, mine came in yellow with no lume...the resin is open on the back. I've been thinking of loading the back with super lume.