When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

45mm Pumpkin purchase, which one?

fraggle42

Hi all,

After getting my 42mm cheapie pumpkin I've fallen in love with it and decided to get a decent version of it's 45mm bigger brother.

Having a look around I see that there seem to be two versions.

One version has small square lume markers at 12/3/6/9, "Seamaster" is in red (orange) writing and the hour and minute hands are fatter (and uglier).

The other version has semi-triangular lume markers at 12/3/6/8, "Seamaster" is in white, and the hour and minute hands are slimmer and better proportioned.

So I had a look at pictures of gens and they match the second one (semi-triangular markers).

But the first one (seems to be the ceramic version) seems to be the "latest" model?

Are they both correct and copying slightly different versions of gen Omega POs?

I must say that the fat, ugly hands just scream "cheap" to me, as do the "not quite right" square markers, so either way I'm going with the second version :)

Puretime has it for $238 with an Asian 2824, or $388 with a Selita SW200. Andrew has it for $318 with an ETA 2824-2, everything else seems to be identical.

Does the Selita movement come assembled in a proper factory? I.e. it will not need sending off for servicing immediately? I know the chances of the ETA being NOS and being nice and clean and lubed will be slim, so I'm tempted to go for the Selita SW200.

Any advice or feedback on the Selita movement appreciated!

I've been looking into this myself and decided to wait a month or two for the noob version. See how that turns out. I'm not too fond of the ceramic myself, even after the improvements (liquid metal and AR coating).

Selitta is a copy of ETA as far as I can remember, so not worth the hike in price.

If your after the CrPo then I'd wait for the Noob versions to come out, it's what I'm doing atm. The older PO or UPO in 45mm size has been reviewed to death on here and tends to be the same version at most of the dealers, just ask Andrew or Angus I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction mate  :)

As for the movements I'm not sure on the SW200 but remember hearing good things about it, Eta movements as you know are a lottery with the dealers too, I'd factor in a service on either at some stage tbh  ;)

If you plan on getting the uPO be aware of that the crown and tube will strip and you'll have to replace them with a new crown from your TD.

I've changed crown and tube twice and I haven't used my uPO for years since the crown stripped.

So my advice is to buy genuine crown and tube.

Already got two gen tube & crown sets sitting here waiting :)

I've emailed all the dealers and only Angus has them in stock, but on leather strap with Asian movement. Definitely want bracelet.

So I've asked some more dealers and Mary & Rochest have come up trumps again :)

It's an Asian movement, but I've decided to build my own with a serviced movement, some gen bits, and a SMP bracelet (as I like them a lot better), so the UPO I've ordered of WI will do (after putting a get tube & crown in) until I find all the bits I want for my own build.

I've also asked Mike about the Selita movements and they are properly assembled and properly oiled in all the ones he's seen, so the extra cost is worth it as it saves the cost of a full movement service.