When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling Yellow Seawolf Avenger w/Panatime Strap (Pics)

Ricardo L

I recently purchased this watch from Andrew .. here is a link to his page

http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16_137&products_id=9744

Its the V2 version of the avenger, with a swiss 2836-2 movement, and it comes with a SS bracelet.

There have been some really great reviews written of this watch lately, so I dont think i'll be breaking new ground, but rather adding to the choir.

This is my favorite rep at the moment in my collection (a few pams, a few rollies, and this beauty). -- the dial nailed so many details just right, the raised bretling logo, the numbers appear right on for me, and the crown. - this rep has very few flaws.

The mix of polished and brushed details on the case / bezel / face / hands is one of my favorite features, i keep on looking at the watch and turning my wrist to make it sparkle, the super thick crystal is also fun to watch and an angle, some reviews has poo-pooed the AR on the crystal, (i can't compare to the gen AR), but i am quite fond of the AR on the rep (again no experience with the gen from an AR perspective).

The good

- the color is spot on, same  awesome yellow as the gen

- bezel clicks cleanly and rotates smoothly, aligned well with the dial.

- the weight. -- feels as beefy as the gen, there is no mistaken that you have a solid watch on when you wear this beast.

- the bracelet (minus the clasp) its feels great, no cheap tin feel, smooth.

- my version was waterproof from the factory, tested to 3 bar at the local watch repair shot, others have tested higher, i chose to only do 3 bars.

- lume - when charged the lume is nice and bright and nicely applied, but since its rep lume it doesn't last very long.

The flaws:

This rep has very few flaws, and most of them you would only really notice if you set the gen next to the rep.

- Bracelet clasp, the bracelet itself is smooth, heavy, and a really great bracelet. Until you get to the clasp, it barely latches on securely, and has the feel of very cheap tin. -- not a huge deal since its not a noticeable tell, and i love to swap out bracelets on my watches.

- The bezel numbers, on the gen the bezel numbers are crisper, sharper. on the rep they are a bit soft on the angles. its not noticeable on its own, but when you put the gen next to the rep, its obviious that there is a difference.

- The hash markers on the rehaut (is that the correct term) do not extend far enough, in the gen, the hash markers marked from 1 to 100 reach almost to the dial, on the rep there is more space between the dial and the hash marks.

The Meh .. 

- the bezel came with some dirt in the bezel numbers, i haven't tried to clean it, my guess is that some elbow grease and a toothbrush should clean that up, but in the long run i dont mind having a dirty bezel.

- movement is running about +15 sec / day or something close to that .. thats a little too off for my taste, so i'm pretty sure this guy is going to find its way over to MD2020 for a service sometimes soon to see how well he can regulate the swish 2836 (and a report on whether its really swiss or just part swiss, or not swiss at all)

About the panatime strap:

For my tastes the SS bracelet combo was way too heavy, and i wanted somethign that would contrast with the yellow dial, so i found this strap at panatime .. (i wanted to wear the watch without fear that it would come undone while swimmer in the ocean).

http://www.panatime.com/22pubayestwa.html

Its a black waterproof synthetic strap (waterproof), with yellow stitching .. -- my wife's first impression when i showed her the watch and the strap separately, was wow, why would you ruin a $4000 watch with a $10 strap... not the response i was after .. but after i installed the strap on the watch, she said it didn't look bad.. (a slight improvement).

The good thing is that i like it, when you get this strap wet, it dries fairly fast, and it is more comfortable to wear wet, than the SS bracelet. (or in hot/humid weather).

Photos submitted for you own judgement. -- I love this watch, and i suspect i'll be wearing it alot in the future.

post-8361-0-81551300-1373007446_thumb.jp

post-8361-0-28203000-1373007451_thumb.jp

post-8361-0-64820600-1373007455_thumb.jp

post-8361-0-31755100-1373007458_thumb.jp

post-8361-0-34762300-1373007463_thumb.jp

Edited by Ricardo L
  • Like 2

Very through and informative review there!

The watch looks fantastic on the Panatime strap, I love how the yellow of the stitching matches-up so well with the yellow of the dial.

I agree with each point you've made although a few things you pointed out that I hadn't even noticed!

You've taken some great pictures of the watch-strap combo. Wear the watch well mate.

Thanks Ricardo for sharing these great pics and your comments/review of the watch! It seems we have the same minds, I can confirm 1:1 your thoughts about the yellow wolf - I was just too busy (or lazy...?) to do it by myself... Your review is very accurate, very well done!

Your strap with the yellow stitching is the perfect match for this watch! Good choice, really liking it!

Enjoy your Seawolf and wear it well mate!

Was sitting around having lunch at a fancy restaurants with my fancy restaurant buddies last week, 3 out of the 4 of us there are watch nuts .. though i'm the only one that collects reps, my two other buddies are happy with the gens.. so i handed the seawolf to my buddy who has a gen breitling and asked him what he though tof it.

finally he said, "glad you finally bought a gen." -- 

of course i told him it was a $400 rep of a $4000 gen .. -- he was impressed with the replica market. 

lunch was pretty good too .. 

Was sitting around having lunch at a fancy restaurants with my fancy restaurant buddies last week, 3 out of the 4 of us there are watch nuts .. though i'm the only one that collects reps, my two other buddies are happy with the gens.. so i handed the seawolf to my buddy who has a gen breitling and asked him what he though tof it.

finally he said, "glad you finally bought a gen." --

of course i told him it was a $400 rep of a $4000 gen .. -- he was impressed with the replica market.

lunch was pretty good too ..

Haha! Just goes to show the quality of these super-reps. They can occasionally fool even watch nuts who also happen to be gen Brietling owners. I think with modern technology and the increasing demands on quality from customers like us, the gap between gens and reps is slowly decreasing and decreasing. There will come a point where the exterior of the watch in nigh-on indistinguishable from the gen to the naked eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Ricardo, how have you found the Panatime strap to be regarding comfort and durability in the time you've been wearing it?

I am considering swapping out the SS bracelet just like yourself and thought I'd get your latest thoughts on the rubber strap.

this strap has worked out great in my trip to hawaii .. i've worn it several days swimming , snorkeling, or just hanging out by the pool ..  the strap dries fast, easy to clean even when you get sunblock on it. -- its comfortable when its hot, -- i dont have anything bad to say about the strap .. 

• Like 1