When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Upgrade to Gen Crown/Tube

ceocorona

Just a vague question. Is there a ton of added value when upgrading to gen crowns? My two TC subs and BK YM all have gen crowns but I wonder sometimes if its worth the added cost.

How about those 18k gold crowns, rep vs gen? Anyone with some insight and comparisons?

Accuracy and durability. Most often the rep Rolex crown's coronet is just wrong. The question then becomes 'Who will see it?' The tube is a part that is used often. Setting, winding, etc., puts wear on the part. A quality tube is less likely to strip it's threads than a rep tube. 

In vintage applications it can be a different issue, that being money. I wanted the 6mm Brevet '+' crown for my 6542 and 6204. $200+ doesn't work for me when the only ones to see it are me and you guys if I take pics. The only one to get close enough to see it is not interested in my watch, she has other things on her mind.  So I went with the rep, modified it some, and saved $180. 

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/140709-6mm-brevet-crown/?hl=%2B6mm+%2Bbrevet#entry1046879

Like most everything in this hobby it is a very individual choice. What do you like, what do you care about, and what, if anything, doesn't matter much.   

When you use a genuine crown, you will immediately notice the difference. The crown screws down better, smoother, usually more turns and everything is more crisp. As joey said, the crowns are accurate!! Heck they are gen. but they are also more robust. Gen crowns wear out too, just like everything else. That's why Rolex changes out the crown/tube when they service a watch. Haven't had one sent to a RSC for years, but a few years back, the watch service consisted of a movement clean and oil, new gaskets and seals, new crystal and crown/tube and pressure test. All of these are parts that are subject to failure with age and use, and all are parts that if not correct will compromise the water resistant integrity of the watch.

Unfortunately, as automatic stated, the parts supply is drying up. Rolex wants it that way. If used  parts can only be sourced  from a watchmaker with a parts account or a Rolex service center, then you are pretty much out of luck. The independents are all afraid, because Rolex has been so Draconian in enforcing their parts policy. ALL parts have got to be sent back to Rolex when they are replaced with new parts. If you are a watchmaker, and your clientele base is primarily made up of Rolex owners, losing your parts account can be devastating, no parts, no repairs, simple as that.

With the newer models some of the crowns look good but when it comes to the vintage pieces its a must. I have a gen gold crown here in the shop if you want a pic of it.

Yeah, because the pictures I am seeing on the bay or trf aren't flattering. 

So bassically go gen if money permits.  Like I said I have no experience with rep crown/tubs since my watches all have gen peices.  Maybe I am taking that for granted, lol.  I know I've read in a few threads that the 18k gen crowns tend to be much better in overall look and feel to their rep counterparts. 

Now would you say a used gen crown/tube combo vs new crown/new aftermarket tube (clark/WSO)?  Both are priced within 10% of each other. 

For most reps, TC tube is actually a better choice (particularly the BP case, sorry I haven't had a chance to respond to your PM). The TC tube is flat, so no countersinking is required. A gen or gen-spec tube requires lots of drilling.

No worries!  So a TC tube will take a gen spec 18k gold crown?  If that is the case I'll just order one for the tt build.