When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More vintage datewheel overlays. Silver flat 3's

polexpete

Hi there,

like other members here i too am fed up with the lack of decent overlays for our vintage reps using ETA movements so i found a printer who is helping me (and you lot) find datewheel nirvana

This is a sample i picked up today from my printer . Too my surprise instead of printing the numbers on top of the disc he has etched out the numbers then filled with black paint which gives them a much sharper appearance.

They are thin metal like the ones on cartel reps

I will put the whole watch together later and post pics so you get an idea of what it looks like under the cyclops.

Please give feedback, its important as these are not cheap to produce and i will have to outlay a lot if i go ahead and print a batch so need to know i can recoup my investment.

Here are some pics ..

post-3074-0-88899700-1373443818_thumb.jp

post-3074-0-61608200-1373443858_thumb.jp

post-3074-0-89558500-1373443968_thumb.jp

Cheers

P.

Hi guys,

Thanks for your interest. I still have to iron out a few minor issues but should be available at the end of the month. Looking at around 25usd each.

I will keep you posted and the more feedback the better so keep 'em coming

Cheers

P.

Looks great Pete. If these will fix the DW alignment problem with my 1680, Sign me up for one. Even after putting on a gen dial, my 1680 Dw still is a little too left justified. When the date is on 10, you have to look  at the Date window at and angle to see the one, straight on, it looks like a big 0 right in the middle of the Date window.

Count me in as well.  This is the best yet.

Observation:  Most people are hung-up on silver, even though Rolex RSC often replaced them with white.  So far every attempt to duplicate "silver" ends up being a "bigger tell" because it is so hard to match the exact silver and brushing.   The silver usually ends up too dark.  Rolex Silver Datewheels actually look more "White/Bright" under bright lights or from a distance IMO.  Just my .02.

Edit to add, especially under the high magnification of something like a 1680

Count me in as well.  This is the best yet.

Observation:  Most people are hung-up on silver, even though Rolex RSC often replaced them with white.  So far every attempt to duplicate "silver" ends up being a "bigger tell" because it is so hard to match the exact silver and brushing.   The silver usually ends up too dark.  Rolex Silver Datewheels actually look more "White/Bright" under bright lights or from a distance IMO.  Just my .02.

Edit to add, especially under the high magnification of something like a 1680

Thanks for the support guys.

Ronin, i actually wanted him to do them in white but because he uses thin metal sheet we were worried that the white on top might make them too thick to clear the dial. He couldn't source any material thin enough this time but the next batch i will try white. Now i have the mold done skies the limit.

Some of the numbers are slightly off on this sample so i didn't put my 1675 together but i will go to see the printer today to get them lined up perfectly. Watch this space  :)

Cheers

P.

Possible to have a roulette one as well, Pete?

Great work btw! :)

Sent from my SHV-E250S using Tapatalk 2

Thanks mate. Problem with roulette is the low demand and high price to produce but i'm also looking to do white in the future and the nature of these with the etched numbers means you can probably make one by carefully applying red to the alternative numbers

Cheers

P.

wow...I'll take two...where is the order thread?? ;)

Thanks guys,

still in the prototype stage, i gotta get them exact before they get made in serious numbers. Looking now at getting them dome in white like the service replacements cos replicating the brushed silver is seriously hard to get right.

Hope to have by end of July

Cheers

Peter

Guest tomas415

Ronin is right here!

Its very hard to rep the silver dateweel, i have never seen a good rep one ever made, there always to darn dark!

Here is ZK one from 1977. It has a silver date weel but its hard to see, like Ronin said almost white!

7DC2C886-5074-4CAB-A936-4E042F69B707-152

Funny thing.  In all the years of Rolex anti-counterfeiting techniques of stickers and rehaut engravings...The ONE thing that they abandoned-> Silver Brushed DW's seem to be the toughest thing to replicate.

Silver under bright light

iIagrU31L20b9.jpg

iWlJlKm4xkRbM.jpg

Even somewhat shaded

i7J3AiWvQqhEC.jpg