When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rep cases on eBay

jerkstore

I've been following some recent eBay auctions for various cases. Right now, there's a 5513 and a 1680 listed:

http://bit.ly/18gHA1B

http://bit.ly/18Yp1C9

http://bit.ly/18Yp5BF

Associated case parts, too. A few others are already auctioned off (another 5513, a 1675 etc).

Apparently, the VRFers think these are all (high quality) fakes:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/message/1373815950/All+Fakes-

What do you think? If they are in fact replicas, any idea where these parts are being sourced? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

I'd have to go along with the VFR guys since they do study these watches more than I do.

I've never heard of some one over in Europe making high quality fakes, but it is possible.

What we see is the stuff coming out of Vietnam, Thailand, China, and Taiwan.

1st Rule of eBay - Do not buy from or sell to Italy (unless you live in Italy).

Edit to add:  The VRF post was something else.  Besides the fact VRF is stuck on Forum Software from 1995, reading that was painful.  I love how VRF can't talk "too much" about the tells, or what makes something fake.  The quote from JP "If I said too much let me know" cracked me up.  Sigh...

This guy is pretty cagy too. Notice his disclaimer

I'm not professional watch dealer, but just only an enthusiast watch collector, so I sell the items "as is", I refund only if the items are different from the pictures, please feel free to ask me any questions or more pics.

Generally when you buy something that is sold as "original" that would mean it's genuine, and it is returnable if it proves not to be the real thing.

There are so many scammers and con artists on eBay, I would not be inclined to buy any Rolex stuff unless I really trusted the seller.

This one isn't one of them!!!

• Like 1

Good points panerai! Pretty much an admission of guilt on the part of the seller.

I like this line- it's definitely a 'look out' line

"I bought a large inventory of watch staffs from a retired watch maker, specialized in premium watch brand and vintage watches"

The great thing about retired watchmakers is either they're dead or you can't find them- chances are they never existed!

Good points panerai! Pretty much an admission of guilt on the part of the seller.

I like this line- it's definitely a 'look out' line

"I bought a large inventory of watch staffs from a retired watch maker, specialized in premium watch brand and vintage watches"

The great thing about retired watchmakers is either they're dead or you can't find them- chances are they never existed!

You are so right!!! Any "retired" watchmaker that was dealing in high end watches, knows what he has and what it's worth.He would be selling parts on VFR Marketplace, or some other watch forum.Also, I feel sure the vintage Rolex guys who have been in this game a long time know every watchmaker, retired, semiretired or working, who has/had a Rolex parts account, and those guys have long ago worked out deals to buy up surplus parts if and when they become available.

Years ago, I collected vintage fountain pens. I was traveling a lot, and I went to every antique shop, flea market, in a three state area. I found a few really nice pens,but most were junk.Almost every one of the dealers told me that they had "a guy" who came around every couple of months and picked up all the pens the dealer had, paid cash, and took pretty much everything except broken throwaway pens,etc. The dealers weren't going to sell to me, because I would "cherry pick" the lot and only take the ones I was interested in. His guy took everything,every time. I'm pretty sure similar situations exist in the vintage watch world as well. This guy is scamming, and probably running the bids up with shill bidders.