When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Online Dating -- How are you doing?

chango

Okay.  For a lot of different reasons, I entered the unpredictable world of online dating about four months ago.  And all I can say is, I am DONE.  I work with a couple of guys that have had success with the thing but I have had nothing but strange and a little bit downright scary experiences.  So.  Back to the old fashioned way of meeting unreceptive women for me thank you very much. 

Anyone with experience in this area?  I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

Me too, I met my second wife through a dating website. I think there is something in them.Here in the UK there are a lot of 30-40 year old's who because of Careers simply didn't meet the right person through their 20's. There are a lot of guys like me in their 40's and divorced who to be honest couldn't face the idea of standing in a bar every Friday night, trying to chat up a 28 year old stunner, maybe get lucky and have a night of hot sex. Then after a couple of weeks realise that you are decades apart in terms of attitude toward things in life and in reality she still wants to go clubbing with her mates while you'd prefer to go to a country pub. I think the best advise i can give is, you will meet some complete fruit cakes, but persist Rome wasn't build in a day.

And if you've been 100% honest about your profile(come on now we all tell porky pies) then at some stage you will meet someone on the same wave length as you and maybe even find Love. Funnily enough its my first Wedding Anniversary tomorrow!

Keep your chin up

Cheers DH

Congrats denim!

You're very right, if you haven't found the right one in your 20ies it's not that easy... I'm also thinking about online dating service for 1 year, but didn't do it yet. When reading your post... maybe worth a try?

Btw, I'm in an on/off-partnership and I know that's not that what I really want...

Congrats mate.

Does being honest means one doesn't wear their rep on a first date?

LOL

Married 11years, -met wifey online. Worked out great for us. Busy professionals have difficulty making time to socialize.

You need to spend time trying the online sites. IIRC You need to adjust your ads quickly and often to learn what works and what doesn't. You need to learn that women always lie about their weight and men about their height. Always translate their ads for fun; like, Average weight SWF in search of loyal soul mate means, -overweigh,t overbearing, needy gal. ;)

Awesome to here the success stories!  I guess it's just a numbers game.  Here I thought it would streamline the process but it's actually as time consuming.  I work two jobs and have my son when I'm not working so my freetime is almost nil.  I turned to online stuff to avoid having to actually leave home and put myself out there.  But I actually met a couple of women that are surprisingly high quality.  We'll see how it goes.  There's just so much weirdness that I'm almost ready to run for my life. 

Well...I tried online dating back in 1999 and had a lot of weired dates but some hot ones too so the experience wasn't bad at all ;)

But...I met my real love by the time I was ready to live my life all on my own...one day at a friends birthday fest...bang...there she was and still is...we're married since 10 years and have 3 kids, maybe a fourth one next year :)

What I'd like to say is...if you're not "in peace" with yourself you'll never met the "right one" no matter if you try online dating, speed dating, whatever dating...you can have some fun, even some nice time but that's it...just my 2 cents ;)

030519a3-71e9-4671-951f-3f5fbcceaf7b.jpg

I will be married four years in September, complements of eHarmony.  We rarely have a bad day.  Just take your time and have realistic expectations (don't settle and don't expect the first one to be the "one").  It does work :)

Edited by Martyd3
  • Like 3

030519a3-71e9-4671-951f-3f5fbcceaf7b.jpg

I will be married four years in September, complements of eHarmony.  We rarely have a bad day.  Just take your time and have realistic expectations (don't settle and don't expect the first one to be the "one").  It does work :)

Good catch. Good advice. What watch is she wearing?

• 2 weeks later...

...but I have had nothing but strange and a little bit downright scary experiences...

How is this any different than meeting someone the normal way?

(Full disclosure: I tried both methods and, while I met my wife the "traditional" way, I'd still say that the majority of the most normal relationships I was in were via the digital method.)

I think that, if anything, the online method is more conducive to a productive relationship because you know a lot more about the person before you actually meet them and the people who are on those sites are more interested in a relationship than a quick fling.  (How many times have you been dating and either you or the other person had a different idea of how serious the relationship was supposed to be?)

You want weird, try Craigslist.  Just don't get murdered.

I didn't have a lot of luck with internet dating. I got plenty of dates but nothing of quality or a match for me.

Found out so many of the ladies in the age group I dated were not very honest people. (35 to 45)

Terms like "average" means fat. "curvy" means obese. "independent" means must be in control.

"thin" means average to fat. "no baggage" means baggage...a lot of it... and finally "a few extra lbs" means you need a flatbed truck to move her.

I also realized at some point that the attractive ones are seriously outnumbered with 100's of guys giving them attention..and that's why they are there, just for the extra attention.

I get a whole lot less rejection in real life. Actually it's a rare thing for me in real life, like it is for most guys. Internet dating is really not for me.  :partytime:

My thoughts exactly woof. I'm in the same category. Whenever a woman starts off with "I'm the kind of person that..." She's usually the exact opposite. And I do get the feeling that a lot of the women are on the site to see how much attention they can get and from what kinds of men. Online dating is way different than meeting people in person because I feel that women are more likely to act differently online than face to face.

Hiwever, i have managed to meet a couple of cool people though. I'm dating one woman now i met online She has a really busy life like me so its slow going.