When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Online Dating -- How are you doing?

chango

Guest blackhorn leather

This forum reminds me when I was in college, I have lots friends who like to chat in mIRC (at the back time), my friends brought their dictionaries for having chat or date on line for English was not our mother language... and after we graduated (it has been 13 years ago) I found them got married with the guys from other countries.... hahaha.... what a lucky group of girls....  :clap2:

What sort of profile one should have for online dating?

1. Pictures should be plentiful and high-quality.  (just like the pictures you would post of a watch you were selling)  Bad pictures and people assume you're ugly and are trying to hide it.

2. The posting should not contain cliches.  (Everyone's "laid-back and likes to hang out")  It tells women you're not taking this seriously enough, which implies to them you don't take them seriously.

3. The posting should not contain negative things, even in jest.  ("I really hate it when...")  It gives a negative vibe to your posting which people pick up and they'll assume you're a complainer.

4. Funny is good, but be careful because a lot of humor translates very poorly online.  Give it to someone else to read first to make sure they "get it".

5. Remember that being honest is not the same thing as full disclosure. 

Met my wife on Eharmony! Awesome experience Chango! So don't give up! Like Gran said do the research put in the work and you'll find that match. Just remember you can only attract what you are so be the right person to meet. I've tried a few different dating sites in the past and I feel eharmony is the best in terms of digging deep to the core of who you are and what you desire..I couldn't ask for a better match then my wife. she's from the other side of the world but yet we have SOOOO much in common its weird...best wishes to you all!

Will be five years married next February, but together nine years now, and met online (social networking site, not dating site) Met some fantastic people (both friends and otherwise) online over the years, it's all just a case of being honest about what you're looking for and going with the flow :good::drinks:

030519a3-71e9-4671-951f-3f5fbcceaf7b.jpg

I will be married four years in September, complements of eHarmony.  We rarely have a bad day.  Just take your time and have realistic expectations (don't settle and don't expect the first one to be the "one").  It does work :)

Marty congrats on the anniversary....you guys look great!  Did you put "watch-a-holic" in the "hobbies" section of eHarmony before meeting your wife?  

:partytime:

Are we going to see you on an eHarmony TV commercial anytime soon?

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats gran!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Its a proven fact watch guys get hotties.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! Yes it sure is true..our watches are genuine pussy magnets!!

• 4 weeks later...

------------------------------------------------------------------

NO way!! I am going to be alone til I die!

Have no interest in sharing my life with anyone! I just can`t get why it is important?

No kids no wife no girlfriend = bliss ♥

Okay.  For a lot of different reasons, I entered the unpredictable world of online dating about four months ago.  And all I can say is, I am DONE.  I work with a couple of guys that have had success with the thing but I have had nothing but strange and a little bit downright scary experiences.  So.  Back to the old fashioned way of meeting unreceptive women for me thank you very much. 

Anyone with experience in this area?  I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

I guess its different strokes for different folks with regards to online dating. 

I met my wife through an online dating site, and it was an interesting episode of my life. A bit like speed dating where you cycle through several dates before settling in on one that makes you feel comfortable.I guess I was lucky. 

Met my wife on Eharmony!

I tried that site ... good that it worked for you, but my experience there was horrible.

Every 'match' they came up with for me (and I was in a major metropolitan area) was unattractive, would not have been able to be taken out in my social circles, was mentally 'broken' by past relationships, and/or had a personality totally incompatible with mine. I gave up when my last date looked nothing like her pictures, had undergone gastric bypass to lose nearly 200lbs and lived with her parents (in her mid 30's) in a trailer park. None of which was disclosed to me prior to me arriving (and I had to travel to another city) to pick her up (naturally) ... ;) In my case their algorithms completely failed.

I tried that site ... good that it worked for you, but my experience there was horrible.

Every 'match' they came up with for me (and I was in a major metropolitan area) was unattractive, would not have been able to be taken out in my social circles, was mentally 'broken' by past relationships, and/or had a personality totally incompatible with mine. I gave up when my last date looked nothing like her pictures, had undergone gastric bypass to lose nearly 200lbs and lived with her parents (in her mid 30's) in a trailer park. None of which was disclosed to me prior to me arriving (and I had to travel to another city) to pick her up (naturally) ... ;) In my case their algorithms completely failed.

man, thats sounds horrible.. you made it sound like you had a date with a depressed elephant gal who used to weigh 350lbs. What did she do, try to curl her trunk around you? :D

man, thats sounds horrible.. you made it sound like you had a date with a depressed elephant gal who used to weigh 350lbs. What did she do, try to curl her trunk around you? :D

Well, that's one way to look at it ... :)

We had several good online exchanges and a couple of good phone calls before I decided to make the drive. Long distance relationships are hard enough, but to find out so much about her was hidden from me and/or mis-represented prior to our meeting was the deal breaker. She supposedly had a $50k job and lived in a major city according to her profile and our discussions. Living on the outskirts of town, with parents, in a trailer park, didn't add up. It wasn't just the gastric bypass (I've dated all shapes and sizes).

Well, that's one way to look at it ... :)

We had several good online exchanges and a couple of good phone calls before I decided to make the drive. Long distance relationships are hard enough, but to find out so much about her was hidden from me and/or mis-represented prior to our meeting was the deal breaker. She supposedly had a $50k job and lived in a major city according to her profile and our discussions. Living on the outskirts of town, with parents, in a trailer park, didn't add up. It wasn't just the gastric bypass (I've dated all shapes and sizes).

I was merely jesting Tomhorn and I hope you did not take it to heart. You are right, dates come in all shapes, sizes, idiosyncrasies and background, and online dating websites allow others and us the luxury of showing the sides of us which we want the world to see.

So often, the facade which others present to us to score a good first impression unravels in varying degrees and we get to see the real person within later. The perils of online dating also come with thrills, of which I am familiar with, having found my wife through online dating. 

I humbly apologise for my distasteful comments about the elephant girl earlier M Tomhorn and I wish you all the best in your explorations. :)

No worries ... hence my :) at the end of the first sentence ... :)

While I have no doubt everyone tries to put their best foor forward (myself included) on dating sites (as in real life), with this particular site and all of their claims about finding you "someone you are truly compatible with", all I can say is I was very disappointed.

Either their algorythm is completely off, or some answer of mine to the questionaire must have lead it to matching me with mostly incompatible women.

The only other possibility is that everyone lies so much when they answer the questions that the whole thing is thrown off.

• 3 months later...

Trying out Tinder and Blendr (known as Badoo in Asia)

Had far better success outside of my home city whilst away for work and training, I travel every week. Given up trying to meet ladies online in my own city, bars are still the best place.

Yes Tinder is pretty cool! 

I was fortunate to get married in my 20's to a Japanese Princess from Japan, Our marriage lasted 25 years which is better than most,

still it did break my heart when we divorced 3 years ago, I have not had the gumption to pursue anyone in all that time, but just this year,

my friend and former biz partner from Hawaii visited me, we went out and I met a gorgeous Latina brunette. (no coke on the boobs), and she has

been very loving. I toyed with online dating and while there are many success stories,(my little sis just married an MD she met online),

I also found some nutty broads out there, a couple were in prison, probably for chopping up another online date!

Kind of spooky. By and large, you don't know what you are dealing with unless you are together and looking deeply into her eyes.

If her eyes indicate someone else is driving, then bolt!!!!

• 1 month later...
I tried it for a few months and found it to be a really good experience. I met people who I would typically not meet. I could go on several dates per week and often they were very original, different and creative first dates. 

However, in the run long I was not able to find success dating online. I found that there was often a lack of chemistry - despite having many things in common (having been "matched"). 
For me, when someone asks you out in person, there's already some kind of connection. You chit chat for a bit and when you go on your first date you can recall moments from your first meeting that create conversation. Online dating was like going in cold for me. Despite knowing that you had so many things in common it was your first time meeting and a bit awkward. 

In the end I quit online dating and met my boyfriend (he's pretty awesome) in a Safeway of all places. I guess romance can be found even in the pasta aisle...