When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6238 pre daytona love !

rolojack

It's a mix and match of many watches.... cartel mid case, totally re-engined to fit a DW bezel and match the gen size and details. caseback from Vietnam, Venus mvt, custom made subdial hands in Philippines, gen singer coronet, etc.... Not prfect, but better than the average.

I hate to always be the raincloud that dampens everyone's parade & I know that some prefer a graduated bezel, but the 6238 was produced with a plain steel bezel. Swap the Daytona-style bezel for the correct pre-Daytona, give the case some real-world use (patina) & then you have something special. Here is a gen

rolex6238nero1.jpg

No rules when it comes to vintage rollies freddy. Christies sold one just like this last year. 6238 with 300 gr bezel fitted since new. Original buyers were asking customisations on many chronograph models in the 60's and 70's. It was rather commun. One like mine is actually pictured in the Rolex unauthorized history (that huge grey cover book)

No rules when it comes to vintage rollies freddy. Christies sold one just like this last year. 6238 with 300 gr bezel fitted since new. Original buyers were asking customisations on many chronograph models in the 60's and 70's. It was rather commun. One like mine is actually pictured in the Rolex unauthorized history (that huge grey cover book)

A few were customized, but those are very rare & no where near common. Other than in a couple of books (about rare Rolexes), I have never seen 1 in more than 25 years of collecting.

Superb!  I've got a V72 saved for a future 6238 build.  I'm fond of the silver dial, but I'm starting to see the appeal of the black Chronograph. 

Congrats, rolojack!

(And who in the Philippines made those hands?  Not the guy who refinishes dials, is it?)

Superb!  I've got a V72 saved for a future 6238 build.  I'm fond of the silver dial, but I'm starting to see the appeal of the black Chronograph. 

Congrats, rolojack!

(And who in the Philippines made those hands?  Not the guy who refinishes dials, is it?)

the guy who refinishes hands is rollie near alabang right? I found a watchsmith in Quiapo who did many small jobs for me. Rivet bracelets repairs, remaking small parts, etc.... dirty workshop, but good hands.

A few were customized, but those are very rare & no where near common. Other than in a couple of books (about rare Rolexes), I have never seen 1 in more than 25 years of collecting.

You are totally right : very rare. But hell, if we make our watches it's to dream... I'd rather dream big. :) Plus, I had it for 2 years with the smooth bezel, and it did not get much wrist time. Too flat, too small... Plain. I really re fell in love with it when I saw it with the graduated bezel! When it comes to personal taste, there is no more reasoning. It's a very personal opinion for a very personal watch.

Thanks for your comments !!!

• Like 2

Where did you source the dial? 

It looks terrific! 

Garrett

So I'm thinking that's the cartel dial since you've got the Venus movt- looks very nice.

The 6239 bezel is something I've done, after I saw it on VRF

34407c62-1223-4c0e-9a9b-2c28793d4b03_zps

This is the cartel dial w/ the a7750 and a DW case.

here's the one from VRF:

972887481.jpg

I don't know what the situation is with the DW cases at this point. In the past they were not that good in that they ended up with a bulge at the crown position. These were 6239 cases from 3-4 years ago. The earlier 6239 cases didn't have the bulge. Also, DW is selling a 6238 case these days, but I'm not sure what it looks like- does it have the bulge?

The cases look ok w/ the 6239 bezel, but when you go to the plain 6238 bezel, the proportions just don't look right, IMO.

If you go the DW case route, it may mean a lot of softening of the edges and filing and polishing of the bulge to make it look right.

DW cases are like a moving target- they're always changing- so who knows what you'll get. All you can do is try.