When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

16800 Assembly Question

dbutlerman

Does anybody know how the crystal on a Gen Rolex 16800 attaches to the case?  Does it press in from the back side, or press in from the front?  Is there a gasket like on an Omega?  I assume it doesn't attach with a tension ring like a 1680 :)

Pics would be great.  Not planning on doing anything with mine, just curious as to how to goes together...

Order of installation:

Case

Crystal to gasket

Press the crystal/nylon gasket combo onto case by hand. Should feel it click at least

Press retainer ring around nylon gasket against the case with a crystal press (use M die for this)

Add click spring, then spring washer

Press bezel onto retaining ring assembly

Press insert an ensure it is aligned to markers correctly. Enjoy!

As others have said it uses a retainer ring. Only difference between a 1680 and a 16800 is that they removed the wall from the acrylic crystal and turned it into a gasket for the 16800.

When installing the gasket make sure that the lip fits into the groove in the sidewall of the crystal. Otherwise installation will be tricky.

Key for making sure the "teeth" alignment for the bezel is correct to the 12 marker is to make sure the hole for the click spring on the retaining ring is at the 6 minute marker.

...and just to make sure I understand, you can remove the crystal from the outside of the case, just like a 1680? Remove Bezel Assembly, Retainer ring, and then the gasket and crystal will pop out?

Typically the crystal and gasket will come off with the retainer. To remove the crystal you need to use a plug with a hole for the cyclops. Push the crystal and it will release. Typically a crystal press or a drill press with a plastic insert is needed (this is what I use).