When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster 300m Ceramic Black - A review (finally)

Guest khashayar

Guest khashayar

Pioneer:

Rumors say that they took the blue colour from the crpo and implemented into the SMP-c. Not sure if it's correct or not, but by judging from the pics of the rep from for example Joshua's site, it's not exactly the same blue. Not a huge difference though and maybe I'm wrong, but I believe one will need to actually go out on a limb and actually purchase it and compare with gen.

They are supposed to be waterproof to 30m, but I still wouldn't go swim with it. You can do waterproofing services by sending the watch to some different members here on the forum to be sure.

• Like 1

Guest khashayar

Quick wrist shot from yesterday.

Good example of how the bezel colour varies depending on how light reflects on it.post-52261-0-01664400-1375299056_thumb.j

Edit: can't make it rotate here on the phone. You'll have to tilt your head :)

Edited by khashayar
  • Like 1

Awesome watch Khas Congrats! Now I'm torn between this one and the Bond 50th Anniversary with bullet case back :fool: Any suggestions?????? Sarge? Rolex? Anyone? Which is better Bond or Not?

If it were me mate I'd go for this version, but that's only because I don't like the 007 ltd edition stuff too much  :g: always seems a bit tacky to me, still that's just my 2c mate  :partytime:

Now I need to know if we want this version on the Super Reps list for this year guys, what do we think? 

Caseback is stunning, someone complained it not looking like the gen at all, but judging from pictures of the gen on the internet, they're wrong. Seamaster horse, letters and omega logo is raised in a shiny metal, as per gen.

That was probably me! I posted on the "New Seamaster 300 m PRO" about this earlier. Here is the gen below

ceramic-back.jpg

The waves are made to look like "waves in the sand."  They have a raised profile like this ^ and a coarse blasted texture to them.  I agree completely that yours (and my blue one when it arrives hopefully next week) is stunning though.  If the Noob comes out with a version in a few months or so, I may get that one too lol.  I've had a fascination with the blue SMP since the 2531.80.... so I'm ooing and aahing at this one. I'm wearing my BP 007 now.  I can say that the pearl on mine is quite different... it is more recessed and flat. Yours is rounded on the edges like the gen, and significantly taller than mine.

IMG_5413_zpsc5a01dd0.jpg

IMG_5414_zpsacd52771.jpg

Pioneer:

Rumors say that they took the blue colour from the crpo and implemented into the SMP-c. Not sure if it's correct or not, but by judging from the pics of the rep from for example Joshua's site, it's not exactly the same blue. Not a huge difference though and maybe I'm wrong, but I believe one will need to actually go out on a limb and actually purchase it and compare with gen.

They are supposed to be waterproof to 30m, but I still wouldn't go swim with it. You can do waterproofing services by sending the watch to some different members here on the forum to be sure.

Khashayar,  was your PO from the BP maker?  I've seen some pics of another maker that is too light, almost electric blue.  I was told BP has a PO that they used for 1:1 construction and also would be using it to match the blue on the SMP.  Let's hope it's good :)  

As far as water resistance, I've taken mine apart (007 2892) and the gasket used is very good.  I put a special silicone lubricant for gaskets on it, to be sure there's a good seal.  I've showered with mine a few times. I didn't bother to check the He valve to see if it actually reaches the inside of the case.  I hope it is purely cosmetic and it doesn't.  In the past, others have epoxied the He valve orifice from the inside. Crowns look good quality and solid.  The only thing you can't count on is that the gaskets are "lubed" or that they are in the groove and didn't catch and get pinched when screwed-in.  Sloppy happens!  

IMG_4886.jpg

Edited by madmex

Now I'm torn between this one and the Bond 50th Anniversary with bullet case back :fool: Any suggestions?????? Sarge? Rolex? Anyone? Which is better Bond or Not?

I like khashayar's flat glossy black dial a lot.  I do prefer it to the busier 007 007 007 007 pattern although it is only seen when the light strikes it a certain way as to reflect off the flat black dial as the 007 is painted in raised glossy black. It is somewhat subdued... but it's there if you know to look for it.  I would've gone for the blue but neither the black or the blue were available (and I had no idea they were on the way!). I purchased it because I thought I didn't want to miss out on such a decent rep and it's possibly my 1st BP factory watch.  (not sure who made my awesome Connie)

I do love watching the bullet rotate though.  I think a better 007 would have only had the back bullet and a flat black dial.  The 50 in red is fine too.   

Danza1812, I completely noticed the slightly left alignment of my bezel insert. I want to take it off and align it properly, but the case tolerances are very small and I couldn't get a satisfactory clearance to attempt to remove the bezel.  I've seen some of the Rollie BP pearls have glue smudged under them--so I'm sure it's possible to modify them, albeit VERY carefully with soft wood or plastic tools.   The pearl is very different from my version to k's.  It seems it's a work in progress for them.  I submitted my observation about the caseback to Andrew and he relayed it to the maker but who knows if they'll do it or when (when stocks run low and they go for a second batch so as to not waste parts?).  Fact is the quality is high overall and the watch deserves the extra effort on the caseback.  N will probably get it right in an attempt to compete and show off. 

Guest khashayar

Madmex:

I see what you mean with the waves now.

You're right, they should be more in the background than appearing on the surface so to say. Clearly not a huge problem, but could still be improved. If they fix it in the next batch or if noob releases one, maybe it won't be so hard to order just a separate caseback to fix it if one finds it necessary to.

Regarding the crpo; yes it was from BP. The overall quality was good, but had many minor flaws. As you say the blue wasn't blue "enough", which was a huge giveaway.

I hope they get the blue colour right on your SMP.

Guest khashayar

Also, an additional note regarding the lume; I wouldn't go so far to classify it as super lume, even though it shines really bright for a minute or so, and then fades away quickly.

I remember the crpo lume when I was out one day and came home during the afternoon in a pitch black room, where I remember the lume was still bright enough to see even after 30 minutes.

My minute hand is also bothering me a little bit. The area where the lume "comes on", is inconsistent. The white area on the left side of the minute hand fades out more and more. Best way to explain it would be a very small triangle with the sides of it eventually fades out when reaching the top of it.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. But if anyone knows if it's possible at all to buy the seconds, minute and hour hand (gen), give me a heads up.

Maybe a gen minute hand from the old style smp would work as its green lume? Available from cousins or ofrei.

The hands look similar to the old SMP, but they are actually different in length. 

I would think the best option is to have them relumed if the lume is an issue.

Guest khashayar

The hands look similar to the old SMP, but they are actually different in length.

I would think the best option is to have them relumed if the lume is an issue.

That would probably be a good idea.

I'm not an expert in modding, have any info on how I should do it?

That would probably be a good idea.

I'm not an expert in modding, have any info on how I should do it?

The dial and hands are very delicate.  They should never be touched without finger protection or hard or sharp materials.  Removing the crown stem is also delicate, because you could upset the keyless works and then you have to take the dial and calendar mechanism to fix it.  You should practice with an inexpensive or damaged watch if you don't have experience.  But here are the instructions (At your own risk!)

You would have to look for a lume that has a good proven record from some of the modders or watchmakers here.

Steps:

1. remove winding stem (insert a watchmaker screwdriver that barely fits into the slot for ETA 2824--do not push in with a pin or it can go too far and will upset the keyless works--spring falls out of place)
  2. de-case the movement (remove the screws and then tabs that secure the movement to case)
  3. remove the hands with a good hand remover, MUST PROTECT THE DIAL so that NOTHING comes in contact with it... 
  4. then put the hands in rodico (a type of putty for watchmakers) backside up, and apply luminous material carefully so as to not put too much and make the hand too fat or it will have issues with clearance.
  5. then after it dries, you have to put the crown back in by very gently pressing the same slot on the back to remove stem, while you wiggle the stem in place--this is one of the most challenging parts or you will have to take the dial off.
  6. advance the hours in time-setting position until the date goes to midnight and it changes... stop
  7. put the hands on... careful that they are set gently in place--use a hand setting tool that is made from nylon or another soft material--metal tweezers will leave scratches and marks 
  8. be sure that the hands can cycle around the dial freely with good precise clearance between them (so they don't rub on the dial, or against each other)
  9. remove winding stem again (step1)
  10. put the movement in place... get an air blower to gently blow under the crystal to be sure there isn't dust or lint trapped in the case/glass
  11. put the tabs and screws that hold the movement in the case
  12. put the winding stem back in (VERY VERY careful or you have to remove everything again, including dial and calendar wheel)
  13. lubricate the O-ring gasket with special silicone lubricant for gaskets
  14. close the case--I recommend sticky ball so there's no scratches, or a proper balanced case opener (one slip and you will have NASTY scratches on the caseback)

So all in all I suggest leaving the mods to an experienced watchmaker or someone experienced and meticulous! Timezone has a watchmaking course online as well.

Guest khashayar

An update almost a week later from receiving the watch:

Not much more to add then my review from last week. It keeps time rather good, power reserve is really good, I have never needed to wind it. It has gained 2 minutes during this one week though.

Wouldn't call that very good, but satisfactory nonetheless.

Biggest (and probably the only) downside is the lume. Not very good at all, and stays just for a minute or two, even after being in the sun for almost a full day. That includes the lume of the dial as well as the hour, minute and seconds hand. Really weird that they didn't get the lume so sharp, as the crpo for comparison has excellent lume.

On my particular watch the lume on the minute hand is badly painted and uneven (as previously mentioned) and looks kind of tacky when examining it very closely.

Other than that, no problems at all.

Guest khashayar

Some pics of a gen lume just for reference:

post-52261-0-01777100-1375720280_thumb.j

post-52261-0-73475100-1375720295_thumb.j

On the right.

post-52261-0-91585600-1375720314_thumb.j

Perhaps the best one. The blue color is more turquoise/light blue than rep. Lume on hands much more thicker and "fuller".