When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega Seamaster 300m Ceramic Black - A review (finally)

Guest khashayar

just for a quick reference, heres my gen smp quartz that I modded myself...it has a crystal from a planet ocean, bezel ring from a planet ocean and the original smp insert...

had to use the po bezel to avoid the lip between bezel and crystal, however on the new smp-c, the bezel and ceramic insert are a lot taller than the older smp, so im hoping the crystal will be a straight swap height wise.

1000258_342215859245494_1505468064_n.jpg

1009810_342215762578837_866636267_n.jpg

check out the no crystal effect...even from relatively straight on...

644208_342215719245508_1909436311_n.jpg

1001919_342215942578819_959836828_n.jpg

you can see here the longer hands compared to the older model, so should look fine on the smp-c

549518_342215882578825_1924857849_n.jpg

954677_342215792578834_1509201251_n.jpg

and a final wrist shot...

1150929_342214612578952_1435588690_n.jpg

That is one of the nicest looking watches I've ever seen. Well done Sir!

Guest khashayar

Just a quick update:

I used a hair dryer as suggested by bamcky2k to heat up the glue, and gently pushed the pearl in until a decent position. This worked perfectly, and the watch was not damaged during the process.
Also glad I didn't have to take of the bezel.

Easy mod suggestion for everyone who gets the SMP-c and doesn't want their pearl sticking out like mount everest. 

• Like 1

Just a quick update:

I used a hair dryer as suggested by bamcky2k to heat up the glue, and gently pushed the pearl in until a decent position. This worked perfectly, and the watch was not damaged during the process.

Easy mod suggestion for everyone who gets the SMP-c and doesn't want their pearl sticking out like mount everest. 

glad it worked finally, makes a hell of a difference doesn't it!

@kernow, cheers man, modding gens is something I like doing just as much as reps...

Just a quick update:

Could you post a quick pic? Got my crsmp arriving this week all being well and this will be the first thing I do to it. Thanks.

A question as this was only touched upon in the review and/or subsequent replies; does the He valve turn? Or is it glued in place and immobile? I had a PO that had it's He valve immobile and this was bothersome.

Great review by the way. Ryan at Intime shows this rep with the pearl properly sunk-in to the bezel in case anyone is interested. Could be my next purchase if the He valve is not immobile.

Mine arrived this morning. Fantastic packaging from Josh may I add.

The watch is very nice under has a real quality feel about it actually. It a bit thicker than I'd hoped but when on the wrist it's not too noticeable.

FAF62ADE-47E6-4440-AD12-0634B4338F77-206

Overall a very well constructed ootb rep.

great stuff mate! the gen is also thicker than the older smp, I think it adds more wrist presence to an already cool watch

gen has same effect, if you go to an AD and look at a gen, it changes colour just as much. on mine, in direct sun light it can range from pitch black to almost silver, indoors pretty much always black. honestly the colour is very gen like. the blue version im waiting to see in real world pics, the gen blue is same as the black-very glossy and is almost a pale faded colour in some light yet dark blue in other situations...the rep blue looks too matte but we'll see soon hopfully

heres a gen black bezel for comparison (lifted from google images)

608495d1327185935-my-new-omega-300m-w-ce

don't dwell on the colour, its a fantastic rep!

This watch is superb..... The only difference I found between this and the gen was the pearl

post-52261-0-30833800-1375187573.jpg

608495d1327185935-my-new-omega-300m-w-ce

Regardless, I will still be getting it :)

both myself and another member on this thread have modded the pearl to sit flush with the bezel/insert and it makes a great difference...just read back through the last few pages and all the info is there!

@ryaku, the smp doesn't sit as tall as the planet ocean and wears flatter and wider, you should be more than ok with the smp...

Hello!

I just received mine today from Toros. Awesome quality I must say.

I have a question though, I noticed how my bezel and the insert are not aligned. Pearl is not below one of the pointy ends of the bezel.

I tried to turn the insert within the bezel but no luck. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help ;)

post-55922-0-24743600-1376427348_thumb.j

Hello!

I just received mine today from Toros. Awesome quality I must say.

I have a question though, I noticed how my bezel and the insert are not aligned. Pearl is not below one of the pointy ends of the bezel.

I tried to turn the insert within the bezel but no luck. If anyone knows how to fix this, please help ;)

Oops.  The bezel insert is ceramic and will chip if you try to pry it out with sharp object.  The proper way to fix it is to take the bezel off and then massage the bezel insert out, then re-set into place.  Unfortunately it is a risky process and you could injure yourself or scratch the watch badly while doing this.  It is best to probably leave it that way, it is not a big deal.  

If it bothers you tremendously (I am bothered by stuff like this too!), you could carefully try to warm the bezel insert with a blow dryer while you use a soft sharp object like a toothpick or a thin plastic card (thinner than a credit card) and see if the glue loosens up a bit.. then just reattach in the proper position, with the 5 minute markers aligning with the pointy ends.

Look up how to remove bezel on these.. it usually involves a sharp blade slid between the bezel and the watch--danger!  Or a special tool that costs $$ and looks like 4 razor blades pointing at each other lol.

Any idea how one would go about getting one of these water proofed for say swimming? Also, compared to a sub c, is this watch noticeably a lot bigger? 

the He valve may screw/unscrew but does not go through the entire case-theres no hole through to the movement so no probs there, the crown screws down pretty good (on mine atleast) with a lot of turns to lock it, crystal gasket was a little thin when I stripped my entire watch to check the build but works fine, caseback gasket is present and if greased will be fine, caseback tightens down nice and tight...and to top it off, I had mine pressure tested to both 50m then 100m at a local shop-it passed no problems! ofcourse get yours pressure tested as not all reps are the same...

the watch is bigger than a sub c yes...I found my no date sub c rep wore very small, good looking, but the seamaster feels more substantial on my wrist...

• Like 1

the He valve may screw/unscrew but does not go through the entire case-theres no hole through to the movement so no probs there, the crown screws down pretty good (on mine atleast) with a lot of turns to lock it, crystal gasket was a little thin when I stripped my entire watch to check the build but works fine, caseback gasket is present and if greased will be fine, caseback tightens down nice and tight...and to top it off, I had mine pressure tested to both 50m then 100m at a local shop-it passed no problems! ofcourse get yours pressure tested as not all reps are the same...

the watch is bigger than a sub c yes...I found my no date sub c rep wore very small, good looking, but the seamaster feels more substantial on my wrist...

Thank you for posting this!  When you stripped your watch, did you take the bezel off?  I would like to polish my bezel insert and align it while I'm at it, and I want to know if it was relatively easy or what method you used (I do not need to have an accident on this watch :p)  I have the blue version and the bezel is a "different" ceramic, basically it may be powder coated or spray coated and if I was able to "mirror" polish it it may look more like the gen bezel insert.

Thank you for posting this!  When you stripped your watch, did you take the bezel off?  I would like to polish my bezel insert and align it while I'm at it, and I want to know if it was relatively easy or what method you used (I do not need to have an accident on this watch :p)  I have the blue version and the bezel is a "different" ceramic, basically it may be powder coated or spray coated and if I was able to "mirror" polish it it may look more like the gen bezel insert.

I did indeed remove the bezel...its an absolute pain in the proverbial! its on there tight, and its very easy to bend the bezel ring...and also chip the ceramic insert if your not careful...looking at gen blue version pics from when this model was released the bezel is very shiny giving the blue an almost faded look-just like the black version looks grey/silver in certain light, however, when I viewed a blue version at an AD last week the bezel was more matte finish and almost textured...I asked the sales guy (a mate of mine) about this and hes under the impression omega tweaked the design slightly but couldn't say for 100%...the pics of yours actually looks quite close to the one I seen...

if you decided to try and polish it, you may well take the paint off if your not careful and wreck the bezel...a better way if you can get the bezel off and remove the insert with great care would be to give it a few coats of high gloss clear coat spray...would defo give a glossier/shinier appearance...

out of the box, the black is very much the closest to gen...in fact its mad how close for a first run rep...i'll be doing a thread in a week or so with a tear down review and pics...

• Like 1

thank you bamcky2k.  Did you use the knife to the bezel? Is there a particular zone or approach to this? I've done it on Subs, but tried on a SMP and I believe I changed my mind after a few tries. Your comment about the bezel insert having a V2 is very interesting.  I have only seen it once at the AD and that was prior to purchasing it.  

Q2(edit): is the insert glued on or has double-sided tape?

Edited by madmex

I used a bezel/caseback popping tool found in most cheap watch tool kits, it was tough...the gen smp bezels and gen planet ocean bezels ive changed were simple easy compared to this rep! the steel feels softer on the rep and is easily bent so take great care and work around equally as you go...also watch you don't damage the bezel retaining spring...

don't quote me on the bezel colour tweak by omega...however its what ive noticed and also what an AD had noticed...(he defo agreed that the blue ones he sold when first released did indeed have a glossier bezel finish than the blue one he had in recently...)

the insert id say is double sided taped in...a quick heat up with a hair drier and worked its way out, just watch you don't chip/crack/split the insert! the residue left behind was awful though and needed cleaning thoroughly bezel reattaching the insert. if you do pop yours see if the back of the insert is blue...if it is it could be one piece blue ceramic, if its black the blue is probably painted onto the front then possibly lacquered to give the shine...

the entire structure of the watch is extremely good for a rep though, on the black bezel version its really hard to find a fault with the watch both in looks and build quality...