When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

KW´s 3789 Top Gun special project.

Speedman

So what do you guys think about this?

IWC

3789 PILOT

GENUINE SOLID CERAMIC CASE

BLACK KEVLAR STRAP

SPECIAL PROJECT FROM DIFFERENT FACTORY

ONLY 100 PIECES TOTAL

7750 AUTOCHRONO AND WORKING REGULATEUR

Case Material : GENUINE BRUSHED CERAMIC.
Case Diameter : 44 MM
Movement : VALJOUX 7750 CLONED MOVEMENT.
AUTOCHRONO 28.800 V.P.H.
Functions : HOUR,DAY,DATE, CHRONOGRAPH
Glass : GENUINE CONVEX SAPPHIRE. SCRATCHPROOF
WITH DOUBLE AR COATED AS SWISS STANDARTS
Dial : MATTE BLACK
Bezel : SMOOTH
Bracelet : BLACK KEVLAR
Case Back : SOLID . INDIVIDUAL SERIAL NUMBER ON CASE BACK
Clasp Type : TANG BUCKLE
Water resistance : YES . ALSO 30M WATERPROOF TESTED BY FACTORY
Other Remarks :

*DATE WHEEL IS CORRECT. SAME AS THE GEN.
*ALL PARTS INTERCHANGEABLE WITH GENUINE PARTS
*CHRONO PUSHER BUTTONS ARE GENUINE TITANIUM
*INDIVIDUAL AND REAL SERIAL NUMBER ON CASE BACK
*CONVEX SAPPHIRE GLASS

top-gun1.jpg

top-gun2.jpg

top-gun5.jpg

top-gun7.jpg

top-gun8.jpg
  • Like 1

I can not believe it took a replica factory 4 years to give the midcase emblem the proper color. All the other Top Gun replicas have a bright white midcase logo on the side at 9 o'clock. This darker gunmetal grey color is much more gen-like.

I think it's beautiful.

Just be careful with it, after you buy it. The case is ceramic, not steel .. you can crack it to pieces if you are too rough with it. Gen and replica are known for this.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends if some one knows what they're looking for, tells for me on the 3789 are:

Chrono hand middle tail fin too long

Gen has raised rings around the chrono sub dials

Case side logo totally the wrong colour -- this one looks spot on :) ... I've just removed the paint completely on mine :)

Mine has a gen tube and crown but to be honest from pics I couldn't tell if it was rep.

So what is a tell then?

It's fairly easy to google image iwc top gun and get pics of gens and reps, the rep pictures even are tagged with rep website addresses.

How accurate do u want your rep? I know I'd like mine as near to gen as possible (I think I enjoy the process of sourcing parts and building it - rather than walking into an AD and buying one)

so will be going to great expense to change as many parts to gen as possible ( proper Franken )

:)

Center tail on the red jet on seconds hand is still too long.  Obvious tell on the reps when compared to the gens.

See pic of this gen here:

dsc03681.jpg

well spotted!

but look at this one

642725d1330877797-parnis-iwc-top-gun-chrIWC-Big-Pilot-Top-Gun-Watch-Chronograph-

We are in the arena of hyper-anal hobbyists here. A quarter of a milimeter tail is not an "obvious tell"

keep it real ;)

Might seem like splitting hairs to you, and it very may well be ... but I'm entitled to provide my two cents as OP did ask "what do you guys think?".  Keeping it as real as can be ;)

well spotted!

but look at this one

642725d1330877797-parnis-iwc-top-gun-chrIWC-Big-Pilot-Top-Gun-Watch-Chronograph-

Gran, the second photo you posted is the IWC 3880-01.  This model indeed has the red center tail on the seconds hand jet equal lengths, but in all IWC 3789-01 models, tail is always shorter in the center when compared to left and right wings.

I know, it's a small flaw... but it's just one of those things that catches your eye once you're aware of it.  Granted, 99% of the population wouldn't be able to tell, but a flaw is a flaw.  In any case, this model doesn't look too shabby, overall the IWC reps are fairly well made.

Edited by esco
  • Like 1